Windows 10: ALT Key is Virtually Held Down

Discus and support ALT Key is Virtually Held Down in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So about a week ago, I noticed that my keyboard started acting strange. For the record, I'm using a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard, but that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by o T Slice o, Sep 14, 2019.

1. ALT Key is Virtually Held Down

So about a week ago, I noticed that my keyboard started acting strange. For the record, I'm using a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard, but that doesn't matter because this happens on all keyboards that i've tried. The problem is, whenever I press the Windows key and the Alt key, my Alt key becomes 'virtually' stuck. This means i can't input any text, the computer essentially thinks i'm holding down the Alt key.

• I know it's not a sticky key because I tried this on different keyboards.
    • I know it's the Alt key because I looked up the Alt key shortcuts for Microsoft Edge and they all match (For example, pressing the D key highlights the address bar), and double clicking on Desktop shortcuts will open their properties.
    • It's not Sticky Keys or any of those settings on Windows because, you know, that's the first thing i checked...
    • Uninstalling and reinstalling the Keyboard Drivers didn't help.
    • Virus scans showed everything was fine.
    • I've checked everywhere online for solutions and there doesn't seem to be anyone with a solution (or even my exact problem).

The weirdest part is the solution: I have to open the on-screen keyboard, click on the Windows key twice, then logout with Win + L and log back in and everything is back to normal (for now). Another solution that worked for a little while was uninstalling Razer SDK Core Components, but then even without Razer software, this problem would occur. This wouldn't just occur when i pressed Win + Alt however, it would still happen after a random amount of time and i would have to do that on-screen keyboard method to fix it. It would even happen while starting up my computer, preventing me from inputting my password, and it even occurred when i was trying to reinstall windows.

I just factory reset my whole computer and lo and behold, this problem is still here. I'm about to lose my mind at this point. What on Earth could POSSIBLY be causing this to happen. If it's a problem with my motherboard or something, how can I even check/fix that. If formatting my HDD and SSD and reinstalling Windows didn't work, then what is the problem.

TLALT Key is Virtually Held Down :DR - Pressing Windows Key and Alt simultaneously causes my Alt key to be held down virtually.

:)

o T Slice o, Sep 14, 2019

2. ALT Key is Virtually Held Down

So about a week ago, I noticed that my keyboard started acting strange. For the record, I'm using a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard, but that doesn't matter because this happens on all keyboards that i've tried. The problem is, whenever I press the Windows
    key and the Alt key, my Alt key becomes 'virtually' stuck. This means i can't input any text, the computer essentially thinks i'm holding down the Alt key.

• I know it's not a sticky key because I tried this on different keyboards.
    • I know it's the Alt key because I looked up the Alt key shortcuts for Microsoft Edge and they all match (For example, pressing the D key highlights the address bar), and double clicking on Desktop shortcuts will open their properties.
    • It's not Sticky Keys or any of those settings on Windows because, you know, that's the first thing i checked...
    • Uninstalling and reinstalling the Keyboard Drivers didn't help.
    • Virus scans showed everything was fine.
    • I've checked everywhere online for solutions and there doesn't seem to be anyone with a solution (or even my exact problem).
    The weirdest part is the solution: I have to open the on-screen keyboard, click on the Windows key twice, then logout with Win + L and log back in and everything is back to normal (for now). Another solution that worked for a little while was uninstalling
    Razer SDK Core Components, but then even without Razer software, this problem would occur. This wouldn't just occur when i pressed Win + Alt however, it would still happen after a random amount of time and i would have to do that on-screen keyboard method
    to fix it. It would even happen while starting up my computer, preventing me from inputting my password, and it even occurred when i was trying to reinstall windows.

I just factory reset my whole computer and lo and behold, this problem is still here. I'm about to lose my mind at this point. What on Earth could POSSIBLY be causing this to happen. If it's a problem with my motherboard or something, how can I even check/fix
    that. If formatting my HDD and SSD and reinstalling Windows didn't work, then what is the problem.

TLALT Key is Virtually Held Down :DR - Pressing Windows Key and Alt simultaneously causes my Alt key to be held down virtually.

o T Slice o, Sep 25, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Sep 25, 2019
  4. ALT Key is Virtually Held Down

Control key held down

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I’ll certainly help you with this.

Before we proceed, please answer the following questions to help you better.

• Does this issue occur only while using the Microsoft Office Suite?
    • What is the exact error message that you get?

Check if the Sticky Keys and Toggle keys are turned on. If yes, I suggest you to turn it off. To do so, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + I and click on Ease of Access.
    • Click on Keyboard tab.
    • Turn off Sticky Keys and Toggle keys.
    • Check if the issue persist.

Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

ALT Key is Virtually Held Down

1. ALT Key is Virtually Held Down - Similar Threads - ALT Key Virtually

2. Computer thinks that the last key pressed is being held down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer thinks that the last key pressed is being held down: Hi there, I'm having an issue where every now and then when I press a key, if it is not interrupted with another key press the last key will continue on a though pressed. For instance, ending this sentence with a period and having this occur would look like...
  3. ALT key ASCII code

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ALT key ASCII code: Hi everyone, I know that if I press any key on the keyboard it send an ASCII code to the computer, but there is keys that doesn't have code, like ALT key, so What happened if we press ALT key? I am working in a project that use an ASCII code and need to know what ALT key do...
  4. Alt keys are not working on my computer

Alt keys are not working on my computer: Alt keys appear to be entirely disabled on my PC. The PC in question is a Dell XPS 13, running Windows 10, version 1803. Can this be rectified? Grateful for any feedback....
  5. Alt-key stuck

Alt-key stuck: Hey all, I'm having a problem where my alt-key seems to be active all of the time. The alt key is pressed down whether or not I have a keyboard physically connected. Meaning when I use the On Screen Keyboard it displays it as pressed down. I checked and do not have...
  6. Arrow keys in a state of being constantly held down

Arrow keys in a state of being constantly held down: I'm making a game with Unity and using the left and right arrow keys to move my character. When I press and release the buttons however, they act as if they were remaining pressed down. I've checked for driver and software updates and there currently are none. So how can I...
  7. COmPUTER thinks my "shift" Key IS HelD DOWN AT random.

in Windows 10 Customization
    COmPUTER thinks my "shift" Key IS HelD DOWN AT random.: SO THE MOST RECeNT UPDATE HAS MADe A PROBLem where mY shIft kEY I cannot TELL wHich ONe LEFT OR Right BUT IT is causIng me TO tyPe TexT lIKe tHIs. i am not EVen toUChING THe shift KEY WHiLe WRIting this. IT SEEMS TO OCcUR randomlY makinG it HARd to Type passWArds Having me...
  8. Strange issue With "Held" keys on Keyboard...

Strange issue With "Held" keys on Keyboard...: So this day just couldn't be better, I don't even know what's going on anymore, and apparently neither does my Google search world. The best way to describe what's somehow going on is this "Gggggggggggggg," key spam effect that happens when I simply press a key once. It...
  9. Virtual key stuck down even if keyboard is unplugged

in Windows 10 Support
    Virtual key stuck down even if keyboard is unplugged: Hi, I am periodically experiencing an issue where the o button starts typing itself continuously until I either restart or lock the PC. It's not a keyboard issue, since it happens whether the keyboard is plugged in or not, even with a different keyboard. Is there a way...
  10. Left click not working when a key is held down on the keyboard

in Windows 10 Support
    Left click not working when a key is held down on the keyboard: I am having an issue where the left click on my mouse does not work while I hold down a key on my keyboard. I have looked through all the settings and cannot figure out a solution. 31889