Windows 10: Always On VPN ipv4 address DNS Registration

Discus and support Always On VPN ipv4 address DNS Registration in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, We have implemented Always on VPN (User tunnel) and everything is working as expected. Just only one caviate which we have noticed is that VPN... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by merwindz, Dec 27, 2018.

1. merwindz Win User

Always On VPN ipv4 address DNS Registration

Hi, We have implemented Always on VPN (User tunnel) and everything is working as expected.

Just only one caviate which we have noticed is that VPN client IP4 address will not register in DNS until we manually select these two boxes on the VPN connection adapter settings.

I tried adding the following in the profile " <RegisterDNS>true</RegisterDNS> " and no effect at all.

Do you know how can i resolve this issue?

thanks in advance.

Merwin

:)

merwindz, Dec 27, 2018
  2. jon111 Win User

Force Windows to use IPV4 DNS Server Address

My local bind9 DNS Server address comes from a local ISC DHCP server as an IPV4 address.

ipconfig /all show both IPV6 and IPV4 addresses for the DNS server in that order.

nslookup always shows only the IPV6 address for the "Default Server".

The system IPV6 prefix policy is set to prefer IPV4 over IPV6.

I want the system to only use the IPV4 address for the DNS Server.

So far, I have not been able to find a way to configure windows to stop using the IPV6 address

for the local DNS server.

Any specific help would be greatly appreciated.

jon111, Dec 27, 2018
  3. wirlez Win User
    Win 10: Properties button of IPv4 and IPv6 settings of a VPN connection without function

I found a way to add a DNS server

• Open Powershell
      • Windows key
      • Type: powershell
      • Rightclick with mouse and choose "run as administrator"
    • Connect to your VPN
    In powershell:

Type: Get-DnsClientServerAddress

Now find your VPN and remember the number under "Interface Index"

Type: Set-DnsClientServerAddress -InterfaceIndex x -Validate -ServerAddresses ("yyy.yyy.y.yy","zzz.zzzz.z.zz")

Where x is your Interface Index, y is your first DNS address and z is your second DNS address. The second DNS address is optional.

Example:

Set-DnsClientServerAddress -InterfaceIndex 42 -Validate -ServerAddresses ("192.168.4.248")

wirlez, Dec 27, 2018
  4. Knoxx29 Win User

Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Hi everyone.
    I am not an expert about Vpn and that's why I would like to know if someone could list me a few trusted Vpns, I would really appreciate any suggestion/ advice.

Thanks.

Knoxx29, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Always On VPN ipv4 address DNS Registration - Similar Threads - Always VPN ipv4

2. Always On VPN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Always On VPN: Looking for some consensus around the Tunnel options for Always on VPN my first thought is that using them in parallel would be the most secure option ? Appreciate any feedback on other users experiences based on a user group 6k+...
  3. Always On VPN DNS resolution problem

Always On VPN DNS resolution problem: Hi we set up Always On VPN in force-tunnel mode. Server side is RRAS on Win Server 2019, client is Win 10. The customer use split DNS, that means the same FQDN points to a different IPs depending if you are in an inside or outside network. Everything works fine but there...
  4. Windows 10 AlwaysOn VPN & DNS registration/resolution

Windows 10 AlwaysOn VPN & DNS registration/resolution: Hi there, I'm setting up AlwaysOn VPN device tunnel with split tunnelling. All clients are Windows 10 Enterprise 1909, RRAS servers are Windows Server 2019 Standard. XML profile is push through Microsoft Endpoint Management custom configuration profile. By custom profile...
  5. Always on VPN?

Always on VPN?: Hello, I have setup a VPN server. Is it possible to have a always on VPN connection? Like, if I connect my laptop to the internet, it will instantly connect to the VPN and will not disconnect? Even if I disconnect, it should reconnect again. Is that possible? 128623
  6. Always on VPN

Always on VPN: Hello, I have a issue with Always on VPN. Some user can not connect to Always ON VPN, it says "There are no more Files" and when i check in Logbook the time connection was made i get error code 18. Before it helped just to upgrade Windows version to 1809 but even in that...
  7. VPN always on DNS config

VPN always on DNS config: Hi All, Windows10 client (1703) / RRAS 2016 Our VPN solution requires that we honor our split DNS configuration. We deliver our VPN configuration via an XML. our intended split dns configuration is: <DomainNameInformation> <DomainName>.splitdomain.com</DomainName>...
  8. Autoconfiguration ipv4 address

Autoconfiguration ipv4 address: I static an windows 10 pro pc IP address at my job and when I check command prompt, I still get Autoconfiguration ipv4 address 169.254.254.154 (preferred) showing instead of the IP address I assigned manually. is there a way to stop the Autoconfiguration ipv4 address?...
  9. OPEN VPN Google public DNS servers (Ipv4)

OPEN VPN Google public DNS servers (Ipv4): Hi there Any better / faster public DNS servers than Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for using with Web browsing on OPENVPN. (IPV4) Using the Google DNS's is OK but I'm sure they are collecting info all the time !!!! -- mind you Google just has SO MUCH I'm sure they can't...
  10. Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows: How to: Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows How to Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows A DNS (Domain Name System) server is the service that makes it possible for you to open a web browser, type a domain name and load your favorite...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Always on VPN adapter not able to register DNS

2. always on vpn registerdns

3. always on vpn dns registration