Windows 10: Alt code results in wrong character

Discus and support Alt code results in wrong character in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I tried Alt 236 and it is supposed to be ∞ but i got ý. And Alt 0253 is ý too. Anyone know how to fix this? i use Unicode.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NhungHoàng99, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Alt code results in wrong character

I tried Alt 236 and it is supposed to be ∞ but i got ý. And Alt 0253 is ý too. Anyone know how to fix this? i use Unicode.

:)

NhungHoàng99, Dec 28, 2020

2. Windows 10 - Alt code results in wrong character

Instead of trying to remember that ✓ is U+2713 (which I am unable to), I can suggest trying a piece of software I maintain called WinCompose. It inserts itself in the keyboard input chain and when using the default Right Alt as a compose key, lets you enter combinations such as:

• Right Alt @ / for ✓
    • Right Alt @ X for ✗
    • Right Alt [ Space ] for ☐
    • Right Alt [ / ] for ☑
    • Right Alt [ x ] for ☒
    • … and thousands more

There is a GUI that lets you search for sequences and characters. Of course if you only know the Unicode codepoint for a given character and not the (supposedly intuitive) combination, you can still activate Unicode input in WinCompose and do the following:

• Right Alt u 2 7 1 3 for ✓

Finally, note that Windows doesn’t let you enter Unicode characters beyond U+FFFF with the EnableHexNumpad key, so you won’t be able to enter e.g. U+1F4A9, but WinCompose lets you do this:

• Right Alt u 1 f 4 a 9 for

sam hocevar, Dec 28, 2020
  3. Ben N Win User
    Windows 10 - Alt code results in wrong character

By default, the numeric keypad way of entering characters by code can only access the first 256 characters. (I believe these are defined by your system's code page for non-Unicode programs.) Codes bigger than 256 get wrapped around, so code 257 actually gets you character 1.

To enable the entry of all Unicode characters by code, create a string registry value in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Input Method called EnableHexNumpad with the value of 1. Then you'll be able to enter any character by holding down the right Alt key, pressing the + button on the numeric keypad, entering the hex code (2, 7, 1, 3 in your case), and releasing the Alt key. You may need to log off and back on before this input type is enabled.

Note that the non-+ method of entering ASCII characters by code will continue to wrap around even after you enable this mode.

Ben N, Dec 28, 2020
  4. Alt code results in wrong character

ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

I find it easier to just press the key with 1 on it, instead of Alt+(numpad)49 *Wink

Thanks for posting the information and the portable doc.

Every Windows has Charmap in Start | Windows Accessories. It's great if you need a one time character, but not as convenient as learning the few often typed characters such as the ones Dick mentioned.

If you want to go further with characters, beyond this thread then you should take a peek at Charmap

Alt code results in wrong character [​IMG]

Slartybart, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

Alt code results in wrong character

1. Alt code results in wrong character - Similar Threads - Alt code results

2. wrong characters in keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wrong characters in keys: I just bought my HP 840 G1 and noticed that all characters requiring use of SHIFT key were in the wrong keys what could be the problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-characters-in-keys/7c834f71-6758-45ce-bba1-3b395acdf67f
  3. wrong characters in keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wrong characters in keys: I just bought my HP 840 G1 and noticed that all characters requiring use of SHIFT key were in the wrong keys what could be the problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-characters-in-keys/7c834f71-6758-45ce-bba1-3b395acdf67f
  4. Typing Alt+0152 and Alt+0153 returns wrong characters instead of uppercase and lowercase oe...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Typing Alt+0152 and Alt+0153 returns wrong characters instead of uppercase and lowercase oe...: I am using Windows 10 version 21H2, 19044.1466 with keyboard set to English Canada — Canadian Multilingual Standard which should not matter in this case. Pressing NumLock and typing some combinations results in the wrong characters.Alt+0152 returns character SMALL TILDE...
  5. Typing Alt+0152 and Alt+0153 returns wrong characters instead of uppercase and lowercase oe...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Typing Alt+0152 and Alt+0153 returns wrong characters instead of uppercase and lowercase oe...: I am using Windows 10 version 21H2, 19044.1466 with keyboard set to English Canada — Canadian Multilingual Standard which should not matter in this case. Pressing NumLock and typing some combinations results in the wrong characters.Alt+0152 returns character SMALL TILDE...
  6. Wrong Characters . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong Characters . . .: I have a Dell Laptop, running Windows 10 Pro . . . You are reading4 my problem. If I type g, upper and lower case. I get g4G$ If, I type h. Upper and lower case. I get h7H& Their are others. If, I type " I get ". If I type ' I get '0 Now, I'll type all numbers and letters....
  7. Alt codes for special characters not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alt codes for special characters not working: I have a new Lenovo Yoga 530 with Windows 10. My keyboard doesn't have a numpad on the right hand side. Alt codes for special characters are not working in document apps or any other text input area in a web browser etc. I have done the following but it hasn't worked: 1....
  8. Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters: This problem has gone one for 3 years. ALT+### codes do not work for most Windows Apps. I have had Windows Support troubleshoot this, with no success. I have had SteelSeries (keyboard manufacturer) troubleshoot this, with no success. The only app I have that it works with is...
  9. Wrong characters with keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wrong characters with keyboard: Hi My keyboard now displays @ when I press shift/double quotes and the opposite when I press shift/at sign. Where do I go to check what keyboard options have been set up during the upgrade. Thanks Daniel 10427
  10. ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List: How to: ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List How to Type Special Characters with ALT Keyboard Sequences [img] Information Many special characters are available that may not appear on your keyboard. This tutorial will show you how to type special characters using...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 - alt code results in wrong character

2. www.windowsphoneinfo.com

3. alt codes wrongly display another character