Windows 10: Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently on ALL my machines. Window does not switch until I mouse...

Discus and support Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently on ALL my machines. Window does not switch until I mouse... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi folks. So I have heavily used Alt+Tab to switch between apps for as long as I've been using Windows. In the past year or so something happened... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by FuzzyReets, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently on ALL my machines. Window does not switch until I mouse...

Hi folks. So I have heavily used Alt+Tab to switch between apps for as long as I've been using Windows. In the past year or so something happened with Windows 10 where when I click Alt+Tab to switch I get the little preview windows of all the open apps but it doesn't switch to the next app until I hit the Enter key or mouse click on the app's window preview unless I purposely HOLD Alt+Tab for a full second then let go. When I do that it switches but I've never had to do that. This happens on ALL of my Windows machines that I use which is about 5 different machines so it is not a hardware issue. I'm hoping there is something in the registry I can change to change the timeout that is required for the Window change to occur. It's incredibly frustrating and I need a solution. Help appreciated. Thanks! Picture below of the preview windows where it gets "stuck"

Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently on ALL my machines.  Window does not switch until I mouse... d5d8cd2f-5f32-4327-ae59-db47dff61b0d?upload=true.png

:)

FuzzyReets, Jul 15, 2020

2. ALT+TAB window previews are getting stuck

Hello,

I am on windows 10 and I have been for a while, but this has only just recently occurred in the last day.

Whenever I press ALT+TAB to switch windows, normally when I release the keys it will switch to the window highlighted, however recently when I release ALT+TAB it does not automatically switch it just gets stuck on the preview screen. I have to manually selected the tab with the arrow keys or my mouse to recover from it.

This is only intermittently though.

Things I have tried:
    Restarting machine
    Running virus scan (I am using Sophos Home)
    Reinstalling keyboard driver

But the above things have not worked.

Please could someone help me resolve this please?

Image is below.

Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently on ALL my machines.  Window does not switch until I mouse... [​IMG]

danjgoodwin, Jul 15, 2020
  3. Restore Classic ALT+TAB A-B B-A switching with mouse, not random

The very three critical combinations to understand before even participating in this thread:

1. Windows 10 with classic ALT+Tab registry key restoration (all over the web, look it up).
    2. Use any program that customizes the key bindings to the fourth and fifth mouse buttons (the thumb buttons); I have been using X-Mouse Button Control.
    3. Set the forward-thumb button to ALT+Tab (if using X-Mouse Button Control set to "Simulated Keys (pressed)" and paste {ALT}{TAB}.

This is not about using the physical keyboard to ALT+Tab, this thread is about assigning the Classic Alt+Tab function to a mouse and having it switch between the two active windows only instead of randomly wandering around different unrelated windows.

Here is list of open Windows for both Windows 7 and 10:

Window A [code/work browser]
    Window B [IDE/code editor]
    Window C [notepad]
    Window ♣ [funny cat pictures]
    Window Beta [separate browser for developer chat]
    Window Waldo [browser used to find an answer drowning in responses by people who just don't get it]

Typically when I work I switch between my code editor and my test browser however this is just an example as I use the Classic non-borked Alt+Tab all the time between any two windows and when I'm done with a pair I will manually switch to another pair typically.

To trigger the correct behavior press and hold ALT, press Tab once and then let go of both keys.

Windows 7 Classic Alt+Tab (correct mouse-ALT+Tab behavior):

Window A
    Code:
     Window B [browser / reload / worked? No? Back to code!]
     Window A [code]
     Window A [code]
     Window A [code]

Windows 10 Classic Alt+Tab restored via registry (incorrect mouse-ALT+Tab behavior):

Window A [code]
     Window X [WTH?!]
     Window ♣ [huge vein on forehead appears]
     Window Beta [violence likely]
     Window Waldo [divided by zero]

Even when you get rid of the crappy GUI garbage they dumped on users in Windows 10 the behavior of Alt+Tabbing once (pressing Tab [i]once[/i] and letting go of the Alt key) is now absolute and utter chaos. I'm a GUI designer (UI/UX etc) and the goal is to always achieve maximum results with minimum input.

No:

[list][*]I'm not going to use ALT+Esc
    [*]I'm not going to use Windows+Tab
    [*]I'm not going to add twenty seconds staring at window explosions in place of 20ms action.
    [*]I'm not going to post on Microsoft Answers because the last thing you ever get there is a frigin answer.
    [*]My work won't allow me to dump Windows 10 like the released-two-years-too-early-mess it is and just go back to Windows 7.
    [/list]

Please, fellow beings of competence, hear my plea! I've probably had [i]hours[/i] of my time wasted by [i]just[/i] this Windows 10 "feature" alone.

jabcreations, Jul 15, 2020
  4. Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently on ALL my machines. Window does not switch until I mouse...

Windows 10: ALT+TAB window previews are getting stuck

I am on windows 10 and I have been for a while, but this has only just recently occurred recently.

Whenever I press ALT+TAB to switch windows, normally when I release the keys it will switch to the window highlighted,

however recently when I release ALT+TAB it does not automatically switch it just gets stuck on the preview screen. I have

to manually selected the tab with the arrow keys or my mouse to recover from it.

This is only intermittently, tho'.

I've tried everything. Is this ever going to be fixed???

AuroraGriffin, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently on ALL my machines. Window does not switch until I mouse...

1. Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently on ALL my machines. Window does not switch until I mouse... - Similar Threads - Alt+Tab gets suck

2. Alt Tab not working until I use mouse to select the Tab that I want.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt Tab not working until I use mouse to select the Tab that I want.: This is Windows 11, Version: 21H2I have a problem with the Alt-Tab key. Since I started using windows 11, the Alt-Tab key has NOT worked correctly like in windows 10. When I use the Alt-Tab key in this windows 11, after I release the Alt key/AllMyFingerFromKeyboard, it does...
  3. Alt Tab not working until I use mouse to select the Tab that I want.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt Tab not working until I use mouse to select the Tab that I want.: This is Windows 11, Version: 21H2I have a problem with the Alt-Tab key. Since I started using windows 11, the Alt-Tab key has NOT worked correctly like in windows 10. When I use the Alt-Tab key in this windows 11, after I release the Alt key/AllMyFingerFromKeyboard, it does...
  4. Sometimes when i alt+tab between windows it gets stuck on the alt+tab screen and my mouse...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sometimes when i alt+tab between windows it gets stuck on the alt+tab screen and my mouse...: Sometimes when i am doing something or playing games, i often have to alt+tab to check on other information, however, sometimes when i do that, it gets stuck on the alt+tab screen and my mouse freezes.Basically like this, but when you release alt+tab it wont go to the window...
  5. Alt-Tab Windows switch lag

Alt-Tab Windows switch lag: Alt-Tab Windows switch lagWhen I open any app and time it takes 2-3 sec to load I switch windows using alt-tab and it lags like hell. Here lag means whenever I use alt-tab when I tap the tab again and again to reach the desired window it just takes longer and lags to reach...
  6. Alt + Tab does not always switch to the most recent window

Alt + Tab does not always switch to the most recent window: Ever since a recent Windows 10 update can't tell which there were at least 3 consecutive ones, my Alt + Tab has been acting weird. When I try to switch with Alt+Tab, it would sometimes take me to another random window. It's pretty annoying and inconvenient when I have a...
  7. Alt-tab switching intermittently stops working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Alt-tab switching intermittently stops working: Hi All, I have what looks like a weird driver issue with my keyboard. Alt-tab switching intermittently stops working in Windows 10. Sometimes this happens after the computer wakes up from sleep, but sometimes simply after some time has passed. The keyboard keeps working...
  8. Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently when trying to switch Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently when trying to switch Apps: Hi folks. So I have heavily used Alt+Tab to switch between apps for as long as I've been using Windows. In the past year or so something happened with Windows 10 where when I click Alt+Tab to switch I get the little preview windows of all the open apps but it doesn't switch...
  9. Alt + Tab and other shortcuts intermittently not working

Alt + Tab and other shortcuts intermittently not working: I have an intermittent problem with my work surface pro laptop. Every few days shortcut keys using the ‘Alt’ or ‘Windows key’ will stop. This has always resolved spontaneously, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after several reboots and a lot of time wasted!...
  10. ALT + TAB Not switching on release

in Windows 10 Support
    ALT + TAB Not switching on release: Hi, I've been having a bit of trouble with Windows the last few days, which has to to lead me to reinstall it over my current windows. Just mentioning it in case it might be relevant. But my problem is that I'm used to having to press ALT+TAB and it would display the...