Windows 10: Alt codes for special characters not working

Discus and support Alt codes for special characters not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a new Lenovo Yoga 530 with Windows 10. My keyboard doesn't have a numpad on the right hand side. Alt codes for special characters are not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DeliaBester, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Alt codes for special characters not working

I have a new Lenovo Yoga 530 with Windows 10. My keyboard doesn't have a numpad on the right hand side.

Alt codes for special characters are not working in document apps or any other text input area in a web browser etc.

I have done the following but it hasn't worked:

1. Ease of Access Mouse settings: 'Use Mouse Keys when Numlock is on' -> OFF

2. Regedit -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Input Method -> Created a string value called EnableHexNumpad with the value of 1

3. Use Fn and Alt keys

Alt codes for special characters not working 24d2cd2d-9212-4434-9d99-0101ddc4dc4c?upload=true.png

Nothing works to get special characters. I can use the Charmap function but it is long-winded and not conducive for fast typing (I type in languages that contain many special characters.)

Any ideas? Suggestions?

:)

DeliaBester, Nov 26, 2019

2. ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

I find it easier to just press the key with 1 on it, instead of Alt+(numpad)49 *Wink

Thanks for posting the information and the portable doc.

Every Windows has Charmap in Start | Windows Accessories. It's great if you need a one time character, but not as convenient as learning the few often typed characters such as the ones Dick mentioned.

If you want to go further with characters, beyond this thread then you should take a peek at Charmap

Alt codes for special characters not working [​IMG]

Slartybart, Nov 26, 2019
  3. LarryFJr Win User
    Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters

This problem has gone one for 3 years. ALT+### codes do not work for most Windows Apps. I have had Windows Support troubleshoot this, with no success. I have had SteelSeries (keyboard manufacturer) troubleshoot this, with no success. The only app I have
    that it works with is TED Note. With that, I can create the special character (IE: ALT+168 for ¿) and then copy and paste it to Google Chrome or other Windows apps. ALT+Codes do not work in Chrome, Windows Notepad, Wordpad or Internet Explorer 11. It does
    work in Microsoft Edge and Ted Note.

LarryFJr, Nov 26, 2019
  4. LittleJay Win User

Alt codes for special characters not working

ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

Thanks for this PDF file list of special characters! It will come in very handy, *Thumbs

LittleJay, Nov 26, 2019
Thema:

Alt codes for special characters not working

1. Alt codes for special characters not working - Similar Threads - Alt codes special

2. special character is not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    special character is not working: i am supporting couple companies and recetly have lot of issue with my users , the sepcial characters is not working and mostly users passwrd are include these characters and they cant log into their softwares and their account get locked , mostly after a reboot it back to...
  3. special character is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    special character is not working: i am supporting couple companies and recetly have lot of issue with my users , the sepcial characters is not working and mostly users passwrd are include these characters and they cant log into their softwares and their account get locked , mostly after a reboot it back to...
  4. special character is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Alt short commands not working for special characters?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt short commands not working for special characters?: Hey, so I have this weird thing going on with my keyboard. Suddenly can't type special characters like for example ~, without having to use the numpad number for it, like normally I just press a "normal button" on my keyboard next to the Enter Key. The Ä button on a...
  6. Alt short commands not working for special characters?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Alt short commands not working for special characters?: Hey, so I have this weird thing going on with my keyboard. Suddenly can't type special characters like for example ~, without having to use the numpad number for it, like normally I just press a "normal button" on my keyboard next to the Enter Key. The Ä button on a...
  7. Alt short commands not working for special characters?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Keboard Special Characters not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keboard Special Characters not working: I have a Dell Inspiron 5567 windows 10. In that the special characters in the numbersnext row after function keys not working while I use Shift + that key sometimes. The Numbers working fine, But the characters Not....
  9. Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters: This problem has gone one for 3 years. ALT+### codes do not work for most Windows Apps. I have had Windows Support troubleshoot this, with no success. I have had SteelSeries (keyboard manufacturer) troubleshoot this, with no success. The only app I have that it works with is...
  10. ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List: How to: ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List How to Type Special Characters with ALT Keyboard Sequences [img] Information Many special characters are available that may not appear on your keyboard. This tutorial will show you how to type special characters using...