Windows 10: Alt Key Character Inputs (Keystrokes) not working on Windows 10

Discus and support Alt Key Character Inputs (Keystrokes) not working on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; hello, I just bought a brand new laptop with Windows 10 installed, which i use for work & study. I have always relied quite heavily upon the Alt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LawrenceNugent, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Alt Key Character Inputs (Keystrokes) not working on Windows 10

hello,

I just bought a brand new laptop with Windows 10 installed, which i use for work & study.

I have always relied quite heavily upon the Alt key character shortcuts as my line of work requires frequent use of greek characters & mathematical symbols but these commands do not work on my new laptop.

I’ve read many similar conplaints & responses on the MS forums & I’ve tried several different approaches to try & enable this feature but had no success.

So far I have tried the following:

- Changed the default language in settings

- Changed mouse preferences in accessibility settings

- Changed various keyboard settings

- Tried using either Alt key

- Tried using Alt with Fn key (& various other combos)

If i hold the Alt key down some black numbered squares appear on the screen but when I enter the keystroke numbers nothing happens. That said; after i made some of the above changes, the Alt key would start performing weird shortcuts (trying to open or save files etc.). My laptop keyboard only has numbered keys at the top but i think that some of the letters may serve as a numerical pad but they arent labelled. The keyboard doesn’t have Num or Scroll Locks & I havent been able to identify anything that might act in their stead.

I am familiar with the character map feature but it is a very painful process having to search through all the hundreds of symbols to find thr ones I need & especially with the frequency that I use them. Its especially frustrating when the character map even gives you the Alt keystroke code but the OS won’t complete the command.

My research has led me to believe that this feature is no longer active on Windows 10 (following an update), whether this was intentional or not I don’t know but I’m really hoping there’s a simple way to get it working again. I don’t like the idea of having to download any additional apps etc (for something that should already be working), so that to me would be a last resort.

Some help would be very much appreciated. The laptop is an MSI (if that helps at all)

Many thanks.

:)

LawrenceNugent, Jan 1, 2019

2. ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

I find it easier to just press the key with 1 on it, instead of Alt+(numpad)49 *Wink

Thanks for posting the information and the portable doc.

Every Windows has Charmap in Start | Windows Accessories. It's great if you need a one time character, but not as convenient as learning the few often typed characters such as the ones Dick mentioned.

If you want to go further with characters, beyond this thread then you should take a peek at Charmap

Alt Key Character Inputs (Keystrokes) not working on Windows 10 [​IMG]

Slartybart, Jan 1, 2019
  3. ALT keys not working after developers update

Hello Paul,

To help us identify the cause of this problem, we would like to know the following information:

• Which type of Windows device are you currently using? (PC, tablet or laptop)
    • If your device has 2 Alt button, does it happen on both Alt keys on the keyboard?
    • Since you're trying to input a special character using Alt key, have you checked if the Num Lock key is activated?
    In the meantime, we recommend that you check if Sticky Keys is turned on in the Accessibility settings. Sticky Keys lets you press one key at a time for keyboard shortcuts. To check, refer to the steps below:

• Click on Start.
    • Click on the gear icon to open the Settings.
    • Click on Ease of Access.
    • On the left panel, click on Keyboard.
    • Turn off Sticky Keys.

Regile Reb, Jan 1, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Alt Key Character Inputs (Keystrokes) not working on Windows 10

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

Alt Key Character Inputs (Keystrokes) not working on Windows 10

1. Alt Key Character Inputs (Keystrokes) not working on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Alt Key Character

2. Alt key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt key not working: So, it all started 6/25/2022, my alt key suddenly started to work like 1/10 times, I've contacted the Microsoft Support and they helped me by solving the problem with performing a clean windows installation. 8 days ago the problem appeared once again, I performed a "System...
  3. Alt-Character Code is repeating after hitting the next keystroke - section symbols

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt-Character Code is repeating after hitting the next keystroke - section symbols: I frequently use the alt-character code for the section symbol § alt+0167. However, After I entered the code and hit another key e.g., the space key it automatically adds another § symbol. Why is that? How can I stop that?...
  4. Alt-Character Code is repeating after hitting the next keystroke - section symbols

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt-Character Code is repeating after hitting the next keystroke - section symbols: I frequently use the al-character code for the section symbol § alt+0167. However, After I entered the code and hit another key e.g., the space key it automatically adds another § symbol. Why is that? How can I stop that?...
  5. input by "alt" key + more

in Windows 10 Gaming
    input by "alt" key + more: Hello, 2 ways are well known:either hold the alt key and then use a 2 or 3 digit number to get the sign you want to haveor hold the alt key and use such number, but punch the 0 at first, and then another 2 or 3 digit code. However, there is a third option:hold the alt key and...
  6. input by "alt" key + more

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    input by "alt" key + more: Hello, 2 ways are well known:either hold the alt key and then use a 2 or 3 digit number to get the sign you want to haveor hold the alt key and use such number, but punch the 0 at first, and then another 2 or 3 digit code. However, there is a third option:hold the alt key and...
  7. Alt Keys not working on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Alt Keys not working on Windows 10: Any reason why my left and right ALT keys arent working? Ive tried 2 different keyboards. Almost like its disabled. submitted by /u/xGrimVeritaSx [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h935y6/alt_keys_not_working_on_windows_10/
  8. Why is my Character Map display missing the Keystroke: Alt + numpad codes in the bottom...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is my Character Map display missing the Keystroke: Alt + numpad codes in the bottom...: Why is my Character Map display missing the Keystroke: Alt + numpad codes in the bottom right corner of the window on Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-character-map-display-missing-the/da6381b8-615e-4b55-aab6-ec57d2ab0957
  9. Alt codes for special characters not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alt codes for special characters not working: I have a new Lenovo Yoga 530 with Windows 10. My keyboard doesn't have a numpad on the right hand side. Alt codes for special characters are not working in document apps or any other text input area in a web browser etc. I have done the following but it hasn't worked: 1....
  10. ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List: How to: ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List How to Type Special Characters with ALT Keyboard Sequences [img] Information Many special characters are available that may not appear on your keyboard. This tutorial will show you how to type special characters using...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ALT code not working on win 10

2. outlook keystrokes alt Q is not working

3. Keystrokes are not appearing

4. outlook key strokes for foreign characters windows 10,
  5. alt not working for keystrokes,
  6. alt keystrokes not working