Windows 10: Alternate Program directory, all programs missing

Discus and support Alternate Program directory, all programs missing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have a multiple SSD/HD setup in my laptop. My main SSD that I use for the system isn't very large, so I use an alternate directory (not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Meetloaf13, May 2, 2016.

1. Alternate Program directory, all programs missing

Hello, I have a multiple SSD/HD setup in my laptop. My main SSD that I use for the system isn't very large, so I use an alternate directory (not C:\Program Files (x86)) on my secondary SSD to install my programs. Things like Intuit Quickbooks, Office, and other 3rd party programs.

Quickbooks was running an update of some sort and was in this nasty loop. I had to kill it, and then I rebooted. (I had just uninstalled Steam as well, fwiw) Now, all of the programs that I had installed in my alternate directory D:\Programs\XXXXXXXXXXX are now missing. Most of my directories are gone, except for a few that, what I'm guessing, are files that were locked.

My file associations and program defaults are still intact, so there's still trace of those programs.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how this could have happened. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

:)

Meetloaf13, May 2, 2016
  2. HairyFool Win User

RegEdit Program Files Question

Microsoft does not support changing the path for the Program Files and Program Files(x86) directory. They should always remain on the Operating System drive.

You will find articles describing how to change these directories but like any change away from the supported configuration should expect to be able to sort out any problems.

If a programs setup utility allows you to redefine the install directory then you can configure an alternative location at that time.

HairyFool, May 2, 2016
  3. Installation problems with PCSuite - NCL...dll not found

I miss the entire Transports/ directory, under my C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite

fabio68---01, May 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Alternate Program directory, all programs missing

Hello, not obvious to me to suggest what might have happened, I'm afraid. Seems like some unfortunate glitch or bug.

Splitting installed programs from the OS such that the install path is to a different physical disk to that containing the OS is definitely not a preferred configuration.

It seems you can access the second SSD and read it, so I guess you haven't lost a partition. Have you tried any recovery software?

More usefully, do you have any disk images you can restore?

That info. is from the registry on your first disk, but the primary files and folders for your programs are on the other disk.

Without disk image backups, I can only suggest you try recovery software, but I doubt this will actually help you recover reliably or completely, and may not achieve anything.

For interest: a discussion about using Recuva (well-known file recovery program) and SSDs:
    What to expect when using Recuva on an SSD c.f. HDD - Recuva Discussion - Piriform Community Forums

dalchina, May 2, 2016
  5. THanks Dalchina, I suspected as much.

Is there a place where a list of the different softwares would be kept? Like a directory list of the D:\PRograms directory?

Meetloaf13, May 3, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    I suggest running chkdsk x: /r against the SSD with the problem. Replace X: with it's drive letter.

The best way to run this is to boot a Windows 10 install DVD or flash drive, click on Repair on the 2nd install window then follow to get to a Command Prompt. You'll have to look to see what drive letter is assigned to that SSD. The easiest way is to use diskpart, something like this:

Code: C:\Users\rrkurtz>diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.10586 Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation. On computer: DESKTOP DISKPART> list vol Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- Volume 0 L DVD-ROM 0 B No Media Volume 1 C Lenovo_C NTFS Partition 232 GB Healthy Boot Volume 2 Recovery NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden Volume 3 FAT32 Partition 100 MB Healthy System Volume 4 D Lenovo_D NTFS Partition 732 GB Healthy Volume 5 E Lenovo_E NTFS Partition 732 GB Healthy Volume 6 F Lenovo_F NTFS Partition 398 GB Healthy Volume 7 G Lenovo_G NTFS Partition 698 GB Healthy Volume 8 H Lenovo_H NTFS Partition 698 GB Healthy Volume 9 J Removable 0 B No Media Volume 10 K Removable 0 B No Media Volume 11 I Removable 0 B No Media[/quote] You should be able to pick out the SSD with the problem from that then run chkdsk x: /r

Replace x: with the correct drive letter. Be patient and let it run to completion.

Ztruker, May 3, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    A list of programs installed? There are programs that can list the software you've installed on your system, and of course there is the Control Panel, Programs and Features list.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Alternate Program directory, all programs missing

1. Alternate Program directory, all programs missing - Similar Threads - Alternate Program directory

2. HELP missing list of directories when installing a program

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP missing list of directories when installing a program: [ATTACH] I have a problem when I try to install a program I can't choose another drive to install it on because I am missing some options compared to my other PC please help...
  3. All programs missing: please help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All programs missing: please help.: Recently I changed my login to use a pin. Worked fine for days. Then one child attempted to many wrong pins. He says the machine then rebooted itself. When I came to it, my pin worked. But ALL programs disappeared. Some, but not all, have entries in all programs-but clicking...
  4. Need an alternative program to open...

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Need an alternative program to open...: I don't have MS Office and I need to find a free program to open a "PSA-.DOC" . Does anyone know of one? I've tried Foxit, but that doesn't do it. What's throwing me, is the PSA.... 170332
  5. All Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    All Programs: Yesterday I could see "All Programs" in the start menu and used it several times. Last night I did several update to Windows 10.. Now I can NOT see "All Programs" anywhere. Any suggestion on how to fix this? Thank you 168158
  6. missing programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    missing programs: I cannot find accessories in my start up. I am trying to find out why I cannot download from the internet. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-programs/c587f983-bac3-486e-9abc-3131d1f8ed08
  7. Program Files Directory W10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Files Directory W10: Hello The C Dr. on my one year old Dell laptop is too full to download new programs. The laptop is only used for my work as a musician but the programs I do use are quite large. I followed instructions from another thread in this forum to change the program files...
  8. Program missing from Programs and Features

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program missing from Programs and Features: I want to uninstall iTunes but it isn't in the list of programs in Programs and Features. I have an icon for iTunes which opens the program successfully so I know it is installed. How do I uninstall it?...
  9. program Files directory problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    program Files directory problem: Hello Sir ...... one month month before i have changed my windows instrallation file directory through registry from C drive to D drive. after that i cant update my pc. now i want to go back to the previous file instrallation directory D to C drive........ but when i go to...
  10. Directory / Folder compare program

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory / Folder compare program: Hi there Has anybody got a link to either a Windows or Linux Directory / Folder compare program ? I just want a SIMPLE program that simply lists Files in A that don't exist in B and Files in B that don't exist in A. No Syncing etc etc required. I don't want contents...