Windows 10: Alternatives to Windows Defragmenter

Discus and support Alternatives to Windows Defragmenter in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've seen elsewhere that the defragmenter in Windows isn't very good. Is this true? Whilst I wouldn't actually pay for a defragmenter utility, are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mjbj403, Nov 7, 2019.

1. mjbj403 Win User

Alternatives to Windows Defragmenter

I've seen elsewhere that the defragmenter in Windows isn't very good.

Is this true?

Whilst I wouldn't actually pay for a defragmenter utility, are there any free ones that anyone thinks are any good please?

Thanks.

:)

mjbj403, Nov 7, 2019

2. Questions related to defragmentation

Hello Bookum,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I will help you out with the queries regarding disk defragmentation.

Defragmentation will work even if the computer goes to sleep mode.

However, if you face any issue, you can change the sleep mode time.

Follow the steps below:

• Type "power options" in start menu and select Power options.
    • Select "Change plan settings" next to "Balanced".
    • Change the time for sleep mode.

And, if you interrupt the defragmentation in between, the defragmentation will start from first when you perform again.

I hope this information helps.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Nov 7, 2019
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Defragmentation not working, and new update causing crashes

Hi,

It is possible that Disk Defragmenter service has been disabled or not properly running on your PC, causing defragmentation issues. To troubleshoot this, kindly try these following methods:

Run System File Checker

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. To do so, follow these steps:

• Right-click the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Run this command: SFC /scannow
    • This may take several minutes to finish. If Command Prompt shows Verification 100% complete, close the command prompt and check if your issue has been fixed.

Check Disk Defragmenter service

Disk Defragmenter service is required to perform disk defragmentation. If Disk Defragmenter service and other services that is required to perform disk defragmentation is disabled, you may encounter issues doing defragmentation. To troubleshoot this, follow
    these steps:

• In the search box, search and open Services.
    • Find Disk Defragmenter service, right-click it, and select Properties.
    • Make sure that Disk Defragmenter service Startup type is set to Manual.
    • Go back to the Services window and make sure that the Startup type of these services is set to Automatic:
      • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
      • DCOM Server Process Launcher
      • RPC Endpoint Mapper

Regarding your issue with the Windows Update, kindly answer these following questions for us to assist:

• What is the update that you are trying to install (KB16XXXX)?
    • What are the specifications of your PC?
    • Do you receive any error messages when encountering a system crash?

We'll be looking forward for your response.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Nov 7, 2019
  4. John Zab Win User

defragmentation

Hi Richard,

We have a couple of workarounds for defragmentation issues, try the following:

Method 1: Check your hard disk for errors in Windows 10.

• Press Windows key+X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the window that opens enter chkdsk /f.
    Method 2:
    Run System File Checker (SFC)

Method 3: Check if Disk Defragmenter service is running properly.

This service is required for performing disk defragmentation, and if it’s disable, you won’t be able to run a defragmentation tool.

• Search for services.msc.
    • Make sure that Disk Defragmenter service is set to
      manual
    • Also, make sure that following services are set to Automatic:

Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

DCOM Server Process Launcher.

RPC Endpoint Mapper.
    Let us know how it goes.

John Zab, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Alternatives to Windows Defragmenter - Similar Threads - Alternatives Defragmenter

2. Program's alternatives does not show up when clicked on in task bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Program's alternatives does not show up when clicked on in task bar: When I click on a program's icon in the taskbar on my stationary computer the alternatives (which I see on my laptop) does not come up. Normally there should be some program specific alternatives like "new tab" and "new incognito tab" for Chrome. However, all that shows up...
  3. Is there a way to unblock or bypass usb restrictions? Or maybe an alternative.

Is there a way to unblock or bypass usb restrictions? Or maybe an alternative.: I’m a photographer in high school taking a photography course. One project we need to do is to upload photos we have taken and describing elements and principals about them. I have a external hard drive with around 300gb of data that has all my photos I’ve taken. I tried to...
  4. one drive not allowing alternate PC to save

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    one drive not allowing alternate PC to save: I am working on a document on my laptop and saving it to my One Drive, when I access it on my PC it will not let me save my changes and states it is checked out or locked for editing. I am the only one that can access this file, I believe (it's my resume), and cannot figure...
  5. Needing Windows 10 Photos App help or suggested alternative

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Needing Windows 10 Photos App help or suggested alternative: Hello: I recently switched from iPhotos/Photos on a Mac to Windows 10. I am trying to get the Windows 10 Photos App to work as I believe it should. However I am struggling with getting the app to work as expected. 1) I can not aggregate any of my NAS photos which I can...
  6. Looking for an alternative to File Explorer so that I can see X-Large images on my UHD...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Looking for an alternative to File Explorer so that I can see X-Large images on my UHD...: One of the really, really basic things Windows used to be able to do in File Explorer was display images in a myriad of ways (Small, Large, X-Large, Details, Content, Tiles etc). File Explorer did its job well on the Low Res screens we used to own but now we have the luxury...
  7. Still no snooze in email! Alternatives?

Still no snooze in email! Alternatives?: I still can't believe Windows 10 email does not do snooze. Every alternative is expensive... Is there any hope? I use gmail but I don't like the browser experience and it just doesn't work right with my work and home accounts when I click a link for email actions....
  8. What's a good alternative system font?

What's a good alternative system font?: Windows 10 uses a lot of glyphs/unicode and really really wants them all in the system font. What's a good font to replace Segoe UI with? I just really don't like it for some reason I can't exactly put my finger on. I know how to use another font, I'm just looking for...
  9. Alternative to Scandisk

Alternative to Scandisk: I bought a hard drive and I would test the whole surface. what do you suggest as an alternative to scandisk? or what settings to use (in scandisk)? submitted by /u/gabenika [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dobh1h/alternative_to_scandisk/
  10. Is there an alternative download for Education version ISO?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there an alternative download for Education version ISO?: Hello. My university moved from previous option to Azure distribution and the keys for Windows ar now handled by OnTheHub by Kivuto. However, I can't download ISO for Windows 10 from there, it points me to Microsoft site....