Windows 10: Almost all text is missing from windows 10

Discus and support Almost all text is missing from windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had a problem with permissions in windows 10 messing up the search indexer. I found someone with the similar problem who fixed his problem with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Skodd, May 30, 2017.

1. Skodd Win User

Almost all text is missing from windows 10

I had a problem with permissions in windows 10 messing up the search indexer. I found someone with the similar problem who fixed his problem with "Permissions Time Machine" (to reset all permission to default) It worked but I then restarted and got greeted with

https://i.imgur.com/mG6XLUZ.png

Everything in windows is missing text, desktop icons, windows explorer, context menu, cmd.exe.
    The only text I can see is from web browsers and windows metro UI apps (as you can see in the screen shot)

Any help is appreciated.

edit: I've tried a system restore but it failed

:)

Skodd, May 30, 2017
  2. Jerryless Win User

No text in downloaded manual

I downloaded a manual from Chevrolet for my new Camero.,

The pages loaded and there is no text on almost 400 pages,

Title page is there, but no text on any of the following pages.

Is it Windows 10 or am I missing something on my computer?

Jerryless, May 30, 2017
  3. HE XT Win User
    Almost all text missing after an in-place upgrade (W10 x64)

I've ran system restore in the recovery environment so no antivirus is running (and mine (malwarebytes) is not enabled anyway)

HE XT, May 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

How difficult would a clean install be for you?

And when you do again have a working PC, as we repeatedly strongly recommend, start using disk imaging routinely so you can rescue yourself from disasters such as a failed disk, ransomware, unbootable PC - and even user error... without technical help.

E.g, Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot disk + external storage for disk image sets.

How did system restore fail- what was the error message?
    (Note, you can start system restore having booted from a Win 10 boot disk)
    There are some threads about S.Restore failing and a fix.

However- it is likely that if permissions remain an issue, System Restore may not fix them.
    An in-place upgrade repair install is started when logged in- and you have necessary text missing so I doubt that would be feasible.

dalchina, May 30, 2017
  5. Skodd Win User
    Hi, I forgot to mention I had just "repaired" windows with this tutorial (Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials ) and it reinstalled the creator update.

For the system restore (via the recovery environment), the message is

System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer . Temporally disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore.
    An unspecified error occurred during System Restore, (0x80070005)

Skodd, May 31, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    No text in File Explorer other programs, or in right-click menu - Microsoft Community

Try doing a clean boot (a boot up of the most minimalistic features needed to start up the computer). Here's a link how to do it: How to Clean Boot Windows 10 and Windows 8

See if that brought back all the text during the clean boot. If so, then there is some conflict with, I'm assuming a driver, that is causing this. I would either look online for other people with the same issue and see what they did, or uninstalling drivers, restarting the computer and seeing if the text came back.

pepanee, Jun 2, 2017
  7. Skodd Win User
    Doing that is impossible, no text in msconfig, what I get is the title bar and it's stretched 3 km long.
    Also, I don't think a clean boot will help, the problems is present is safe mode too.

Skodd, Jun 2, 2017
  8. pepanee Win User

Hmh.. do you want to try this method?

I saw this site: How to Change Text Font Color of Title Bar in Windows 10

I can save that registry key and upload it here. You can try to apply it to your computer. (I don't have any custom font colors; it's all default), then restart your computer? maybe this can work?

pepanee, Jun 2, 2017
  9. Skodd Win User
    Skodd, Jun 2, 2017
  10. pepanee Win User
    I see. So the window itself is also screwed up as I can see in the picture.

I looked up online for Resetting the Windows 10 fonts... I reached this: Windows 10 Font Reset - Microsoft Community

Have you ran that sfc command yet? Try it out

pepanee, Jun 2, 2017
  11. Skodd Win User
    I've already run sfc scannow, DISM.exe and chkdsk to no avail. (and a registry hive rollback)

I also thought it could fonts but I ran FontReg - Windows Font Registration Installation Utility and tried changing the windows font by another one (with a reg script) but it also didn't help.

Skodd, Jun 2, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Can you get to Safe Mode? E.g. Shift left click any restart button if you can identify one- e.g. on your logon screen.

If so what do you see?

If no text, I suggest you simply cut your losses and clean install.

dalchina, Jun 2, 2017
  13. Skodd Win User

I can but the problem persists.

Skodd, Jun 2, 2017
  14. Skodd Win User
    Ok, I'm planning on backing up C:/Users/ , all drivers (c:\windows\system32\Drivers c:\windows\system32\DriverStore, ec:\windows\inf)

what else do I need

Skodd, Jun 3, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, it depends what personal data you think you need that you haven't already backed up. There might be program configuration settings, favourites.

Here's how I do it- I keep all personal data as far as possible off C: . I don't use the default libraries and don't bother to relocate them. That means I can quite readily reinstall the OS without risk to much of my data, which is on a different disk.

If you're concerned about drivers (normally you shouldn't need to back them up as Windows will provide them for you) there are progs that back up your drivers.

dalchina, Jun 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Almost all text is missing from windows 10 - Similar Threads - Almost text missing

2. Windows 10 Settings - Missing text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Settings - Missing text: Texts are missing on some settings, sometimes partially, sometimes fully. Buttons with missing text becomes unclickable.I've tried resetting the fonts settings to default settings....
  3. Disappearance Of Texts, Symbols , Etc In Almost All Apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disappearance Of Texts, Symbols , Etc In Almost All Apps: Hello ! Ive been having problems with my computer lately, most of my apps arent showing any texts or symbols, just images or such, ive tried refreshing my computer multiple times, ive tried restarting the app , nothing seems to happen , ive checked other questions but they...
  4. Text missing all over!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Text missing all over!: [ATTACH] So I have text missing from file names, from buttons and options inside Notepad and even from Task Manager. I can barley navigate the system, the files themselves are not courted and everything else works fine seemingly, chrome and other non-Windows programs are...
  5. Location Tab Missing from Almost All Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Location Tab Missing from Almost All Folders: WinVer = 19041.508 With one exception (and that one's Location Tab doesn't work), none of my folders, including new ones I create myself, have Location tabs. I did a due-diligence search and was overjoyed when I came up with this: How to Add or Remove Location tab in Folder...
  6. ALMOST ALL FILES ARE MISSING

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ALMOST ALL FILES ARE MISSING: Hi, Started my computer and noticed my desktop was almost blank, all loose files were gone but still the 2 folders I always have there where available. But when opening these folders I noticed only a few subfolders were left and each time with no files in them. I' ve...
  7. SOLVED: There are white outlines/highlighting over almost all text

SOLVED: There are white outlines/highlighting over almost all text: there is strange highlighting over almost all text and many search boxes. they mask text and are really annoying. I just did a reinstall of windows 10 and the newest update also. I want to get rid of these boxes....
  8. Text Missing/ displaying incorrectly all of a sudden

Text Missing/ displaying incorrectly all of a sudden: I have an issue on my laptop with text displaying incorrectly. It has happened all of a sudden and across multiple browsers and other software. The text looks as though pieces of individual letters are missing, occasionally they snap back into focus if I hover my mouse over...
  9. ALL TEXT IS MISSING FROM WINDOWS! HELP!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ALL TEXT IS MISSING FROM WINDOWS! HELP!: As the title states, no text on any program besides chrome, is available. This even includes task manager, file explorer, control panel, and command prompt! The problem does not go away in safe mode. I do not have a previous restore point to fall back on! I believe I may have...
  10. All text is missing from windows 10

All text is missing from windows 10: Hi All, I'm testing WINDOWS 10 PRO within the domain. After completing the join I encountered the same problem. At the first restart some characters disappear, while at the second restart they are no longer displayed at any point (contextual menu, explore resources, etc...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. almost-all-text-missing-windows

2. Almost all text is missing from windows 10