Windows 10: Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana

Discus and support Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there I really LOATHE these voice activated command sets -- we have enough "noisy intrusions" already with people screaming away at the top of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Jan 22, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana

Hi there

I really LOATHE these voice activated command sets -- we have enough "noisy intrusions" already with people screaming away at the top of their voices on mobile phones in public areas or even in open plan offices - people just forget any sort of decent consideration of other people and reasonable etiquette once they start squawking on Mobile phones.

Just think how much worse it's going to be if you get a whole slew of people screaming at their computers "Appontment for Lunch next thur at 13.30" or whatever.

Even on those automated phone systems - they've managed to add this to the torture list of using these -- for example when you phone up say a Bank about a mortgage - you get one of these automated robots requesting you to answer a whole slew of questions like "Is this Your Mortgage" etc. The previous sytem you'd just enter the number and things would progress normally. Why should I have to tell a Robot "YES THIS IS MY MORTGAGE or NO IT'S SOMEONE ELSE's at the top of my voice because the Robot can't understand the diction correctly.

Vocal stuff is fine if say one is partially sighted or handicapped in other ways so that's the only convenient input but for the rest of us - we should be making things QUIETER not adding to the general cacophony of public places and open plan offices.

Besides I might not want people to know I'm making an appointment for Lunch at 13.30 on Thur to use the example given.

I LIKE technology and genuine improvements --I just don't like the whole idea though of this cortana stuff - at least in its proposed form.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 22, 2015
  2. rwb1012 Win User

Am i the only one who thinks this?

It's not designed to play video and it is mad to try. It doesn't make sense to use the RDP virtual display driver (lowest common denominator) instead of pointing a local app at the video source. Using a local video app will give you the best quality video
    at a much lower bandwidth usage.

rwb1012, Jan 22, 2015
  3. Am I the only one who is disappointed ?

Hello,

I use Skype from its earliest versions. I must say I am disappointed each version is less useful than old ones. For example 2 important things you "went backwards" on

• The ability to save conversations/history to file
    • The setting that I can set Skype to automatically load when Win10 starts
    • When new chat came I got no notification except immediate ones, so if I am not in front or I am busy with other things I might ignore messages I got from others. At early versions the Skype symbol at program bar at windows bottom was flushing or being
      bold with number of unread messages etc
    Although I was big fan of Skype, having lost those advantages I am considering "moving" to other applications
    like WhatsApp etc.

Eran2099Eran2099, Jan 22, 2015
  4. GEWB Win User

Well stated! You are not alone.

Cortana is the newest version of Clippy on steriods.

Regards,

5. I am looking forward to getting Cortana, especially as it will sync everything between my devices

However, I wont be speaking to it, I will use typing to enter things, so no spoken respones

paulsalter, Jan 22, 2015
  6. Hi,
    Up until a month ago I didn't even know what cortana was since I'm not a xbox'er
    Could be something to mess with to see what type responses are give *Tongue

But yea from the presentation the "built into windows" part is well something that can't really be removed :/
    At best possibly turned off ?
    But yes cortana will have a hard time speaking with the speakers off which is how I have them most of the time unless playing music,
    Popup are another possibility which I don't like that idea because I hate popup windows asking me stuff
    Feedback app is annoying enough a few times it asked did I find what I was looking for
    I replied no you popped up a distracted me *Tongue
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Jan 22, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    I want to see what it's like first before I can fully decide if I do like it or not. But, like you I would only listen and not talk to it. .. But heck.. a bunny can change it's mind. *Wink

BunnyJ, Jan 22, 2015
  8. Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana

I want to see what it's like first before I can fully decide if I do like it or not. But, like you I would only listen and not talk to it. .. But heck.. a bunny can change it's mind. *Wink If it works like it does on the phone it should work well (currently on the phone it can be disabled, so probably the same in win 10 if not needed)

[youtube]77yCxXc5RcE[/youtube]

paulsalter, Jan 22, 2015
  9. adamf Win User
    Cortana doesn't do anything on my version (9901) nor on previous versions I tested. Have you actually got it to do anything? I can't imagine it will be compulsory to use the voice interface. Assuming it works for you have you tried turning it off?

adamf, Jan 22, 2015
  10. Clippy could be turned disabled. I wonder what sort of computing power Cortana will need to work properly.

alkaufmann, Jan 22, 2015
  11. Dave44 Win User
    in the leaked 9901 builds Cortana could be turned off

Dave44, Jan 22, 2015
  12. Personally, I probably wont use it. I have Siri on my iPhone and I hardly ever use it. They may offer a way to disable Cortana like you can disable Siri.

Jesse Williams, Jan 22, 2015
  13. Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana

I'll be heading for the add remove Windows features to remove it. Computers should be seen and not heard. I don't want it talking over my music except my Weather Watcher program which says the word "DANGER" 10 times when there is a severe weather threat.
    Perhaps some will need it since they have moved all the settings around again......

Indianatone, Jan 22, 2015
  14. Superfly Win User
    Cortana voice commands on a phone in a hands-free enviroment.. like driving ...is great.

Also don't mind it on a PC - though I agree I'll feel silly talking to my PC... the PA capabilities is what I'm keen on though.

Superfly, Jan 22, 2015
  15. LittleJay Win User
    I agree with you 100% mate!!! There is enough noise in this world as is.

LittleJay, Jan 22, 2015
Thema:

1. Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana - Similar Threads - HATES idea Cortana

2. who had the bright idea to make everyone hate windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    who had the bright idea to make everyone hate windows?: This is an extremely old discussion and it is apparent that Microsoft does not care about user experience. Otherwise this would not be complained about constantly on your own forums lmao. It is unfortunate for a paid software to make me angry on a daily basis. STEAM OS is...
  3. who had the bright idea to make everyone hate windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    who had the bright idea to make everyone hate windows?: This is an extremely old discussion and it is apparent that Microsoft does not care about user experience. Otherwise this would not be complained about constantly on your own forums lmao. It is unfortunate for a paid software to make me angry on a daily basis. STEAM OS is...
  4. I hate Cortana

in Cortana
    I hate Cortana: It always searches everything on edge and why must cortana only be for kids https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-hate-cortana/7f4187e2-e6d9-4b50-b6b4-c937ef589384
  5. I hate Cortana

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I hate Cortana: It always searches everything on edge and why must cortana only be for kids https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-hate-cortana/7f4187e2-e6d9-4b50-b6b4-c937ef589384
  6. I hate Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I **** hate cortana

in Cortana
    I **** hate cortana: Cortana is the biggest piece of **** i've ever seen and is not the quality I expect from microsoft. But the biggest kicker is not being able to disable it. I need to **** disable it. Tell me how to disable. I'm **** fed up with all that software gore....
  8. I HATE CORTANA

in Cortana
    I HATE CORTANA: Trust me, I find google's assistant much much better, in fact, every AI is better than this. Everything I say, it searches on Edge. I think, speaking to Cortana is equivalent to performing a voice search in a web browser. "Play some music" - searches on Edge, "What's the...
  9. I hate CORTANA

in Cortana
    I hate CORTANA: Trust me, I find google's assistant much much better, in fact, every AI is better than this. Everything I say, it searches on Edge. I think, speaking to Cortana is equivalent to performing a voice search in a web browser. "Play some music" - searches on Edge, "What's the...
  10. Am I the only one who does not like Microsoft Edge or Bing?

in Browsers and Email
    Am I the only one who does not like Microsoft Edge or Bing?: My new laptop came with Edge. If I uninstall Edge, can I get normal IE back? Also, just how do you sort your favorites alphabetically? Nothing is obvious about this program at all. Much like Bing, I think Edge totally misses the mark (whatever that is). And I never use Bing....