Windows 10: Alt/Tab has changed

Discus and support Alt/Tab has changed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently upgraded from W7 to W10. On W7 alt/tab would expand each open application window such that they were full size when alt/tab'd or mouse'd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eddyq, Dec 5, 2015.

1. eddyq Win User

Alt/Tab has changed

I recently upgraded from W7 to W10. On W7 alt/tab would expand each open application window such that they were full size when alt/tab'd or mouse'd over to it. But on W10 they do not show full size unless you bring the app into focus by releasing alt/tab. I suspect MS did that because on W7 they had a bug whereby the list of open icons would fall behind current windows. But that was fixed with with a 3rd party app (AltTabFixOnce.exe).

Does anyone know how to get back the W7 form of alt/tab?

Eddy

:)

eddyq, Dec 5, 2015
  2. Romel Ram Win User
    Romel Ram, Dec 5, 2015
  3. Simon_29 Win User
    Alt tab out and Alt tab in issue

Hi,

Yes I normally keep my graphics cards up to date. I even used the ones my manufacturer gave me and still the same issue.

The BSOD error message is the following: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE ntoskrnl.exe. Has something to do with the nvidia cards i guess.

I have tried both a clean installment of windows 10 and of the graphics drivers and no luck. Ive tried turning off v-sync to see if that was the issue but again no luck.

Simon_29, Dec 5, 2015
  4. GAS
    Gas Win User

Alt/Tab has changed

Hello, here is a list of all keyboard shortcuts in W10:
    Keyboard shortcuts - Windows Help

I think it will be very useful to you.

5. Ztruker Win User
    I use Alt+Esc for this.

Ztruker, Dec 5, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    I use 'Taskview' invoked from 'Gesture' mouse button.

Alt/Tab has changed [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 5, 2015
  7. eddyq Win User
    Thanks, but on my system alt-esc goes through a few screens but then stops working. I suspect some apps also process alt-esc for themselves.

eddyq, Dec 5, 2015
  8. eddyq Win User

Alt/Tab has changed

What is "'Gesture' mouse button"?

eddyq, Dec 5, 2015
  9. eddyq Win User
    Thanks everyone for your helpful input.

What I'm hoping is that someone knows of an addon for W10 that will display the old W7 (and I think W8) style.

eddyq, Dec 5, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    The only way I can think of to accomplish what you're asking is to raise the program's thumbnail by hovering on the taskbar then hovering on the raised thumbnail itself to show it full size without restoring it.

Edwin, Dec 5, 2015
  11. eddyq Win User
    It's sad when MS thinks they are doing something better but they screw up something that was really nice. Ergo they put all that work into W8 but W7 was better so they had to undo most of W8 and put the W7 stuff into W10. Then they thought Alt/Tab showing all of the apps in mini form would be better than both W7 and W8 ... it is nice but not as good as W7/8.

eddyq, Dec 7, 2015
  12. GAS
    Gas Win User
    Alt/Esc is the right keyboard shortcut for that task, if your system does not work, try to find out the app you are saying using it, and set it's keyboard shortcut in a different way.

13. windunce Win User

Alt/Tab has changed

WinKey-Tab should do what you desire.
    It's like Windows 7, meaning a 'sticky' Alt-Tab but without the carousel effect.
    Not quite as nice as 7, but very workable to see the apps that you have running and
    to switch between any of those running apps by clicking on the one you want.
    Try it you'll like it.

And if you are a total mouse person, of course just click the task view, it will bring up the same screen.

Alt/Tab has changed [​IMG]

windunce, Dec 7, 2015
  14. eddyq Win User
    Alt/Esc is not the right shortcut ... it does not show all of the apps in a way that W7/W8 did. Those showed all apps plus if you move your mouse over one of them it would expand it so you could read it.

eddyq, Dec 7, 2015
  15. eddyq Win User
    WinKey-Tab does not expand the window like W7/W8 did. If you click on one of the apps it brings that app into focus ... it does not simply expand such that I can read it.

eddyq, Dec 7, 2015
Thema:

Alt/Tab has changed

1. Alt/Tab has changed - Similar Threads - Alt Tab has

2. Alt+Tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt+Tab: Hai.While using the Alt+Tab feature, I would like to hide certain windows from appearing in it. Because, I use two screens for multi tasking and have certain windows idly open. This makes the Alt+tab too clumsy and difficult to choose the app that I need. Any suggestions...
  3. Alt+Tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt+Tab: Hai.While using the Alt+Tab feature, I would like to hide certain windows from appearing in it. Because, I use two screens for multi tasking and have certain windows idly open. This makes the Alt+tab too clumsy and difficult to choose the app that I need. Any suggestions...
  4. Alt+Tab. ALT+F4 and Alt+WindowsKey

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt+Tab. ALT+F4 and Alt+WindowsKey: for some reason my Alt+F4, Alt+WindowsKey and Alt+Tab have suddenly stopped working and i have no idea how to fix this... Help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/alttab-altf4-and-altwindowskey/6c322d80-b5a7-4ec4-90ad-2f68a3132a02
  5. Alt+Tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt+Tab: This should have been so simple. How do I switch between the last two open windows/apps I've viewed/used with the new advanced Windows 11?My Windows 10 easily switched between the last two windows with Alt+Tab. Alt+Tab in Windows 11 shows all the windows I have opened and...
  6. Alt+Tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt+Tab: This should have been so simple. How do I switch between the last two open windows/apps I've viewed/used with the new advanced Windows 11?My Windows 10 easily switched between the last two windows with Alt+Tab. Alt+Tab in Windows 11 shows all the windows I have opened and...
  7. [Question] Changing Alt-Tab browser

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Question] Changing Alt-Tab browser: Is it possible with the register or any script to change the browser use for the alt tab instead of microsoft edge ? submitted by /u/GG667 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k3a9d9/question_changing_alttab_browser/
  8. Alt-tab has a bug since 20H2

Alt-tab has a bug since 20H2: Hello, since 20H2 I found a bug. I use alt-tab a lot to change between the last 2 windows repeatedly. For example, I change from an Edge window to a Word document several times. After installing 20H2, I noticed MS thought it was useful to include the Edge tabs in the...
  9. alt+tab

alt+tab: when i alt+tab it use to show previews but then all of a sudden it stopped. i don't exactly remember when it stopped but it doesn't show previews only icons submitted by /u/venusarr [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jpfjbx/alttab/
  10. Alt+Tab

Alt+Tab: How can I remap Alt+Tab to a single key like the Fn Key. I came from Linux Mint with Gnome Desktop and accessing all my open tabs was one key away. How can I replicate this time-saving feature on Windows 10? submitted by /u/luke__7 [link] [comments]...