Windows 10: Alt-Tab app-chooser does not go away when I release the Alt key.. (Alt-Tab freezes)

Discus and support Alt-Tab app-chooser does not go away when I release the Alt key.. (Alt-Tab freezes) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Mostly I see this talked about in gaming, but I don't play games In my windows 10, if I press ALT+TAB I see the switcher dialog pane appear. Holding... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by caius jard, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Alt-Tab app-chooser does not go away when I release the Alt key.. (Alt-Tab freezes)

Mostly I see this talked about in gaming, but I don't play games

In my windows 10, if I press ALT+TAB I see the switcher dialog pane appear. Holding ALT and tabbing moves the selection rectangle to the next window, and ALT+SHIFT+TAB moves it back - so far so good but:

* if I release the ALT key, the switcher dialog remains displayed onscreen. It does not respond to mouse or keyboard input.

* while the alt-tab switcher dialog is open, everything behind it on that monitor is not accessible

* The app that had the highlight rectangle around it does NOT gain the keyboard focus (i have two monitors; if i select an app on the other monitor i.e. not the one the alt-tab switcher is showing on, the app i selected in the switcher does not acquire focus)

* apps stay running normally - I can click them in the windows taskbar, they acquire the focus. I can use Windows-CursorLeft and Windows-CursorRight keys to move the window around the screen and onto the other monitor (getting them out from under the alt-tab switcher) where they can be interacted with normally

* if I alt-tab again, the selection rectangle carries on moving from where it was before, it does not go back to the first app

* if I press alt+esc, the switcher dialog disappears and windows acts normally This is my current workaround to get rid of the alt-tab switcher dialog, though it of course does not changed the focused app Alt-Tab app-chooser does not go away when I release the Alt key.. (Alt-Tab freezes) :)

* if I use win-left and win-right to stick an app to the left or right half of a monitor, I note that windows shows a selection of other apps in the other half of the monitor, as a quick way to choose "which app do you want in this half?" - this panel of tiles also has all the same symptoms as the alt-tab switcher (cannot be clicked on or interacted with). To get it to go away I have to alt-tab to make the broken switcher appear(which seems to cause the "which app on this half of the monitor" chooser to disappear) and then alt-esc to make the broken switcher dialog disappear

specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name CJ
    System Manufacturer HP
    System Model HP ZBook 15 G4
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU 1NC89PA#ABG
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820HQ CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date HP P70 Ver. 01.03, 26/09/2017
    SMBIOS Version 3.0
    Embedded Controller Version 70.99
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Mobile
    Secure Boot State On
    PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.17134.1"
    User Name CJ\cj
    Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
    Available Physical Memory 17.2 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 36.6 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 18.3 GB
    Page File Space 4.75 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Kernel DMA Protection Off
    Virtualization-based security Not enabled
    Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

:)

caius jard, Jul 5, 2018
    1 person likes this.
  2. mrhuggles Win User

alt + tab not working

i always just use the windows key to get back to the desktop [pops up the start dealy, doesn't need anything to alt+tab to]

mrhuggles, Jul 5, 2018
  3. alt + tab not working

Just found a really cool way to make alt+tab INSTANT!!!

In the launch options write the following: -windowed -noborder

Alt-Tab app-chooser does not go away when I release the Alt key.. (Alt-Tab freezes) Capture122.jpg

This play exactly the same as fullscreen but now you dont have to wait 30 f*@!ing seconds to alt+tab back in!

Also you don't get the little purple/black checkered effect (only in Source games) from alt+tabbing in fullscreen.

oli_ramsay, Jul 5, 2018
  4. Alt-Tab app-chooser does not go away when I release the Alt key.. (Alt-Tab freezes)

alt + tab not working

*Confused Alt-Tab app-chooser does not go away when I release the Alt key.. (Alt-Tab freezes) :confused: I can alt tab back even if i don't have another program to switch too.

spearman914, Jul 5, 2018
  5. Mario New Member
    I'm having this exact same problem, found out that the problem is only there when I'm switching away from Chrome (which is a problem as all my email / calendar accounts are accesed via Chrome, so I'm constantly switching back and forth between Chrome and something else). I've already tried fixing it in a number of ways (alt being recognized as alt-gr, trying different keyboards, using on screen keyboard, etc.) Nothing works. I can also confirm this problem only started a few days ago at most.

Mario, Jul 5, 2018
Thema:

Alt-Tab app-chooser does not go away when I release the Alt key.. (Alt-Tab freezes)

1. Alt-Tab app-chooser does not go away when I release the Alt key.. (Alt-Tab freezes) - Similar Threads - Alt Tab app

2. Alt+Tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt+Tab: Hai.While using the Alt+Tab feature, I would like to hide certain windows from appearing in it. Because, I use two screens for multi tasking and have certain windows idly open. This makes the Alt+tab too clumsy and difficult to choose the app that I need. Any suggestions...
  3. Alt+Tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt+Tab: Hai.While using the Alt+Tab feature, I would like to hide certain windows from appearing in it. Because, I use two screens for multi tasking and have certain windows idly open. This makes the Alt+tab too clumsy and difficult to choose the app that I need. Any suggestions...
  4. Alt+Tab. ALT+F4 and Alt+WindowsKey

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt+Tab. ALT+F4 and Alt+WindowsKey: for some reason my Alt+F4, Alt+WindowsKey and Alt+Tab have suddenly stopped working and i have no idea how to fix this... Help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/alttab-altf4-and-altwindowskey/6c322d80-b5a7-4ec4-90ad-2f68a3132a02
  5. Task manager not going away when I alt tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager not going away when I alt tab: HeySo whenever I alt-tab out of task manager the other app opens Because I see its highlited in the taskbar and task manager kind of greys out But task manager is still there and it doesnt disappear. This only happens in task manager other apps work fine when I alt tab....
  6. Task manager not going away when I alt tab

Task manager not going away when I alt tab: HeySo whenever I alt-tab out of task manager the other app opens Because I see its highlited in the taskbar and task manager kind of greys out But task manager is still there and it doesnt disappear. This only happens in task manager other apps work fine when I alt tab....
  7. Alt+Tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt+Tab: This should have been so simple. How do I switch between the last two open windows/apps I've viewed/used with the new advanced Windows 11?My Windows 10 easily switched between the last two windows with Alt+Tab. Alt+Tab in Windows 11 shows all the windows I have opened and...
  8. Alt+Tab

Alt+Tab: This should have been so simple. How do I switch between the last two open windows/apps I've viewed/used with the new advanced Windows 11?My Windows 10 easily switched between the last two windows with Alt+Tab. Alt+Tab in Windows 11 shows all the windows I have opened and...
  9. Alt tab thingy won't go away

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Alt tab thingy won't go away: [ATTACH] Sometimes the touch pad on my wacom tablet turns on by itself while I'm drawing and brings up this alt tab looking window that just won't go away unless I restart my computer. Is there away to restart or shut down this tab in task manager?...
  10. ALT + TAB Not switching on release

in Windows 10 Support
    ALT + TAB Not switching on release: Hi, I've been having a bit of trouble with Windows the last few days, which has to to lead me to reinstall it over my current windows. Just mentioning it in case it might be relevant. But my problem is that I'm used to having to press ALT+TAB and it would display the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. alt tab menu not going away