Windows 10: Alternative to Windows slow explorer search - "Everything"

Discus and support Alternative to Windows slow explorer search - "Everything" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been using this for years: voidtools It is virtually instantaneous and searches all your drives at once. 161697 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by martik777, Jul 30, 2020.

1. martik777 Win User

Alternative to Windows slow explorer search - "Everything"

I've been using this for years: voidtools

It is virtually instantaneous and searches all your drives at once.

:)

martik777, Jul 30, 2020
  2. Frick Win User

Windows Explorer Replacement?

j0 all.

The thing is, I have a very annoying problem with the Windows Explorer: It crashes. Quite often and quite random. I have NO idea what the problem is, and I've searched the computer for viruses, trojans and everything, but there is nothing I can find.

So, I decided to drop it and use something else. Any suggestions? It must be easy to use, of course. *Stick Out Tongue Alternative to Windows slow explorer search - "Everything" :p

Peace

/Frick

Frick, Jul 31, 2020
  3. razghost Win User
    File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Ok so since upgrading from 7 to 10 file explorer has been a absolute nightmare! Everything was either incredibly slow, didn't happen or only partially load. After enduring this to this day I have decided enough is enough and started diagnosing by limiting the startup services using MSconfig.

After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't.

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

razghost, Jul 31, 2020
  4. Alternative to Windows slow explorer search - "Everything"

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

Alternative to Windows slow explorer search - "Everything"

1. Alternative to Windows slow explorer search - "Everything" - Similar Threads - Alternative slow explorer

2. file explorer search running slow/ not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer search running slow/ not working: When I try to search a drive, folder or anything using the "quick search access" it doesn't seem to be working. It gets stuck just before the end, and no search result is given. I have tried the fix tool to no avail. It seems with older versions it was a matter of a few...
  3. file explorer search running slow/ not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer search running slow/ not working: When I try to search a drive, folder or anything using the "quick search access" it doesn't seem to be working. It gets stuck just before the end, and no search result is given. I have tried the fix tool to no avail. It seems with older versions it was a matter of a few...
  4. explorer lag/slow with column "width" and "height", alternative?

in Windows 10 Support
    explorer lag/slow with column "width" and "height", alternative?: as title suggested, some folders have width and height column to be able to see images max dimension in width and height without having to open it, but it lags and very slow, what to do? 171639
  5. Windows explorer slow file search

in Cortana
    Windows explorer slow file search: The search file option on windows explorer is very slow and basic. Basically it has to be rebuilt and made more powerful, like some third party file search software full of options....
  6. Searching For A Minimal Windows Explorer Alternative

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Searching For A Minimal Windows Explorer Alternative: Do you guys know a minimal windows explorer alternative? It doesn't need to be full of features, or anything, just a really clean looking file explorer with the least amount of buttons for it to still be usable. Thank you in advance! submitted by /u/csumpasd [link]...
  7. Explorer (window management) alternative for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer (window management) alternative for Windows 10: For as long as Windows 10 has been around, I've had tremendous issues with UI fluidity and speed on the OS. An example: On a new ThinkPad laptop with fairly high specs, I opened Explorer and went to C:\SomeFolder. I pressed shift+ctrl+n to create a new folder. The green...
  8. Windows Defender slowing everything

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender slowing everything: We have had 4-5 users over the last 2 business days reporting extreme system slowness all of a sudden. This appears to be cause by the ‘antimalware service executeable’ in task manager, using high CPU and Disk write capacity (up to 150MB/s). This makes our affected laptops...
  9. Recommendation for an alternative file explorer

Recommendation for an alternative file explorer: Hi All, Can anyone please give me a recommendation for an alternative file explorer. I have downloaded a trial version of xplorer2 and it seems quite good. Are their any alternatives? Thanks 66327
  10. Windows (File) explorer alternatives

Windows (File) explorer alternatives: Hi there are there any File explorer alternatives that can group and display files / directories easily in user selectable fields - for example here I've grouped them in alphabetical order with clear demarcations between each group. (Linux -- KDE file manager Dolphin)....