Windows 10: Am I indexing my Outlook Data Files twice?

Discus and support Am I indexing my Outlook Data Files twice? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently installed Outlook, added a new hard disk for my data files and then moved the data files from the original drive of install onto the new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MikeMortimer2, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Am I indexing my Outlook Data Files twice?

I recently installed Outlook, added a new hard disk for my data files and then moved the data files from the original drive of install onto the new disk (DAm I indexing my Outlook Data Files twice? :) into the Users subdirectory … all good so far.

My next brain wave was to ensure that the new Users directory was indexed and so I added this to the indexed locations (see attached image).

In doing this, I noticed that Microsoft Outlook (see image) is also included in the indexed locations and I cannot find what this 'Microsoft Outlook) references in terms of files.

So am I indexing the Outlook data files twice and if so, should I remove the permissions for indexing, for the Outlook Data files on the new D: drive?

Am I indexing my Outlook Data Files twice? fb6228d7-2348-4467-bdc0-14ef21a7133c?upload=true.png

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

:)

MikeMortimer2, Oct 3, 2019
  2. qubit Win User

How to install outlook express on windows xp with explorer 8?

This is an awkward problem to solve and one I don't think is worth the time and effort.

The OP would be better off either using a modern webmail service like gmail or outlook.com or using a modern email client like Windows Live Mail like FX-GMC suggested or Thunderbird from Mozilla. If nothing else, Outlook Distress was notorious for corrupting its data files and losing all your email in one easy step. Not worth it.

qubit, Oct 3, 2019
  3. Ryan Fra Win User
    Outlook Indexing Issue - Index is far too small

We would like to confirm if you have perform repairing Outlook data files, if yes please let us know the result.

Please also provide the steps on how did you delete and rebuild the Index for the first time.

Looking forward to your reply.

Ryan Fra, Oct 3, 2019
  4. DavePenn Win User

Am I indexing my Outlook Data Files twice?

Windows 10/Outlook 2016 Search Index Broken

I have a user who can no longer use the search function in outlook 2016. It doesn't give an error, it just wont return results.

After extensive googling, I have found and tried the following solutions to no avail.

1. Rebuild windows search index
    2. Delete windows.edb file and rebuild search index
    3. Remove outlook from the search index, reboot and add it again
    4. Full repair of outlook
    5. Scanpst to fix corrupted PST files (they weren't corrupted)

I have loaded the PST files into my outlook and I can search them, and there is no issues with any other computers in the office, so it is computer specific and not related to the PST file.

Does anyone have any other suggestions short of a full reinstall of windows? I am literally banging my head on the desk...

UPDATE

After more tinkering, I removed Outlook from the Search Index and tried searching for emails within outlook, and it worked... just really slowly. When I added Outlook back into the search index, it stopped working.

Also, searching is working for local drives, just not Outlook

DavePenn, Oct 3, 2019
Thema:

Am I indexing my Outlook Data Files twice?

1. Am I indexing my Outlook Data Files twice? - Similar Threads - indexing Outlook Data

2. Outlook Data File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Outlook Data File: I want to transfer an Outlook data file from an old PC to a new one using a thumb drive. The thumb drive has a 14.5 GB capacity and my Outlook data file is 7,525,192 KB - but the drive won't accept the transfer. How can I reduce the size of an Outlook dat file?...
  3. What is Outlook Data File in Outlook 365

in Microsoft Office and 365
    What is Outlook Data File in Outlook 365: W10 ver, 20H2 I have just switched from Outlook 2010 to 365 and am confused about the appearance of an folder named "Outlook Data File" and "Outook.Pst shown in Outlook. My original three .pst files are still there and Outlook seems to work just fine. Outlook Data File shows...
  4. Microsoft Outlook file is missing in Indexing options

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Microsoft Outlook file is missing in Indexing options: Hi Brink, Iam using windows 10 Home version. My emails in outlook 2016 is to be indexed. My problem with indexing options is that Iam unable to modify and put the folder of Microsoft Outlook in to "Index these location" list. Earlier it was there as per below picture: [img]...
  5. My outlook data files are corrupt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My outlook data files are corrupt: My outlook data files .pst and .ost are corrupted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-outlook-data-files-are-corrupt/84df28c2-a40c-4e7d-81d4-cba9416c9b3e
  6. Outlook Data File cannot be opened

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Outlook Data File cannot be opened: Hi, I have a user running Office 365 Pro Plus version 16.0.11425.20244. Her Outlook gets the message below. I set her up with a new Outlook profile. In 3-4 days the same happens again. Below is a list of steps were have tried that were not successful. 1. I deleted and...
  7. Outlook data file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Outlook data file: How do I recover outlook data file deleted from recycle bin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-data-file/e6c1fd98-e73e-4e9c-bf06-6c2ae8a6537d
  8. Microsoft outlook data file

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft outlook data file: Hi so i was messing around with the "Outlook Data file.pst" because well i was wondering if it was possible to truly back up all the emails that are in my email. Like attachments and everything. No need to resync and i tried using the export function. It didnt' work out...
  9. Outlook data file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook data file: I have more than one data file in Outlook. How to I combine them and return to just the Outlook data file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-data-file/f6791306-702a-406f-8f04-ad859b637a64
  10. Outlook 2007 Index files missing

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2007 Index files missing: Hello. I need help your help with Outlook 2007 running on Windows 10. The problem is that the index files under search options are missing therefore not being able to index. I've tried below mentioned with no luck. Please help as I need to fix this asap. Thank you. Rebuild...