Windows 10: Alternatives To Encryption Re: Prying Eyes

Discus and support Alternatives To Encryption Re: Prying Eyes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After some consideration and practicing on (slow) 16GB USB flash drives I believe I have abandoned my idea to use VeraCrypt on Western Digital 12 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phaedruspress, May 4, 2021.

1. Alternatives To Encryption Re: Prying Eyes

After some consideration and practicing on (slow) 16GB USB flash drives I believe I have abandoned my idea to use VeraCrypt on Western Digital 12 and 14TB external USB drives. I have come to the conclusion that encryption is not really designed for drives this large using FDE (Full Disk Encryption since the drives will be filled up and/ or a container with an 11TB file is just as cumbersome ). If I get hit by a bus then I would prefer that my relatives not know what I am hoarding (adult, tv and movies). I am familiar with hiding a folder from the ribbon, as well as from the CMD prompt using something like this (are they the same) attrib +s +h C:\Users\Resident 4\a hiddenattrib -s +h C:\Users\Resident 4\a unhide or simple password protecting folders. But I am not sure how secure those "tricks" are should someone say boot off of a Linux ISO or just hook up the external USB drives to another computer or make an image of the drive etc. etc. I have come across WD Security but I am unfamiliar with it and don't know if it is any better then the options I ticked off. So if I don't want to use VeraCrypt or BitLocker are there any alternatives that will force someone to have to format the 12TB drive rather then having them be able to divine the contents using some means to do so? TIA.

:)

phaedruspress, May 4, 2021
  2. Callender Win User

Alternatives To Encryption Re: Prying Eyes

More info. I can see a superhidden folder on root of C drive and can see the names of hidden files. However any attempt at recovery results in a zero byte unreadable file being recovered. So if a user knew how where to look they could obtain file names only.

Alternatives To Encryption Re: Prying Eyes [​IMG]

Alternatives To Encryption Re: Prying Eyes [​IMG]

I didn't try the same for Hidden/ Secret Disk as they don't work with external drives.

Callender, May 4, 2021
  3. Alternatives To Encryption Re: Prying Eyes

Thanks. That's very informative. I will certainly now add the Winmend Folder Hidden application when I take a closer look at BitLocker in the coming days.

phaedruspress, May 4, 2021
  4. sygnus21 Win User

My question is do you need a sledge hammer to or a small mallet? Depending on who you fear the prying eyes are will depend on the tool needed.

To use the analogy.... locks are there to keep honest people honest. The hardcore thief is going to find a way in no matter the lock (or encryption method). For my situation as explained in my previous post, I'm using the tools that keep honest people honest. I'm not in a situation where I need something more hardcore.

And since I can't account for every "what if" in the universe, I simply keep it simple and keep it moving.

My two cents.

WD Drive Unlock. And as far as I know it is updated. Yes... password protecting the drive.

Anyway, whatever drive you get if it has the software just follow the instruction for setting things up.

sygnus21, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Alternatives To Encryption Re: Prying Eyes - Similar Threads - Alternatives Encryption Prying

2. Eye caremode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Eye caremode: it keeps turning on when i am play ing a game im using asus laptop and its not night light https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/eye-caremode/1101cb0f-24a2-4a52-b003-d64b8e1d7e60
  3. Chyba pri Aktualizáciu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chyba pri Aktualizáciu: Dobrý večer chcel by som sa spýtať čo mám robiť ak mi vyskočí hlásenie o chybe 0x80072F8F 0x20000 keď si chcem aktualizovať Windows 7 na Windows 10 ? Ďakujem za každú odpoveď !...
  4. Chyba pri Aktualizáciu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chyba pri Aktualizáciu: Dobrý večer chcel by som sa spýtať čo mám robiť ak mi vyskočí hlásenie o chybe 0x80072F8F 0x20000 keď si chcem aktualizovať Windows 7 na Windows 10 ? Ďakujem za každú odpoveď !...
  5. Unable to change DNS Encryption for Alternate IPv6 DNS

Unable to change DNS Encryption for Alternate IPv6 DNS: I manually set my DNS settings SETTINGS > NETWORK & INTERNET > ETHERNET > EDIT DNS SETTINGS. When I try to change my DNS Encryption for the Alternate IPv6, it is grayed out and "Unencrypted Only" is the default. After saving the settings, the manual changes reflect what I...
  6. Unable to change DNS Encryption for Alternate IPv6 DNS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change DNS Encryption for Alternate IPv6 DNS: I manually set my DNS settings SETTINGS > NETWORK & INTERNET > ETHERNET > EDIT DNS SETTINGS. When I try to change my DNS Encryption for the Alternate IPv6, it is grayed out and "Unencrypted Only" is the default. After saving the settings, the manual changes reflect what I...
  7. Re-encryption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-encryption: Can one Re-encrypt a file that is already encrypted with a password? I'd like to re-encrypt the file with a different password. I couldn't find anything about that. I did find something about going to properties and advanced settings and check the encrypt somethin box, but it...
  8. Re-encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-encryption: Can one Re-encrypt a file that is already encrypted with a password? I'd like to re-encrypt the file with a different password. I couldn't find anything about that. I did find something about going to properties and advanced settings and check the encrypt somethin box, but it...
  9. Re-encryption

10. Alternative App TO HWINFO Re: Device Reliability Degraded

in Windows 10 Support
    Alternative App TO HWINFO Re: Device Reliability Degraded: I am looking for an app not unlike HWINFO that will test for Device Reliability Degradation. HWINFO gave a RED flag and I want to see if another app that tests for this returns the same info. Cam across this one but I can not tell what it does exactly. Diskovery | The...