Windows 10: Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana

Discus and support Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Thanks for the replies --looks as if there are plenty of other people too who agree there's too much noise already. Syncing devices is OK... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Jan 22, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana

Hi there

Thanks for the replies --looks as if there are plenty of other people too who agree there's too much noise already. Syncing devices is OK but we've got apps coming out of our "lug -holes" (i.e ears) already for that sort of work.

I'm not disparaging Ms for trying out new things but this is certainly one feature I'll diab;e one way or another - even if means hacking the Registry to do it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 22, 2015

2. Has it been announced that Win 10 Cortana is different to Cortana currently available? which would be odd to have different versions of it

The current Cortana only speaks to you if you speak to it, don't speak to it and it will be silent

paulsalter, Jan 22, 2015
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I only looked at some of the "Sales Spiel" or presentation stuff where the presenters set up the idea of cortana acting as a personal secretary - you could tell it vocally to arrange say an appointment and it would make entries in your calendar.

My whole take on these devices is that people rarely use them in silent mode if there's a vocal part --I'm often almost tempted to sling an AXE into some people's faces when they are working in an open plan office and can't be bothered to turn off the incessant ping sound they get on their phones (or even PC's ) when an email arrives every 2 secs or so or when they can't turn off the clackety keyboard sounds on a PC or Blackberry.

I'm not really that evil -it's just that I can't understand why there is so much lacking of decent manners and respect of other people's space in crowded offices -.

Perhaps I'm too old fashioned. Anyway I'm near retirement so I won't have to put up with it for too much longer.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 22, 2015
  4. Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana

Hi there

I only looked at some of the "Sales Spiel" or presentation stuff where the presenters set up the idea of cortana acting as a personal secretary - you could tell it vocally to arrange say an appointment and it would make entries in your calendar.

My whole take on these devices is that people rarely use them in silent mode if there's a vocal part --I'm often almost tempted to sling an AXE into some people's faces when they are working in an open plan office and can't be bothered to turn off the incessant ping sound they get on their phones (or even PC's ) when an email arrives every 2 secs or so or when they can't turn off the clackety keyboard sounds on a PC or Blackberry.

I'm not really that evil -it's just that I can't understand why there is so much lacking of decent manners and respect of other people's space in crowded offices -.

Perhaps I'm too old fashioned. Anyway I'm near retirement so I won't have to put up with it for too much longer.

Cheers
    jimbo Hi,

If you speak to Cortana and ask to book and appointment it will speak back while you are doing it
    If you type into Cortana to add an appointment you will get the details on screen as it is doing it (nothing spoken)
    same with any other things, speak to it and you get a spoken response, type into it and you get a text response on screen

notifications from Cortana are in the notification centre, visual not spoken

this is how it currently works on the phone, and it can also be totally disabled if needed, I see no reason why the win 10 version would be any different

paulsalter, Jan 22, 2015
  5. adamf Win User
    I am running 9901 and Cortana does nothing. Did I do something wrong? How do I turn it on?

adamf, Jan 22, 2015
  6. Dave44 Win User
    I am running 9901 and Cortana does nothing. Did I do something wrong? How do I turn it on? I am sure you had to have your region settings set to united states for it to work in that build

Dave44, Jan 22, 2015
  7. Charlie Win User
    Well I am excited about it. I have no idea if I will like it or not. No clue as to if I will use it or not. But I am sure that I will need to know how to fix it if it does not work. My friends will be bringing it to me to fix or get rid of or whatever and so I need to know her!*Cool

Charlie, Jan 22, 2015
  8. Superfly Win User

It only works in EN-US installs for current builds, but it's buggy as hell, AFAIK.

Superfly, Jan 22, 2015
  9. groze Win User
    I agree *Thumbs

groze, Jan 22, 2015
  10. strollin Win User
    I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate the idea of Cortana, I'm just not excited about it. Maybe after I've actually tried it I will feel differently but I've tried both Siri and Ask Google and have been totally underwhelmed by them so I expect Cortana to be more of the same. More of a cute parlor trick than a useful tool.

strollin, Jan 22, 2015
  11. badrobot Win User
    Cortana will probably be only useful for me in a car. Can't imagine myself talking to an object in public.

badrobot, Jan 22, 2015
  12. Geneo Win User
    It requires you to switch over to a Microsft account login. No thanks. At least you can turn it off.

Geneo, Jan 23, 2015
  13. rvbfan Win User

Ya. Still not much of a fan of the Microsoft account part but that may change in the future.

rvbfan, Jan 23, 2015
  14. kenC Win User
    I not only don't want Cortana - I don't want MS auto-correcting my pictures or putting them and my music into albums. I suppose all these things can be turned off but why are they even working on them ?
    I didn't see anything in the presentation that I would call 'awesome' except maybe the holograms but they're not going to be around for a while - looks like I'm sticking with W7 for some time yet.

15. It's worse when the person at the other end can't understand the caller.
    The caller starts yelling even louder into their phone (as if that would make things better).

A couple of weeks ago I heard someone outside my house.
    I thought that it must be someone about to knock on my front door (e.g. a salesman).
    When I looked outside, it was a guy standing across the street yelling into his phone!

I'm downloading the new ISO now.
    When Cortana responds to a query, does an image of a sexy futuristic girl appear on your screen?

I regularly verbally abuse my PC. *Biggrin

lehnerus2000, Jan 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana - Similar Threads - HATES idea Cortana

2. who had the bright idea to make everyone hate windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    who had the bright idea to make everyone hate windows?: This is an extremely old discussion and it is apparent that Microsoft does not care about user experience. Otherwise this would not be complained about constantly on your own forums lmao. It is unfortunate for a paid software to make me angry on a daily basis. STEAM OS is...
  3. who had the bright idea to make everyone hate windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    who had the bright idea to make everyone hate windows?: This is an extremely old discussion and it is apparent that Microsoft does not care about user experience. Otherwise this would not be complained about constantly on your own forums lmao. It is unfortunate for a paid software to make me angry on a daily basis. STEAM OS is...
  4. I hate Cortana

in Cortana
    I hate Cortana: It always searches everything on edge and why must cortana only be for kids https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-hate-cortana/7f4187e2-e6d9-4b50-b6b4-c937ef589384
  5. I hate Cortana

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I hate Cortana: It always searches everything on edge and why must cortana only be for kids https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-hate-cortana/7f4187e2-e6d9-4b50-b6b4-c937ef589384
  6. I hate Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I **** hate cortana

in Cortana
    I **** hate cortana: Cortana is the biggest piece of **** i've ever seen and is not the quality I expect from microsoft. But the biggest kicker is not being able to disable it. I need to **** disable it. Tell me how to disable. I'm **** fed up with all that software gore....
  8. I HATE CORTANA

in Cortana
    I HATE CORTANA: Trust me, I find google's assistant much much better, in fact, every AI is better than this. Everything I say, it searches on Edge. I think, speaking to Cortana is equivalent to performing a voice search in a web browser. "Play some music" - searches on Edge, "What's the...
  9. I hate CORTANA

in Cortana
    I hate CORTANA: Trust me, I find google's assistant much much better, in fact, every AI is better than this. Everything I say, it searches on Edge. I think, speaking to Cortana is equivalent to performing a voice search in a web browser. "Play some music" - searches on Edge, "What's the...
  10. Am I the only one who does not like Microsoft Edge or Bing?

in Browsers and Email
    Am I the only one who does not like Microsoft Edge or Bing?: My new laptop came with Edge. If I uninstall Edge, can I get normal IE back? Also, just how do you sort your favorites alphabetically? Nothing is obvious about this program at all. Much like Bing, I think Edge totally misses the mark (whatever that is). And I never use Bing....