Windows 10: Alterative to windows media player

Discus and support Alterative to windows media player in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; For years I have used Windows Media Player. I use it to play the media stored on my PC. I like the fact that I can open it up, set it to random, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by mawallace, Jun 16, 2017.

1. mawallace Win User

Alterative to windows media player

For years I have used Windows Media Player. I use it to play the media stored on my PC.

I like the fact that I can open it up, set it to random, and it finds all the media on my PC and plays it.

Is there any other programs that will play all music in the Windows Music folder randomly? I ask because of late Media Player has crashed on several occasions and I would like to switch.

:)

mawallace, Jun 16, 2017
  2. TWR01 Win User

Renamed Media Player Playlists Do Not keep the new name

1. I am using media player 12 on Windows 10

2. The only other players I have are Spotify (which does not see these lists) and MS-Groove (that came with the machine. Altering the name in Groove ... seems to alter the filename and then make it appear in media Player (with the new name)... but not visa
    versa

I ran the Troubleshooter and it listed the media Player Library as Corrupt. I fixed it, but it deleted ALL the playlists from Media Player (I have to add them, or perform a "Save As" to make them reappear (after manually loading), or wait for the library
    to rebuild.

Kind Regards

TWR01, Jun 16, 2017
  3. lack of artist backgrounds and smart dj function

Try altering the properties on a couple of albums and see if that makes any difference ? Try opening an album in Windows Media Player and right click on album and select find album info, see if thet helps ?

carman58---01, Jun 16, 2017
  4. Alterative to windows media player

storageman, Jun 16, 2017
  5. BaconTime Win User
    We can try and help you with the crashing

BaconTime, Jun 16, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @mawallace

Although Windows 10 still includes Media Player, Microsoft's recommended app for playing music is now Groove Music. Open it, select 'My Music' and 'Songs' (if you wish, set a filter and a genre) then click 'Shuffle all'.

Alterative to windows media player [​IMG]

7. swarfega Win User
    VLC is a well known alternative that can play almost anything. Think about giving it a go. There;'s a desktop version and a Store version.

Also WMP hasn't really been updated since Windows 7.

swarfega, Jun 16, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

+1 for VLC, quite useful for playing videos downloaded from YouTube and other such sites. Works with a variety of audio and video files.

Berton, Jun 17, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Yes I use (and like) VLC too, but @BaconTime @swarfega and @Berton - does it do what @mawallace requires?

As far as I can see, if you run VLC and use it to open the Music folder it plays everything it can find (including in subfolders) but in alphabetical order, not a random shuffle. Is there an option I've missed?

Groove Music does at least offer the same 'random' playback as the old Media Player (which it was designed to replace).

10. swarfega Win User
    Yes it does, you can open a folder of say music and then press random button.

swarfega, Jun 17, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    Ah, thank you - I did indeed miss seeing the option. It's on the toolbar at the bottom, I was looking in the menus at the top *Smile

12. swarfega Win User
    It's really quite a feature rich program. Often over looked.

swarfega, Jun 17, 2017
  13. f14tomcat Win User

??? Shuffle Playlist - addons.videolan.org ???

f14tomcat, Jun 17, 2017
  14. swarfega Win User
    It's built in. Shuffle and random.

swarfega, Jun 17, 2017
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    Ok! *Smile That was my 1 cents worth of knowledge of VLC, although I do love it!

f14tomcat, Jun 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Alterative to windows media player - Similar Threads - Alterative media player

2. Windows Media Player?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player?: How do I remove all duplicates on windows Media Player ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player/8be8d9a5-385a-4608-a88d-f3b6b816b7ae
  3. Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player: Hi, I've been trying to rip cd's onto my USB stick, I've been having some issues trying to rip the 1st track of cd's onto it and Windows Media Player keeps ripping the 1st track of my cd's onto a seperate album called "Unkown album" with the date and time at the end of itCan...
  4. Windows Media Player

Windows Media Player: I have a laptop with a external cd player/recorder usb but I can, t seem to get the the start burn button to highlight or work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player/ffa080f8-2bfa-40f6-a7a2-585a376ff0b4
  5. windows media player

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows media player: just got this pc I need help with windows media player it transfers music [ ripped cds but not album art to my xduoo x3II mp3 ] I have no real understanding of how pc works can someone help...
  6. Windows Media Player

Windows Media Player: Por gentileza, acho que algo esta faltando em meu computador relativo ao Windows Media Player, pois nao consigo assistir um DVD, talvez seja porque atualizei minha versao do Winds 10. Poderiam me ajudar, por favor...
  7. Windows media player

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows media player: My media player will play CDs but not DVDs. Isn't it supposed to do DVDs as well? If that's true , how do I fix it so it will show DVDs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player/2f9a5928-9b37-4cd3-8828-989b48cf5d1d
  8. Windows Media Player

Windows Media Player: Why when I try to rip an audio CD do I get an image in WMP showing all tracks are ticked for ripping and all tracks are pending for recording but nothing happens. The program just hangs at this point....
  9. windows media player

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows media player: I have some recorded music in my library, but would like to change the time between the songs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player/8d7d44f1-d69a-43f7-88b1-2582056e53d6
  10. windows media player

windows media player: i was loading my cd to the computer and i was noticing that the first track of every cd was not loading the track information to the computer what could this be https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player/ca2dfa7e-fd13-48b7-8885-0426d2f888c5