Windows 10: Almost if not everday Defender updates

Discus and support Almost if not everday Defender updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm running Defender as my one and only security software. No complaints with its performance yet I am mystified by the constant updates. I do not run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by lpatrick, Nov 16, 2017.

1. lpatrick Win User

Almost if not everday Defender updates

I'm running Defender as my one and only security software. No complaints with its performance yet I am mystified by the constant updates. I do not run my PC 24/7 so when it is up there are numerous Defender updates pending. Almost if not, one for each day. Is this normal for Defender? I did not notice such from my last security software McKafee. Just asking.............

FYI, after numerous and continuous blue screen problems I took my PC back to as original then installed all MS/hp updates. Since doing so I'm running straight MS applications, Edge, Mail, Defender. So far the PC and software is running perfectly. Could not be happier Granted our PC is for surfing and email enjoyment.

:)

lpatrick, Nov 16, 2017
  2. sjk2121 Win User

windows update almost every day even though "notify" is checked

I have tried everything to stop it but the computer restarts almost everday. the log indicates most days it's windows defender.

sjk2121, Nov 16, 2017
  3. Still cant download recommended updates

Best way to find out if you have chipset update still not installed is run Microsoft "show or hide update'" troubleshooter. I use this troubleshooter everday to see if there is Windows Defender update ready for installation.

go to:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Jmarco0921, Nov 16, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

"when it is up there are numerous Defender updates pending. "

How are you notified, in Action Center or other ? Defender updates should auto-install in the background. Windows Update will check for updates, incl Defender at startup and you should only be notified if an update requires Restart. You can manually update any time but there are usually no more than two definitions updates per day.

mrgeek, Nov 16, 2017
  5. Try3 Win User
    Yes. Anti-malware applications get their internal malware definitions databases updated at least daily.

The application itself might get updated from time to time but the constant updates you refer to are the malware definitions updates.

[McAfee behaved in the same way unless it was faulty or updates had somehow been disabled in its settings.]

Denis

6. lpatrick Win User
    If the PC up seems I have to look for updates. The Defender updates are not auto installing unless it is just coincidence it happens most nights around 9 - 10. Now, note that once an update is located it does self install. Maybe stems from the PC BEING off. I think I have all auto update settings correct. (?)

thanks

lpatrick, Nov 16, 2017
  7. lpatrick Win User
    I am online tonight and will not check for updates. Will give W10 the opportunity to download and install as set. Will keep our PC up and let it go to sleep on its own. Tomorrow or Monday I intend to check update history to see of the daily Defender updates took place. This tactic should answer my questions. Thanks for everyone's help.

Louis

lpatrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Almost if not everday Defender updates - Similar Threads - Almost everday Defender

2. Updating almost impossible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updating almost impossible: My windows 10 PC downloading updates is impossible as of the moment. The download button is greyed out and will not provide you option to update. The last update was last month this year so im aware that it is just working before. I dont know what happens and why I cant...
  3. Updating almost impossible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updating almost impossible: My windows 10 PC downloading updates is impossible as of the moment. The download button is greyed out and will not provide you option to update. The last update was last month this year so im aware that it is just working before. I dont know what happens and why I cant...
  4. Updating almost impossible

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Defender finds 1 threat almost every scan.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender finds 1 threat almost every scan.: When ever I run a quick scan, windows defender says it found 1 threat and took action, but there is nothing in protection history. If I run it straight after it took action, it finds no threats. But if I run it again after that it finds one threat and takes action, but again...
  6. Disabling Windows Defender By (Almost) Any Means Necessary

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling Windows Defender By (Almost) Any Means Necessary: I just want to disable windows defender. No registry editing or group policy editing have worked for me in the last year, and I'm tired of trying old tricks. I just don't want to see the damned thing in my task manager anymore destroying my memory usage and I'm willing to...
  7. Everday computer locks up - started Dec 2018 after Win 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Everday computer locks up - started Dec 2018 after Win 10 update: This seems to be fully documented over internet sites. I have even followed the reinstall instructions from Microsoft with no help. I had a Dec 2018 clone drive of my data. So as I installed it, here come the Win 10 updates and problem was back. I have completely...
  8. Defender is hogging almost 200 MB of memory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Defender is hogging almost 200 MB of memory: And my laptop is running kind of slow and I don't wanna disable it how do I solve this submitted by /u/XIIES [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dtux0s/defender_is_hogging_almost_200_mb_of_memory/
  9. Windows 10 2019 Verson 1809. Defender updates almost every day !

Windows 10 2019 Verson 1809. Defender updates almost every day !: Definition updates for Windows Defender Antivirus and other Microsoft antimalware Do not see a reason this has to occur this frequently. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-10-2019-verson-1809-defender-updates/3c22baad-d552-45be-88cc-004712607913
  10. windows 10 2019 Verson 1809 defender update almost evry day !

windows 10 2019 Verson 1809 defender update almost evry day !: Definition updates for Windows Defender Antivirus and other Microsoft antimalware Do not see a reason this has to occur this frequently. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-10-2019-verson-1809-defender-update-almost/3c22baad-d552-45be-88cc-004712607913