Windows 10: Alt Keys Not Working Properly

Discus and support Alt Keys Not Working Properly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 OS Build18363.657 Edge Version 80.0.361.50 (Official build) (64-bit) I often use ALT + 0151 to create an em dash (long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Stecyk, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Stecyk Win User

Alt Keys Not Working Properly

• Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 OS Build18363.657
    • Edge Version 80.0.361.50 (Official build) (64-bit)

I often use ALT + 0151 to create an em dash (long dash). Now, when I using my browser, I get this symbol instead: ☺.

It doesn't matter whether I use Edge, Firefox, and Chrome, all have the same result. If I use other apps, the results seem to be mixed. For example, UltraEdit, Outlook, and Word all work as expected. I get an em dash. Yet when I use Excel, I get the happy face symbol again.

I have a hunch that something happened in one of the recent Windows or Office updates. I am not sure, however.

Is there anyway I can begin to try to solve this issue?

:)

Stecyk, Feb 13, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Feb 13, 2020
  3. ALT keys not working after developers update

Hello Paul,

To help us identify the cause of this problem, we would like to know the following information:

• Which type of Windows device are you currently using? (PC, tablet or laptop)
    • If your device has 2 Alt button, does it happen on both Alt keys on the keyboard?
    • Since you're trying to input a special character using Alt key, have you checked if the Num Lock key is activated?
    In the meantime, we recommend that you check if Sticky Keys is turned on in the Accessibility settings. Sticky Keys lets you press one key at a time for keyboard shortcuts. To check, refer to the steps below:

• Click on Start.
    • Click on the gear icon to open the Settings.
    • Click on Ease of Access.
    • On the left panel, click on Keyboard.
    • Turn off Sticky Keys.

Regile Reb, Feb 13, 2020
  4. Alt Keys Not Working Properly

Alt + 21 Numpad Key Not Working.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulties you are facing with Alt key shortcuts and
    in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• Are you aware of any changes in the PC prior to this issue?
    • How many keyboard layouts are installed on the PC?
    • Which application you are facing this issue?
    • Did you check if the Alt key is working in on-screen keyboard?

However, we would suggest you to perform these methods and check if the issue persists.

Method 1: Troubleshoot keyboard.

1. Press Windows + I key from the keyboard to launch
      Windows Settings.
    2. Select Updates & Security. Click on
      Troubleshoot from the left pane.
    3. Scroll the list and select Keyboard.
    4. Click on Run the Troubleshooter.
    5. Follow the on screen steps.

Method 2:
    Update the Keyboard driver.

Please update the Keyboard driver from the device manager, refer this article to update or reinstall the driver:

Update drivers in Windows 10

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

Alt Keys Not Working Properly

1. Alt Keys Not Working Properly - Similar Threads - Alt Keys Working

2. Alt tab not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt tab not working properly: When i press only alt and tab at the same time it brings up the task view which shows all the desktops instead of only the windows i have open. My windows button has also stopped working and only when i press windows button+alt+tab does it show the normal alt tab view. How do...
  3. Alt tab not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt tab not working properly: When i press only alt and tab at the same time it brings up the task view which shows all the desktops instead of only the windows i have open. My windows button has also stopped working and only when i press windows button+alt+tab does it show the normal alt tab view. How do...
  4. Alt tab not working properly

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. ALT GR not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ALT GR not working properly: Hi everyone,I have been using a rapoo keyboard Bluetooth connection for 1.5 years. In order to write square brackets or @ I have to use alt gr + 2 or alt gr and some other combination for special characters. For 3 days, I can no longer do that as these combinations now...
  6. ALT GR not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ALT GR not working properly: Hi everyone,I have been using a rapoo keyboard Bluetooth connection for 1.5 years. In order to write square brackets or @ I have to use alt gr + 2 or alt gr and some other combination for special characters. For 3 days, I can no longer do that as these combinations now...
  7. ALT GR not working properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. ALT shortcuts not working Properly

ALT shortcuts not working Properly: Last time i shut down my laptop which is dell 7567 everything was fine when i boot my system and when I used alt + Left key in firefox window or in file explorer it should go back one page but instead it opens option tab. When i use my left alt key with left arrow nothing...
  9. Alt Codes Not Working Properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Alt Codes Not Working Properly: Hello, Starting about 2 weeks ago, my alt codes have stopped working. I'm using Windows 10, and my laptop has a separate Numpad on the keyboard. For a lot of alt codes, it will now only show a "?" after I inputted it in. For example, if I typed "alt" "0" "2" "2" "8", it will...
  10. Alt Codes not working properly

Alt Codes not working properly: Some alt codes seem to have inexplicably (maybe because of a windows update?) stopped working for me on all editors, browsers (including file explorer). I can still view the ones I had used previously and I can copy-paste them. It's not all codes just the first alt (1-32...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. both alt keys not working hp windows 10 laptop