Windows 10: Alternates for Save in Virtual Machine Connection application

Discus and support Alternates for Save in Virtual Machine Connection application in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Any thoughts on this one..... I connect to my VM's using RDP, and the workstation using RDP does not have Hyper-V installed. From this workstation,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by sos1043, Apr 18, 2017.

1. sos1043 Win User

Alternates for Save in Virtual Machine Connection application

Any thoughts on this one.....

I connect to my VM's using RDP, and the workstation using RDP does not have Hyper-V installed. From this workstation, I'd like to have a quick option to Save then shutdown or perhaps even take a Checkpoint, both of which are available in the Virtual Machine Connection application via Hyper-V manager. For me, the RDP (actually RDP man v2.7, old as it is still satisfies) werks well for my needs, but I'd like to some how incorporate some feature(s) from the VMC app as this would increase productivity w/o the overhead... perhaps....*Think

For one reason or another (_like_ opinions, do they really matter) perhaps someone other than me would benefit from some ideas along these lines..... maybe you're doing something similar that improves?

Have an Awesome Day *Tongue

:)

sos1043, Apr 18, 2017

2. Can't access a win 7 backup on win 10

Ok, here is an alternative I suggest.

Download Windows 7, set it up in a Virtual Machine, connect external drive to the Virtual machine then restore the backup there.

Step 1: Download Windows 7:

https://tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php?sid=74a7cf5...

Step 2: setup the virtual machine and install Windows 7 there:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/setup-a-virtua...

Step 3: connect the USB external drive, then restore the backup.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 18, 2017
  3. Virtual machine on Windows 10 Pro

I assume by Microsoft virtual machine you mean Hyper V.If Yes,I would like to inform you that Hyper v isn't available for 32 bit systems.However,there are always alternates and you can use Virtualbox or VmWare to install a virtual machine.

Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 18, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Simple way of doing it -- if your workstation can SHARE the HDD's the VM is hosted on you can simply with windows explorer just SAVE the VM folder (the VM HDD's) -- save to external storage or wherever you want.

Another option is to install macrium free on the VM and then run an image disk (the Virtual disk inside the VM) - but this might be difficult with HYPER-V as connecting to external HDD's from within the VM isn't AFAIK as easy as with VMWARE / VBOX.

Probably the simplest and easiest is just to copy the Virtual HDD('s) with Windows explorer on the REMOTE machine -- you don't need to logon with RDP in this case as the HDD's should just be available as shared network drives.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 18, 2017
  5. sos1043 Win User
    Hey Jimbo,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Though I wonder if my post was understandable b/c perhaps your post _seems_ for something different... I think...

This is all on a lan, ok we're good there. Wkstn 'A' is fairly robust and hosting several VM's (Surface Pro, i7, 16ram); it goes everywhere with me and has all my Hyper-V stuff. Networks that Wkstn 'A' visits from time to time, all have @ least one older Wkstn 'B' accessible ('B's are all Win10Pro 32b, Core2, 2Ghz, 3.3ram). I'd prefer not to install Hyper-V on all The Wkstn 'B's if I don't have to; using RDP to connect to my VM's on 'A' is good. However I like the functionality of the VM Connection app & wondered if I could do something similar on the 'B's, again preferring not to install Hyper-V on 'B'.

So, I'm a little lost in your response as there would be changes to the VM's and copying and then recopying again for the changes back to the original machine they were hosted on.... Perhaps I'm overthinking or I'm having another Monday this week...? *Confused

Thx *Smile

sos1043, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Alternates for Save in Virtual Machine Connection application - Similar Threads - Alternates Save Virtual

2. Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state: HelloI will start by noting that my virtual machine is stored on an external ssd to be used between two systems.One time I powered down the VM and unplugged my drive, when I came back to my pc in order to reopen the VM it's state was shown as saved-critical. I could not do...
  3. Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state: HelloI will start by noting that my virtual machine is stored on an external ssd to be used between two systems.One time I powered down the VM and unplugged my drive, when I came back to my pc in order to reopen the VM it's state was shown as saved-critical. I could not do...
  4. How to connect to Shielded Virtual Machine?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to connect to Shielded Virtual Machine?: Namaste!I am using Hyper-V for creating/running Virtual Machines. I want to make my VM more Secure so I enabled Shielded VM.But when I run the Virtual Machine I cannot connect to it. I get this Message "Waiting for enhanced session Virtual Machine Connection to be...
  5. How to connect to Shielded Virtual Machine?

How to connect to Shielded Virtual Machine?: Namaste!I am using Hyper-V for creating/running Virtual Machines. I want to make my VM more Secure so I enabled Shielded VM.But when I run the Virtual Machine I cannot connect to it. I get this Message "Waiting for enhanced session Virtual Machine Connection to be...
  6. Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virtual Machine: So, I'm here to ask if using Windows in a VM virtual Machine Legal? Its cause I am not getting accurate answers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machine/c2e9e1fa-15e4-4532-9864-d114aa139b86
  7. Saving, or exporting a virtual machine?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Saving, or exporting a virtual machine?: First of all, I want to be clear that I'm not asking about saving states or snapshots. I'm asking if there's a way to save, or export an actual virtual machine without having to create it from scratch. It's been a couple of years since I built my current rig and it's time to...
  8. virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    virtual machine: I want to build an oracle VM. I have a new PC with UEFI I am not used to. It is set to the old BIOS and secure boot is disabled. I found virtualization by searching and chose to change virtualization from disabled toe enabled. Is this what I should have done to use Oracle's...
  9. Hyper V not connecting to virtual machine

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper V not connecting to virtual machine: Suddenly, Hyper V would not connect to any Virtual Machine using the Virtual Machine Connection. I trying creating new VMs and nothing worked. I am using Windows 10 Education....
  10. An alternative virtual desktop

An alternative virtual desktop: Hello, I'd just like to reccommend my (free) software to you: Desktop Panorama - a free virtual desktop for Windows 10 It's a panoramic virtual desktop that works on Windows 10 and there isn't a software like it. And also it's been tested from 2008. and should work...