Windows 10: Allow local network traffic but block remote network traffic for specific program

Discus and support Allow local network traffic but block remote network traffic for specific program in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Is there a way using the Windows Firewall or another utility to block certain programs from accessing the internet but continue to allow them to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ADAMPOKE111, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Allow local network traffic but block remote network traffic for specific program

Is there a way using the Windows Firewall or another utility to block certain programs from accessing the internet but continue to allow them to communicate locally? (i.e. only on the local computer)

submitted by /u/ADAMPOKE111
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ADAMPOKE111, Apr 24, 2020

2. Can 'not' block virtualbox traffic with firewall

I am trying to configure my Windows system such I can block VirtualBox VM traffic to for example the internet but not the local network. That is I have some services on my local network that my VMs must access but I want to block all traffic outside of the local network e.g. to and from the Internet.

I am using Windows 10 and chose to use the Windows Firewall as the configuration can be added to group policy and enforced for all users. I note VirtualBox has several services and processes, and assume virtualboxvm.exe is the process for the running VM (?). I then configure rules to block all protocols and ports for the virtualboxvm.exe for all networks (domain, private, public) both inbound and outbound. However, when running a simple ping or browser on the VM access to the internet is still possible. My rule works fine when I change it to apply for all executables.

Any ideas why I cannot block VirtualBox network traffic via the Windows Firewall?

(Also posted here: virtualbox.org • View topic - Can 'not' block virtualbox traffic with firewall)

deanwarrenuk, Apr 24, 2020
  3. Erol_DE Win User
    KB4524147 / Startmenü / HP NetworkPrinters / unknown Network Traffic

Hello Microsoft,

• Printers
      • We have recived several reports from Companies we support about Issues with their Printer. From a close look all affected Companies are using HP MFPs. The Networks we provide with "other" MFP Suppliers are not affected. Our Solutions was to remove the KB4524147
        and restart the Clients.
    • StartMenue
      • Some Devices have fatal Startmenue failure. This could be solved by your Artikel given on another
        support request. The Issue here is that we have on several Companies different AP types. One for example has standart Desktops like: Desktop --> ASUS H310M-A R2.0 ; Intel Core i7 ; 8 GB RAM Windows 10 Professional. All Client AP are sset up with the same Update
        Level. Only a few devices have the Starmenue failure.
    • unknown Network Traffic
      • some Devices on another customer Network has started a significant raise of unknown Network Traffic. It did not caused any harm yet as our Firewall has recognized it and is now reporting every minute since then about this. The User is not complaining of
        any "change" on his Device? And also we figured out that remopving the KB4524147 stopps the network traffic. Reinstalling it causes it again. Again its on similar APs with same Setup like: Gigabyte Brix (mini PC) --> Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM / Windows 10 Pro.
        We are investigating still the cause. Could be coincidenc...
    Please let us now what kind of Data or Information you need to solve the Printer and StartMenue issue.

Please let us know if any other report is known about this "unkown network traffic" from your sides.

Thank you and best regards

CHSM Germany

Erol_DE, Apr 24, 2020
  4. farblue Win User

Allow local network traffic but block remote network traffic for specific program

Traffic updates

I've been testing the traffic update capabilities of Maps 2 and have found that, within the Birmingham city centre and surrounding areas, that the quality and accuracy of the information leaves much to be desired. I've found the updates focusing mainly
    on the multiple motorways around birmingham and often missing long-term road-works around the city and there seems to be a long delay in updating the data because listed incidents are cleared while new incidents are not reported.

Has anyone else had problems with the level of traffic update support they are receiving?

Are there plans to expand the traffic capabilities?

TomTom's system that knows about 'rush hour' traffic would be nice and I also don't see why (being network based) data on traffic speed in an area can't be gathered from other users of the Maps software to improve the traffic and route-planning capabilities
    of the software.

farblue, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

Allow local network traffic but block remote network traffic for specific program

1. Allow local network traffic but block remote network traffic for specific program - Similar Threads - Allow local network

2. NLA blocking SIP traffic?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NLA blocking SIP traffic?: Hi,We have some users from a call center working from home using a SIP client to take calls. When they connect to Wi-Fi looks like windows automatically changed the network profile to public. This was the issue. But all firewall profiles were off. If network sharing and...
  3. NLA blocking SIP traffic?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NLA blocking SIP traffic?: Hi,We have some users from a call center working from home using a SIP client to take calls. When they connect to Wi-Fi looks like windows automatically changed the network profile to public. This was the issue. But all firewall profiles were off. If network sharing and...
  4. Metered Network blocks local LAN traffic. The LAN isn't metered, only the WAN. How to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Metered Network blocks local LAN traffic. The LAN isn't metered, only the WAN. How to...: We have 5 computers on LAN, needing to share data, print, and send workstation backups to a NAS.This LAN has a router using 5G Cellular Hotspot as WAN connection.We've told Windows the it's a metered network to avoid downloading Windows Updates and the like.Problem is our...
  5. Metered Network blocks local LAN traffic. The LAN isn't metered, only the WAN. How to...

Metered Network blocks local LAN traffic. The LAN isn't metered, only the WAN. How to...: We have 5 computers on LAN, needing to share data, print, and send workstation backups to a NAS.This LAN has a router using 5G Cellular Hotspot as WAN connection.We've told Windows the it's a metered network to avoid downloading Windows Updates and the like.Problem is our...
  6. NetBIOS.Name.Service Traffic to bogon networks 192.0.0.6

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NetBIOS.Name.Service Traffic to bogon networks 192.0.0.6: Hi,My antivirus detected NetBIOS.Name.Service Traffic to bogon networks 192.0.0.6.Here are some details:Source port=137 Destination ip=192.0.0.6 Destination port=137 protocol=17 Is this normal behavior?...
  7. NetBIOS.Name.Service Traffic to bogon networks 192.0.0.6

NetBIOS.Name.Service Traffic to bogon networks 192.0.0.6: Hi,My antivirus detected NetBIOS.Name.Service Traffic to bogon networks 192.0.0.6.Here are some details:Source port=137 Destination ip=192.0.0.6 Destination port=137 protocol=17 Is this normal behavior?...
  8. mmc.exe Network Traffic? Should I Allow?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    mmc.exe Network Traffic? Should I Allow?: Hello,I got the notification that Windows Defender Firewall blocked mmc.exe while in Component Services and Event Viewer. Why is mmc.exe utilizing the network? Should I allow? Could this be used to harm my system? mmc.exe just views items and doesn't change settings?Windows...
  9. Monitoring incoming and outgoing network traffic separately?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Monitoring incoming and outgoing network traffic separately?: Is there a tool that will tell me the total quantity of outgoing and incoming network traffic on a Windows 10 machine for each app, without lumping the incoming and outgoing traffic together, and which will count ethernet traffic as well as wireless traffic? I have noticed...
  10. Simple Monitoring of Network Traffic?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Simple Monitoring of Network Traffic?: I used to use Kaspersky Internet Security which provided a useful tool to show which processes / services were accessing the internet. I now just use Defender and the standard Windows firewall. How can I monitor internet traffic in a similar manner to the Kaspersky software...