Windows 10: Alt and shift keys suddenly behaving weirdly

Discus and support Alt and shift keys suddenly behaving weirdly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have two issues that seem linked, though I can't say exactly how 1 When using "Left Alt+number from number pad + release alt" to enter a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MartinSoucy1, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Alt and shift keys suddenly behaving weirdly

Hi,

I have two issues that seem linked, though I can't say exactly how

1 When using "Left Alt+number from number pad + release alt" to enter a special character, only the last digit of the number is taken into account. For instance, if I press Alt+247, hoping to get an "almost equal to" double wave symbol, I only get •, which is Alt+7. I tested this in many ways, and always it's as if I had only pressed the last digit, not the whole number.

2 When I press shift, release shift, then enter a letter, I get the capital version of that letter, even if I'm no longer pressing shift as I enter the letter. This only affects the first letter pressed after the shift. If I press shift twice, then a letter, that letter is in small caps.

These are new issues, I noticed them only a couple of days ago, though it might be slightly older.

I tested with different keyboard configurations and it's always the same.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

:)

MartinSoucy1, Mar 23, 2020
  2. Fonebone1 Win User

RD Client app broken since Windows 10 Anniversary Update: Shift, Ctrl, and Alt keys not working

I was using the Windows RD Client (App Store version) with Windows 10 uneventfully with perfect functionality right up until the Anniversary Update automatically installed on my machine about a week ago. Now, the Shift, Ctrl, and Alt keys do not work properly
    anymore within the remote desktop window. The keys all work fine on my local machine/desktop so it's not a hardware issue.

Here are the detailed behaviors of the various meta keys:

• The Shift and Ctrl keys don't work with the RD client window maximized, but the Alt key does work (- Shift, - Ctrl, + Alt)
    • In full-screen mode the Shift, Ctrl, and Alt keys behave the same as when the window is maximized (- Shift, - Ctrl, + Alt)
    • The Shift and Ctrl keys do work when the RD client window isn't maximized, but the Alt key doesn't work (+ Shift, + Ctrl, - Alt)
    • Most bizarrely, if the window isn't maximized, but I drag the side window edges to make the window almost as wide as the screen, it starts to behave as if the window were maximized (- Shift, - Ctrl, +Alt) when both window side edges get close to the side
      screen edges. The same does not happen, however, when I drag the top and bottom window edges up and down, respectively, to make the window as tall as possible.
    I need to use the RD Client almost daily for work so this is extremely annoying and affects productivity. I see that I am not the first to report this issue. Is this issue being looked into for a permanent fix rather than the poor workaround solution of
    having to alternate maximizing and restoring the window depending on which meta key I need to use? Is uninstalling the Anniversary Update an option, or will it just keep being reinstalled?

Fonebone1, Mar 23, 2020
  3. Dyan Rey Win User
    Windows 10 "Left Alt + Shift" language input switch suddenly stop working. It used to work before.

Hi Jida,

There are a few reasons why "Left Alt + Shift" is suddenly stopped working on your computer. Since you mentioned that you already tried some troubleshooting steps, we suggest that you create a
    Test Profile. From there, check if the issue occurs.

To create a user profile, follow these steps:

• Go to Settings. Click Accounts.
    • Select Family & other people.
    • Select the Add someone else to this PC tab.
    • Name the user as Test.
    • Leave the password field blank.
    • Hit Next.
    • Sign in as Test user.
    Let us know how it works.

Dyan Rey, Mar 23, 2020
  4. Alt and shift keys suddenly behaving weirdly

Make a shift key behave like an arrow key

I have a Windows 10 laptop with a keyboard designed by idiots. They tried to cram the arrow keys where they don't belong, with the result that the up arrow key is between the right shift key and the / key (US keyboard layout). This is one of the stupidest things the designers could have done, because it means that when I go to hit the right shift key (which is most of the time), I end up hitting up arrow instead. This is incredibly annoying.

I found a program called Sharp Keys which allows me to remap the keys such that the up arrow behaves as shift and the right shift behaves as up arrow. Now, at least I can type. However, I've now lost important functionality for the up arrow key. Up arrow (now labeled "shift" on my keyboard) doesn't repeat. So, I can't just hold the key down to move up. Instead, I have to hit the key repeatedly. How can I fix this, so my right shift key behaves like up arrow and my up arrow key behaves like right shift?

EDIT

Following a suggestion from the comments, I installed AutoHotkey. I have the following script:

I have the same problem as earlier. But, since AHK is a scripting language, is it possible to use it to change the repeat behavior?

Scott Severance, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

Alt and shift keys suddenly behaving weirdly

1. Alt and shift keys suddenly behaving weirdly - Similar Threads - Alt shift keys

2. ALT key is acting weird

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ALT key is acting weird: Hello, I don't know if this is a bug or a virus. The alt keys launches a burst of commands on Chrome or Edge: - https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2044782- https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2044904- https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2044773-...
  3. Alt + Shift / Ctrl + Shift / Windows key + Space not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt + Shift / Ctrl + Shift / Windows key + Space not working: Version : Windows 10 ProThe problem is I can't use alt + shift to change my input language.I have tried methods like- changing language input hotkey- ctfmon thing- restarting computerand it still doesn't fix my problem.Also my language bar is missing too. I have set it to...
  4. Alt + Shift / Ctrl + Shift / Windows key + Space not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt + Shift / Ctrl + Shift / Windows key + Space not working: Version : Windows 10 ProThe problem is I can't use alt + shift to change my input language.I have tried methods like- changing language input hotkey- ctfmon thing- restarting computerand it still doesn't fix my problem.Also my language bar is missing too. I have set it to...
  5. Enter key behaves like shift+enter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enter key behaves like shift+enter: When doing anything, like typing in Word or typing into the Google search bar, my Enter key doesn't do what it normally would do, like creating a new paragraph in Word or searching in Google. Instead, it acts like shift+enter. This also happens with the on-screen keyboard....
  6. Enter key behaves like shift+enter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enter key behaves like shift+enter: When doing anything, like typing in Word or typing into the Google search bar, my Enter key doesn't do what it normally would do, like creating a new paragraph in Word or searching in Google. Instead, it acts like shift+enter. This also happens with the on-screen keyboard....
  7. Keyboard Keys behaving weird

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard Keys behaving weird: Windows key = volume downUp key= brightness lowSpace = enter Backspace = tab+backspace"W" not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-keys-behaving-weird/bb793a97-9597-4b1b-a352-a92c89c7dea8
  8. Windows is behaving weird

Windows is behaving weird: So I have encountered a strange problem in my windows 10 pc. When I turn on my pc, I am unable to type numbers either through the numeric keypad or the numbers at the top. When I press the number keys on topwithout pressing shift key it types symbols and not numbers....
  9. Shift keys not behave as expected in window10 HP elitebook

Shift keys not behave as expected in window10 HP elitebook: My shift keys are not behaving as expected. Please find following concerns. When press right shift key then prints q character. When press left shift key then prints z character When i need to print A it prints as qA I didn't change any settings or configurations. Can...
  10. Left Shift Behaving Strangely

Left Shift Behaving Strangely: hi, I have a Asus VivoBook s15 510UA that i purchased 7 months back. But from the last 1 week i am having a really strange issue with my K/B. let me explain this a bit. this Laptop doesn't have any number pad/ numeric key set. So when i am talking about number keys i am...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shift keys behaving weired in windows 10