Windows 10: Alt-key shortcut for em-dash not working.

Discus and support Alt-key shortcut for em-dash not working. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey! I recently moved back to my old PC, and for some reason the alt-key shortcuts I've used on other machines and on this machine in the past doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AlarmingRisk, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Alt-key shortcut for em-dash not working.

Hey! I recently moved back to my old PC, and for some reason the alt-key shortcuts I've used on other machines and on this machine in the past doesn't work. I've tried both the alt-shift-endash and alt-0151 shortcuts, but they don't work. What could be wrong? Other alt-key shortcuts for complex symbols don't work, too.

submitted by /u/AlarmingRisk
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AlarmingRisk, Sep 16, 2020
  2. sygnus21 Win User

Alt Keys Not Working Properly

What happened between then and "now"? Did you recently update / upgrade Windows?

sygnus21, Sep 16, 2020
  3. Stecyk Win User

• Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 OS Build18363.657
    • Edge Version 80.0.361.50 (Official build) (64-bit)

I often use ALT + 0151 to create an em dash (long dash). Now, when I using my browser, I get this symbol instead: ☺.

It doesn't matter whether I use Edge, Firefox, and Chrome, all have the same result. If I use other apps, the results seem to be mixed. For example, UltraEdit, Outlook, and Word all work as expected. I get an em dash. Yet when I use Excel, I get the happy face symbol again.

I have a hunch that something happened in one of the recent Windows or Office updates. I am not sure, however.

Is there anyway I can begin to try to solve this issue?

Stecyk, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Jacee Win User

Alt-key shortcut for em-dash not working.

Well you say the ALT key "Fails in all browsers (Edge, Firefox, and Chrome), Excel, and DreamWeaver." Is it just the em dash or all ASCII keystrokes using ALT in those apps/browsers?

Jacee, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Alt-key shortcut for em-dash not working.

1. Alt-key shortcut for em-dash not working. - Similar Threads - Alt key shortcut

2. Alt key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt key not working: So, it all started 6/25/2022, my alt key suddenly started to work like 1/10 times, I've contacted the Microsoft Support and they helped me by solving the problem with performing a clean windows installation. 8 days ago the problem appeared once again, I performed a "System...
  3. Alt key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt key not working: So, it all started 6/25/2022, my alt key suddenly started to work like 1/10 times, I've contacted the Microsoft Support and they helped me by solving the problem with performing a clean windows installation. 8 days ago the problem appeared once again, I performed a "System...
  4. Typesetting: en and em dash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Typesetting: en and em dash: **I'm using the Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard, in case that useful information.**I've had a setting change on my keyboard and I can't for the life of me figure it out. Help! I used to be able to type an en dash – [alt + 0150] by pressing [ctrl + NUM - ]. Today when I logged...
  5. Typesetting: en and em dash

Typesetting: en and em dash: **I'm using the Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard, in case that useful information.**I've had a setting change on my keyboard and I can't for the life of me figure it out. Help! I used to be able to type an en dash – [alt + 0150] by pressing [ctrl + NUM - ]. Today when I logged...
  6. Typesetting: en and em dash

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows and Alt-key shortcut functions not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows and Alt-key shortcut functions not working: Hey guys, I'm stumped over this problem for a while.So for the past 2 days, my left alt keys and my windows keys on my keyboard shortcut are not working. I have tried many fixes such changing lockup frame in regedit to 0 and restarting windows explorer and many many computer...
  8. Windows and Alt-key shortcut functions not working

Windows and Alt-key shortcut functions not working: Hey guys, I'm stumped over this problem for a while.So for the past 2 days, my left alt keys and my windows keys on my keyboard shortcut are not working. I have tried many fixes such changing lockup frame in regedit to 0 and restarting windows explorer and many many computer...
  9. ALT shortcuts not working Properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    ALT shortcuts not working Properly: Last time i shut down my laptop which is dell 7567 everything was fine when i boot my system and when I used alt + Left key in firefox window or in file explorer it should go back one page but instead it opens option tab. When i use my left alt key with left arrow nothing...
  10. Alt tab shortcut not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Alt tab shortcut not working: just recently i tried holding down alt and tab which i had done minutes ago and it just instantly switched to the other window instead of popping up a overlay which shows all the windows. How do i fix this? submitted by /u/Arlojmikk [link] [comments]...