Windows 10: Alternate file copy settings possible?

Discus and support Alternate file copy settings possible? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've never liked the concurrent file copy that Windows has had. I drag a season of TV over to a hard drive, drag another season over while that one is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mdrew, Jan 25, 2016.

1. mdrew Win User

Alternate file copy settings possible?

I've never liked the concurrent file copy that Windows has had. I drag a season of TV over to a hard drive, drag another season over while that one is copying, and all of them copy slower and slower to all finish at the same time. I'd like a Consecutive copy rather than a Concurrent copy. Seems like a small thing, and rather than installing alternate file management programs (teracopy) I was wondering if there was a slick way to change it natively in WIn10?
    thanks!

Lifehacker Alternate File Copiers: CopyHandler, Fast Copy, Rich Copy, Ultracopier

:)

mdrew, Jan 25, 2016

2. Copy-paste settings. When i copy-paste or drag file or folder, it does not overwrite or prompt me to decide on it. It makes a copy.

Hello everyone,

Usually, when i copy and paste or move a file or folder, i get a dialog box prompting me to decide whether to replace, overwrite or create a copy of the file or folder if there is one with the same name in the destination folder.

As of recent, files or folders copied or moved in such a situation just create a copy of it with a file name altered from the original file name. i.e.: file name - copy.

For example; copying the folder or file "People" will paste in the destination folder with a folder or file with the same name, as

"People - Copy".

Please help me anyone. I would really appreciate it. I am using Windows 10 Pro.

Thank you for reading.

KodNemNeky, Jan 25, 2016
  3. Copy-paste settings. When i copy-paste or drag file or folder, it does not overwrite or prompt me to decide on it. It makes a copy.

Thanks!

Have a Great day

Roharashraj™, Jan 25, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

I am not aware of a way to do this in W10 other than by writing a powershell script to do the copying as a series using loops but then you would probably be better off with one of the apps you mentioned.

May I ask why you think serial or consecutive mode is better? I can understand the hard drive heads are working overtime with concurrent reads and writes but with SSDs there should be no difference.

philc43, Jan 25, 2016
  5. mdrew Win User
    Right, there aren't any read/write heads with SSD, but mainly I'm dealing with the network and USB bottle necks. I'll copy three large folders with a dozen large files each. When the connection drops, or the disk is full, I've got three loose ends instead of one single stopping point. That's why I like it. I also really like the feature some of the other copiers offer where it will tell you: you're trying to copy a folder that's too large for the drive (even though it's half way through a write).

mdrew, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Alternate file copy settings possible? - Similar Threads - Alternate file copy

2. Alternatives for File history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alternatives for File history: I am looking for a replacement for the Windows file history program. Paid or free doesn't matterWhat I would like to accomplish is the same as File history with an hourly update. I would like the option to select what files I want backed up regularly. I also would like a...
  3. Alternatives for File history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alternatives for File history: I am looking for a replacement for the Windows file history program. Paid or free doesn't matterWhat I would like to accomplish is the same as File history with an hourly update. I would like the option to select what files I want backed up regularly. I also would like a...
  4. Alternatives for File history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.

How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.: Hi, Dose anybody know if this is possible. For example some times I want to open a .mkv file in a video player and some times in an editor. Obviously you can right click and choose open with. But there has to be way like pressing Alt and double clicking to open in a...
  6. How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.: Hi, Dose anybody know if this is possible. For example some times I want to open a .mkv file in a video player and some times in an editor. Obviously you can right click and choose open with. But there has to be way like pressing Alt and double clicking to open in a...
  7. Is it possible to "Copy & Replace"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to "Copy & Replace": Hello, I thought this is how copy/paste used to work but it has not for a while. I have 2 HDDs with some of the same files on each. I want to copy the files from 1 HDD to the other and if the same file name is found, replace it with the one being copied. This is very...
  8. Is it possible to modify the File Explorer "Copy to" menu?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to modify the File Explorer "Copy to" menu?: In File Explorer there is a 'Copy to" menu, which seems to be comprised mostly of the directories I have pinned to quick access. Is there any way to add or remove folders from this menu? -Thanks...
  9. Copy & Paste alternative to the windows offering

Copy & Paste alternative to the windows offering: Hi looking for an alternative to the Windows Copy / cut / paste, preferably freeware, most importantly need shutdown / hibernate sleep option at the end of the process, but any other functions would be great. really surprised that COPY PASTE in windows hasn’t evolved since...
  10. Copying / moving files form Win Explorer not possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying / moving files form Win Explorer not possible?: When I try to copy / move a file or folder from the Win Explorer (as admin) to another program this sign is shown, transferring is not possible: [img] How could I make it work? 72751