Windows 10: ALT Characters WON'T type

Discus and support ALT Characters WON'T type in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I am using a French keyboard (Dell SK-8165). The top numbers row has 12 keys. The firs left key has: #, \ and | characters The second key has:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by YvesB, Nov 17, 2018.

1. YvesB Win User

ALT Characters WON'T type

Hi,

I am using a French keyboard (Dell SK-8165). The top numbers row has 12 keys.

The firs left key has: #, \ and | characters

The second key has: 1, ! and + and - characters

The third key has: 2, " and @ characters

The fourth key has: 3, / and £ characters

The fifth key has: 4. $ and ¢ characters

The sixth key has: 5, % and ¤ characters

The seventh key has: 6, ? and ¬ characters

The height key has: 7, & and ¦ characters

The night key has: 8, * and ² characters

The tenth key has: 9, ( and ³ characters

The 11th key has: 0, ) and ¼ characters

The 12th key has: -, _ and ½ characters

the 13th key has: =, + and ¾ characters

Note I was able to cut and paste many of the characters above using Windows Characters Map. Otherwise I would not have been able to do this. Also note that I have not entered many other keys characters printed on my keyboard.

However, I cannot type/output these characters using French Canada language from my keyboard.

Can someone indicate how I could type into a document all the characters printed on my keyboard keys without using Characters Map. I have tried using the AltGr key left of the Windows key on my keyboard, but it does not output the character printed on the key.

What is my keyboard supposed to Output for every key either in French Canada and/or English US.

Thanks,

:)

YvesB, Nov 17, 2018
  2. Try3 Win User
  3. ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

I find it easier to just press the key with 1 on it, instead of Alt+(numpad)49 *Wink

Thanks for posting the information and the portable doc.

Every Windows has Charmap in Start | Windows Accessories. It's great if you need a one time character, but not as convenient as learning the few often typed characters such as the ones Dick mentioned.

If you want to go further with characters, beyond this thread then you should take a peek at Charmap

ALT Characters WON'T type [​IMG]

Slartybart, Nov 17, 2018
  4. f14tomcat Win User

type a symbol or character representing more or less

@budi

Re-reading your post, looks like you're needing this:

≥ (ALT + 242)

≤ (ALT + 243)

*Arrow Alt Codes List of Alt Key Codes Symbols

f14tomcat, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

1. ALT Characters WON'T type - Similar Threads - ALT Characters WON'T

2. Notepad won't accept ASCII characters when typed in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad won't accept ASCII characters when typed in: Hello everybody: whenever I try to enter an ASCII character when typing in Notepad, the character simply won't appear, for example, if I type "Alt+165" in order to place a "Ñ", or if I type "Alt+130" in order to place an "é", those characters won't appear in the text and...
  3. Notepad won't accept ASCII characters when typed in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad won't accept ASCII characters when typed in: Hello everybody: whenever I try to enter an ASCII character when typing in Notepad, the character simply won't appear, for example, if I type "Alt+165" in order to place a "Ñ", or if I type "Alt+130" in order to place an "é", those characters won't appear in the text and...
  4. Typing Alt+0152 and Alt+0153 returns wrong characters instead of uppercase and lowercase oe...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Typing Alt+0152 and Alt+0153 returns wrong characters instead of uppercase and lowercase oe...: I am using Windows 10 version 21H2, 19044.1466 with keyboard set to English Canada — Canadian Multilingual Standard which should not matter in this case. Pressing NumLock and typing some combinations results in the wrong characters.Alt+0152 returns character SMALL TILDE...
  5. Typing Alt+0152 and Alt+0153 returns wrong characters instead of uppercase and lowercase oe...

Typing Alt+0152 and Alt+0153 returns wrong characters instead of uppercase and lowercase oe...: I am using Windows 10 version 21H2, 19044.1466 with keyboard set to English Canada — Canadian Multilingual Standard which should not matter in this case. Pressing NumLock and typing some combinations results in the wrong characters.Alt+0152 returns character SMALL TILDE...
  6. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type alt characters into Notepad: Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric keypad, such as –, —, é, à. Seems to be a really major omission to disallow basic, common characters like that. How can we enter...
  7. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

Cannot type alt characters into Notepad: Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric keypad, such as –, —, é, à. Seems to be a really major omission to disallow basic, common characters like that. How can we enter...
  8. Typing characters issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Typing characters issue: Why does my laptop keyboard type different characters than what is intended? It only does it occasionally like tpis. <---example: p for h Rigpt now I'm using Cprome. I go to MS Edge and it is fine. I go to MS Excel, Word, it is normal. I pave to close everytping and...
  9. Disabling ctrl alt characters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling ctrl alt characters: Hello Microsoft community, I have never had this problem until today when I did a fresh install of Windows 10. A lot of programs I use for development have ctrl alt shortcuts, for some reason some of the keys do not toggle the shortcuts I have bound to them. Upon further...
  10. Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters: This problem has gone one for 3 years. ALT+### codes do not work for most Windows Apps. I have had Windows Support troubleshoot this, with no success. I have had SteelSeries (keyboard manufacturer) troubleshoot this, with no success. The only app I have that it works with is...