Windows 10: Allow WDAC application Control policy to allow Microsoft patches to run

Discus and support Allow WDAC application Control policy to allow Microsoft patches to run in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello All, I have created WDAC policy on Windows 10 enterprise. I created the WDAC policy in the following method: I used the following files to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Alles Fernando, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Allow WDAC application Control policy to allow Microsoft patches to run

Hello All,

I have created WDAC policy on Windows 10 enterprise. I created the WDAC policy in the following method:

I used the following files to merged and created the .BIN file

1. AllowMicrosoft.xmldefault Microsoft example files that comes with he OS- to allow Microsoft program to run

2.Program Files.xmlscanned the program Files for installed applications

3.Program Filesx86.xmlscanned the program Filesx86 for installed applications

4 BlockRules.xmlMicrosoft recommended block rules for WDAC

Merged the above 4 files and created the Mypolicy.xml and convertd to .bin files and copy to SIPolicy.p7b

However I can see Microsoft office patches.MSP downloaded from WSUs violated the code integrity.

I would like to know how to bypass the patch files in CI policy.I believe I cant scan the folder and merge with the existing policy as patch files would be different for different period?

one of the error msg :

code integriy module \windows\installer\MSI8448.tmp against policy

anybody can shed some light would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Regards,

Alles

:)

Alles Fernando, Nov 3, 2020

2. Use Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) with the Microsoft Intelligent Security Graph

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to enable trust for executables based on classifications in the ISG, the
    Enabled:Intelligent Security Graph authorization option must be specified in the WDAC policy. This can be done with the Set-RuleOption cmdlet. In addition, it is recommended from a security perspective to also enable the
    Enabled:Invalidate EAs on Reboot option to invalidate the cached ISG results on reboot to force rechecking of applications against the ISG.

Since the ISG relies on identifying executables as being known good, there are cases where it may classify legitimate executables as unknown, leading to blocks that need to be resolved either with a rule in the WDAC policy, a catalog signed by a certificate
    trusted in the WDAC policy or by deployment through a WDAC managed installer. Typically, this is due to an installer or application using a dynamic file as part of execution. These files do not tend to
    build up known good reputation. Auto-updating applications have also been observed using this mechanism and may be flagged by the ISG.

Modern apps are not supported with the ISG heuristic and will need to be separately authorized in your WDAC policy. As modern apps are signed by the Microsoft Store and Microsoft Store for Business. It is straightforward to authorize modern apps with
    signer rules in the WDAC policy.

Enabled:Intelligent Security Graph Authorization -> Use this option to automatically allow applications with "known good" reputation as defined by Microsoft’s Intelligent Security Graph (ISG).

Enabled:Invalidate EAs on Reboot -> When the Intelligent Security Graph option (14) is used, WDAC sets an extended file attribute that indicates that the file was authorized to run. This option will cause WDAC to periodically
    re-validate the reputation for files that were authorized by the ISG.

For more information, you may refer the below articles.

If you still have questions, then I suggest you to post your query in
    IT Pro TechNet Forums
    , where we have support
    professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) with the Microsoft Intelligent Security Graph.

Please feel free to contact us back, in case you have any other questions/issues with Windows in future.

Shafeeq_Khan, Nov 3, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Windows Defender Application Control enhancements in Windows 10 v1903

Source: https://www.microsoft.com/security/b...y-2019-update/

Brink, Nov 3, 2020
  4. Allow WDAC application Control policy to allow Microsoft patches to run

Use Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) with the Microsoft Intelligent Security Graph

Hi,

Thank you for replying and I apologize for the delayed response.

I suggest you to post this query in IT Pro TechNet Forums, where we have support professionals, who will answer all your questions related to Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) with the Microsoft Intelligent Security Graph and provide you more information
    on this.

Shafeeq_Khan, Nov 3, 2020
Thema:

Allow WDAC application Control policy to allow Microsoft patches to run

1. Allow WDAC application Control policy to allow Microsoft patches to run - Similar Threads - Allow WDAC application

2. Obfuscation of Code in Applications - Are Such Applications allowed on the Microsoft Store?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Obfuscation of Code in Applications - Are Such Applications allowed on the Microsoft Store?: Hello, this is more of an inquiry about the Microsoft Stores policies and if code obfuscation is prohibited. Recently, Roblox introduced a new system called Hyperion, an anti-tamper software developed by Byfron Technologies which the corporation bought in October 2022. While...
  3. Obfuscation of Code in Applications - Are Such Applications allowed on the Microsoft Store?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Obfuscation of Code in Applications - Are Such Applications allowed on the Microsoft Store?: Hello, this is more of an inquiry about the Microsoft Stores policies and if code obfuscation is prohibited. Recently, Roblox introduced a new system called Hyperion, an anti-tamper software developed by Byfron Technologies which the corporation bought in October 2022. While...
  4. WDAC How to allow .tmp.node file by Electron app?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WDAC How to allow .tmp.node file by Electron app?: Hi all,I'm facing an issue with .tmp.node file that executed by an application called Ledger Live and written by Electron.This application generated a temporary file with random filename in user's Temp folder and then executed.I tried to allow the application's folder...
  5. WDAC How to allow .tmp.node file by Electron app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WDAC How to allow .tmp.node file by Electron app?: Hi all,I'm facing an issue with .tmp.node file that executed by an application called Ledger Live and written by Electron.This application generated a temporary file with random filename in user's Temp folder and then executed.I tried to allow the application's folder...
  6. WDAC How to allow .tmp.node file by Electron app?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Family Control Bugged - No application recorded to allow access

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family Control Bugged - No application recorded to allow access: Hi, I installed Windows 10 in my computer and created an account to my kid. Everything works fine in my account including firefox and chrome that are needed to perform his school classes and online activities. However on my kids account firefox and chrome request permission...
  8. Unchecked Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unchecked Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device not working: In the sound control panel - Recording - Microphone - Advanced I unchecked the option Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device , but some applications like Microsoft Teams, Battle.net keep taking control and resetting the level of the microphone. Any...
  9. How to allow a blocked application

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to allow a blocked application: I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on an older Dell PC, I am finding that Windows Security is blocking applications that I trust such as HR Block tax software, Seagate backup, and Google backup and sync. I found the Microsoft help page "Allow a blocked app in...
  10. Application allowed to use location

in Browsers and Email
    Application allowed to use location: If you Go in Settings -> Location. You can enable/disable the location service and if you configure it as enabled you can change this permission on a per app basis. I have enabled some apps to use my location. I have have installed the Chrome web browser. It seems able to...