Windows 10: "Alt-Tab" impacts Gaming performance

Discus and support "Alt-Tab" impacts Gaming performance in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This issue seems to be noticed and cared by very few users on Windows. Users who multitask Alt-Tab when playing games, are vulnerable to this problem.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by StellarDominus, May 1, 2020.

1. "Alt-Tab" impacts Gaming performance

This issue seems to be noticed and cared by very few users on Windows. Users who multitask Alt-Tab when playing games, are vulnerable to this problem. I have been noticing inconsistencies in input latency, bad frame pacing etc., regardless of "Fullscreen optimizations" disabled or enabled. Games run just fine only until Alt-Tabbing out of the game to desktop or other applications. When Alt-Tabbing back into the game, they start to suffer with frame pacing issues, altered input latency and Double buffering Vsync being overridden with Triple buffering, things like that. The game might look like it is running in fullscreen but, looks like it actually is not, but worse. In order for the game to run clean again, pressing Alt-Enter a couple of times or toggling in-game settings back to fullscreen fixes it and sometimes, it doesn't, and restarting is the only way. I personally do care a lot about good frame pacing in games and this problem interferes with the gaming experience on PC.

I used a tool called "PresentMon" to monitor what is going on behind the scenes and the tool shows, the latency being increased after Alt-Tabbing from the game and back into the game. When it is running in normal fullscreen mode by pressing Alt-Enter, the latency stabilizes. You can refer to the picture, I attached.

What could be the reason, Alt-Tab breaks the games and don't turn them back to fullscreen? Is this a normal behavior? Is this the way Windows manages applications? A nice explanation will be appreciated. Thank you.

"Alt-Tab" impacts Gaming performance [​IMG]

:)

StellarDominus, May 1, 2020

2. Weird alt-tab out of fullscreen games.

Hi Simon,

The multitasking capability of a game depends on the total memory of your computer. If you have large amounts of RAM on your computer, it can multitask heavy programs easily like high-end games. To ensure that we can provide the appropriate resolution
    for your concerns with the alt-tab function, we’d like to ask you a few questions:

• What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experienced this issue?
    • When did the issue start?
    • Have you pressed the alt-tab key during you play Rainbow Six Siege? Or it just happen without pressing it?
    • Does the automatic ALT-TAB behavior happens on other games?
    • Do you have any other programs running on your computer while playing?
    • What is the anti-virus program you're using?
    • What is your device or system specifications? To know, follow these steps:
      1. Press Windows + S and type
        About your PC
      2. Send us the information listed under Device specifications.

Moving forward, if you're multitasking while playing, we recommend that you play this game only without doing other tasks. Pressing ALT-TAB or performing a multitasking interferes with the performance of your video card, especially if you're running a heavy
    game like Rainbow Six Siege. It will generate screen viewing issues like intermittently switching your game screen between your desktop environment.

For now, restart your game and do not press ALT+TAB while playing. This will allow your video card to dedicate its graphics performance on the game only instead of your desktop environment.

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Johann Eva, May 1, 2020
  3. alt tabbing increases system performance?

Alt+tab often forces the game to reinitialize the DirectX renderer. It's likely an opportunity to reattempt to start SLI/Crossfire if it didn't start with the game.

Mind you, alt+tab is as likely to cause the game to crash as it is to improve performance. Some games support it, some don't, and some are somewhere in between.

FordGT90Concept, May 1, 2020
  4. "Alt-Tab" impacts Gaming performance

alt tabbing increases system performance?

I've never heard that. Back when I played games a lot I occasionally alt+tab out of a game but never saw any "increase" in performance.

vawrvawerawe, May 1, 2020
Thema:

"Alt-Tab" impacts Gaming performance

1. "Alt-Tab" impacts Gaming performance - Similar Threads - Alt Tab impacts

2. game alt + tab lag

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    game alt + tab lag: hello,I have this reoccurring issue with most, if not all, games on my pc. When I have a full screen game open and try to alt + tab into\out of the game the screen goes dark for a few seconds 2-3 usually and then goes through with the action. Any sounds active during that...
  3. game alt + tab lag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    game alt + tab lag: hello,I have this reoccurring issue with most, if not all, games on my pc. When I have a full screen game open and try to alt + tab into\out of the game the screen goes dark for a few seconds 2-3 usually and then goes through with the action. Any sounds active during that...
  4. game alt + tab lag

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Alt+Tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt+Tab: This should have been so simple. How do I switch between the last two open windows/apps I've viewed/used with the new advanced Windows 11?My Windows 10 easily switched between the last two windows with Alt+Tab. Alt+Tab in Windows 11 shows all the windows I have opened and...
  6. Slow alt-tabbing while gaming

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow alt-tabbing while gaming: Hi, as the title says: while I'm playing games (for instance Rust or League of Legends), alt-tabbing goes very slowly. It takes about 2-3 seconds, which was never the case before. I have tried turning off focus assist, but it doesn't work anymore (I recall having had this...
  7. BSOD while gaming / alt tabbing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD while gaming / alt tabbing: Hi guys, I'm playing Doom eternal at the moment, i haven't tried other games but i started getting bsod with the error CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. I tried to read it with windbg but it says " the parameter is incorrect" When i alt tab the system is slowing down - freezing and...
  8. Alt tab not minimising some games?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alt tab not minimising some games?: I have a single monitor. I used to be able to alt tab out of a full screen game and it would minimize in the background until I opened it again. As of a couple of days ago about half the games I've tried that used to run full screen fine no longer minimize when I alt tab and...
  9. Alt tab not minimising some games?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alt tab not minimising some games?: I have a single monitor. I used to be able to alt tab out of a full screen game and it would minimize in the background until I opened it again. As of a couple of days ago about half the games I've tried that used to run full screen fine no longer minimize when I alt tab and...
  10. freezing of games upon alt-tabbing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    freezing of games upon alt-tabbing: it started just a few days ago, and i have no idea of what might be causing it. so when i alt-tab out of any kind of application in full-screen mode (ONLY in full-screen, using window mode is only way i managed to get rid of it) and then alt-tab back to it it works fine for a...