Windows 10: Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently when trying to switch Apps

Discus and support Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently when trying to switch Apps in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi folks. So I have heavily used Alt+Tab to switch between apps for as long as I've been using Windows. In the past year or so something happened with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by argo33, Jul 15, 2020.

1. argo33 Win User

Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently when trying to switch Apps

Hi folks. So I have heavily used Alt+Tab to switch between apps for as long as I've been using Windows. In the past year or so something happened with Windows 10 where when I click Alt+Tab to switch I get the little preview windows of all the open apps but it doesn't switch to the next app until I hit the Enter key or mouse click on the app's window preview unless I purposely HOLD Alt+Tab for a full second then let go. When I do that it switches but I've never had to do that. This happens on ALL of my Windows machines that I use which is about 5 different machines so it is not a hardware issue. I'm hoping there is something in the registry I can change to change the timeout that is required for the Window change to occur. It's incredibly frustrating and I need a solution. Help appreciated. Thanks! (Picture below of the preview windows where it gets "stuck")

Windows 10 Version is 1909 OS Build 18363.900 but like i said, it happens on every machine I have which is many and they are running different versions of Windows 10.

Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently when trying to switch Apps [​IMG]

:)

argo33, Jul 15, 2020
  2. xCustom17 Win User

ALT + TAB Not switching on release

Hi,

I've been having a bit of trouble with Windows the last few days, which has to to lead me to reinstall it over my current windows. Just mentioning it in case it might be relevant.

But my problem is that I'm used to having to press ALT+TAB and it would display the open programs, and when I release the combo, it would switch me to the program. But now I've noticed that when I press ALT+TAB, and release the combo, the little UI thingy still stays open and I either need to click the choice or press enter or something. And this is really annoying since I switch programs on a regular basis and this extra step feels unnecessary.

xCustom17, Jul 15, 2020
  3. Simon2601 Win User
    Alt+Tab Application Switching Issues

I'm wondering if anyone can help with an issue I've started seeing in the last day or so. There have been no changes to my laptop that I'm aware of that might explain the issue.

When using alt+tab to switch between open applications, I'm noticing that the screen showing the available windows will occasionally stay in place (as though I've still got the alt key held down), even after I release the alt key. To then switch applications,
    I have to hit enter.

This is happening intermittently, and I've been able to identify that it's happening only when I'm using a browser that isn't Microsoft Edge. For example, if I have Firefox and Microsoft OneNote open and switch between the two, the app selector will stay
    on the screen on upwards of 50% of my attempts. The same is true when switching between Google Chrome and OneNote (I've also seen the same thing happening when switching between one of these 2 browsers and the file explorer). However, when switching between
    Microsoft Edge and OneNote, there are no issues.

I've searched through all forums on this subject but can't find a solution. Have also tried a number of steps to try and resolve, including updating drivers, checking for Windows updates, running troubleshooter, and re-installing the browsers, but nothing
    has worked.

Any help would be appreciated as it's a feature I rely on quite heavily. For reference I'm running Windows 10 Home on a Dell XPS 13 9350.

Simon2601, Jul 15, 2020
  4. Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently when trying to switch Apps

alt + tab not working

*Confused Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently when trying to switch Apps :confused: I can alt tab back even if i don't have another program to switch too.

spearman914, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently when trying to switch Apps

1. Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently when trying to switch Apps - Similar Threads - Alt+Tab gets suck

2. The tabs on Egde aren't switching when I press Alt +Tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The tabs on Egde aren't switching when I press Alt +Tab: Hello,I'm experiencing an issue with Alt+Tab behavior on Microsoft Edge tabs after changing the settings in Alt+Tab Window under Settings > System > Multitasking > All Tabs in Windows 11. Specifically, the tabs aren't switching when I press Alt+Tab. Has anyone else...
  3. Unknown task when switching with Alt+Tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown task when switching with Alt+Tab: I made a modifications to my Windows 10 to get the old behaviour of Alt+Tab image below, i.e., to show the application icons of the tasks being switched rather than previews of their windows. Recently, however, when I Alt+Tab, I see an unnamed task on the far left image...
  4. Unknown task when switching with Alt+Tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown task when switching with Alt+Tab: I made a modifications to my Windows 10 to get the old behaviour of Alt+Tab image below, i.e., to show the application icons of the tasks being switched rather than previews of their windows. Recently, however, when I Alt+Tab, I see an unnamed task on the far left image...
  5. Unknown task when switching with Alt+Tab

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Double alt+tab to switch to app correctly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Double alt+tab to switch to app correctly.: Hello.Not so long ago I ran into a problem in windows 10. When switching between programs using alt + tab, the window to which I switch does not become active. I have to either do a second alt + tab, or click on this window so that it works and I can work in it.I did not...
  7. Alt+Tab not switching apps anymore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Alt+Tab not switching apps anymore: Alt+Tab is not working anymore to switch between open programs. Instead it just toggles between items in the open program. How can i fix this? I'm still on version 1909 but worked fine couple of days ago. Not sure what broke it. Maybe a recent windows update? Anybody else...
  8. Alt-tab switching intermittently stops working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Alt-tab switching intermittently stops working: Hi All, I have what looks like a weird driver issue with my keyboard. Alt-tab switching intermittently stops working in Windows 10. Sometimes this happens after the computer wakes up from sleep, but sometimes simply after some time has passed. The keyboard keeps working...
  9. Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently on ALL my machines. Window does not switch until I mouse...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alt+Tab gets suck intermittently on ALL my machines. Window does not switch until I mouse...: Hi folks. So I have heavily used Alt+Tab to switch between apps for as long as I've been using Windows. In the past year or so something happened with Windows 10 where when I click Alt+Tab to switch I get the little preview windows of all the open apps but it doesn't switch...
  10. ALT + TAB Not switching on release

in Windows 10 Support
    ALT + TAB Not switching on release: Hi, I've been having a bit of trouble with Windows the last few days, which has to to lead me to reinstall it over my current windows. Just mentioning it in case it might be relevant. But my problem is that I'm used to having to press ALT+TAB and it would display the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell xps alt tab lagg between tabs