Windows 10: Alternatives to printer redirection in RDP sessions.

Discus and support Alternatives to printer redirection in RDP sessions. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Here is our scenario... we have many users that will now be working from home. These users are doing RDP sessions from computers at their homes (using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ecentdj, May 24, 2020.

1. Alternatives to printer redirection in RDP sessions.

Here is our scenario... we have many users that will now be working from home. These users are doing RDP sessions from computers at their homes (using windows 10) to their on site computers (running Windows 7). They do almost all of their work on the remote computer. Many of these users need the ability to print from home so we are going to begin deploying usb connected printers that they can install on their local computers. We have tried just about everything we can think of to get the locally attached printers to show up in their rdp sessions but we are having no luck. We simply can’t get printer redirection in to work on the rdp sessions. What alternatives are their for printer redirection? Can printers be redirected on some other way? Is there another rdp client that we can use?

submitted by /u/ecentdj
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ecentdj, May 24, 2020
  2. AY838 Win User

Windows Default Printer Behavior. Default printer changing when RDP session uses local share. Last Used option is off. At least one machine picks a third printer to be the default.

I have a few computers which are changing their default printer. I have turned off the "Last Used" mode. The default printer is set.

For two computers the user logs in to a RDP session. They print back to a local shared printer. The default changes from the office printer (not shared) to the local shared printer.

For the third computer, it actually has two shared printers. When I print to this computer from the RDP, the printer that was not selected (though shared) is the one that becomes the default.

Ex:

Computer 1 and 2 has Pinter A and C. Printer C is a IP printer and is not shared by the local machine. Printer C is the default (Last Used function is turned off.) Printer A is a local Generic Printer which has a receipt printer attached. The user remotes
    into a 2008 R2 session. They print a receipt to the receipt printer (Printer A.) The default printer for computer 1 and 2 will become printer A.

Computer 3 has printers A, B, and C. Printer A is a Generic Printer and shared. Printer B is a TM-T20 and shared. Printer C was a PDF printer. I set the default printer to Printer C. I remote into the 2008 server and print to Printer B. Printer A becomes
    the default printer.

This issue is only being reported on Windows 10 machines. Windows 7 machines behave as expected. I'm not sure how a RDP session should even be allowed to tell the computer initiating the remote session to change its default printer. For this reason, I
    also look at Win 10 to stop the RDP session from being able to change local settings.

Because of the way the software on the RDP works, I cannot use the printer redirection. Printing to redirected printers, I'm fairly sure, is not causing the same problem. I tested at least once, I think, to a redirected printer and the default printer
    did not change.

AY838, May 24, 2020
  3. B_Skinner Win User
    Printer not working after RDP logoff

I have Windows Server 2016 working as a print server for networked printers. The remote PC (Windows 10) has the printer and driver installed, and works perfectly....until it is connected to from a 2nd PC (Windows 7) through RDP. During the remote session,
    the Win7 PC can print to the printers on the Win10 PC via redirection, but when the session is closed, and the user goes to the physical Win10 PC, the printer will not print, it is greyed out. It has to be uninstalled, and reinstalled before it will print.

Most documents and answers show fixes for printer problems during the remote session, but I cannot find anything on how to correct the issue I am having AFTER the remote session has ended.

What can I do to ensure the printer is available?

Thanks in advance!

B_Skinner, May 24, 2020
  4. Alternatives to printer redirection in RDP sessions.

RDP session

I have a video wall with 10 screens and I am using windows 10 enterprise, I can't span an RDP session to another screen it seems to be locked to the main screen

JohnNic212, May 24, 2020
Thema:

Alternatives to printer redirection in RDP sessions.

1. Alternatives to printer redirection in RDP sessions. - Similar Threads - Alternatives printer redirection

2. Rdp printer redirection works only for the first session until reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rdp printer redirection works only for the first session until reboot: I have a client who works from home via RDP and until a week ago she didn't have any problem with printing on a local printer. A week ago the problem started. She's using two different computers to connect to the remote computer and the problem is consistent with both. When...
  3. Rdp printer redirection works only for the first session until reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rdp printer redirection works only for the first session until reboot: I have a client who works from home via RDP and until a week ago she didn't have any problem with printing on a local printer. A week ago the problem started. She's using two different computers to connect to the remote computer and the problem is consistent with both. When...
  4. Rdp printer redirection works only for the first session until reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Printers not being redirected through remote desktop sessions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printers not being redirected through remote desktop sessions: Hello.My team is making some changes on the server infrastructure and we are going through a real pain trying to redirect printers.We have an old server which is working fine and redirecting the printers without any problem.We copied the same settings but in Windows Server...
  6. RDP Redirect

in Windows 10 Customization
    RDP Redirect: I am the only administrator in my organization that when using RDP it sends me directly to the Domain Controller. I have checked certificates, firewalls, HKLM, cleared my ARP cache, flushed DNS, and verified server/PC certificates. I have no idea why it does this. I received...
  7. Windows Update 2004 Redirected printers in RDP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update 2004 Redirected printers in RDP: After Update I lost my redirected printers in RDP. Before update i have access all my redirected printers. i cant find any solution anyone know about this issue ? Thanks for your helps... submitted by /u/DarkOralet [link] [comments]...
  8. How to redirect smart card trought RDP session

How to redirect smart card trought RDP session: Hello, What is the way to redirect smart card for digital signature during RDP session?I tested several options without success. I am interested in a scenario in which the smart card reader is placed in the rdp client, but is used during the session in the rdp host.I tried...
  9. Local printers not redirecting in RDP connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Local printers not redirecting in RDP connection: My client has a Windows 2011 Small Business Server using Active Directory. Due to COVID-19, they have enacted work from home measures. One of their employees is using RDP to connect to their office computer remotely. Their local computer is Windows 10 and their remote...
  10. RDP session

RDP session: I have a video wall with 10 screens and I am using windows 10 enterprise, I can't span an RDP session to another screen it seems to be locked to the main screen...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 rdp printer redirect