Windows 10: Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana

Discus and support Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've always liked the idea of an interface that accepts voice rather than typed commands, and so the idea of Cortana appeals to me. She's dumber than a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana

I've always liked the idea of an interface that accepts voice rather than typed commands, and so the idea of Cortana appeals to me. She's dumber than a sack of hammers right now, but she'll evolve. In a few year it'll be...

out with the old...

Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana [​IMG]

...and in with the new.

Axle Grease, Jan 23, 2015
  2. dmex Win User

For me Cortana is a very slow way of getting stuff done and more of a flashy gimmick...

Cortana is entirely server-side and only requires an Internet connection to function (the same as Apple Siri) *Wink

3. groze Win User
    Axle Grease

I am not sure about the last picture, reminds to much of the evil Hal in space odyssey.

Cortana is entirely server-side and only requires an Internet connection to function (the same as Apple Siri) *Wink Dmex,
    I wonder how much data that will use. Some isp have bandwidth limits.

groze, Jan 23, 2015
  4. dmex Win User

Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana

I'm not actually sure about bandwidth usage since I never use it...

I've have Cortana on my phone for a few months now with the DevPreview app for my WP - I reset the counters and performed some voice searches and it barely used 1MB of network data but realworld usage might be higher (more so with telemetry enabled) *Confused

5. You might be...

Which is why Cortana works with text input just as well. You don't have to say anything, just send her a text to remind you about something.

I think it's silly to already want to disable it without even trying it out, even then Cortana isn't about voice input, it's about personalizing content just for you. I have my local news, national news, Seahawks updates and a few other things Cortana tells me about. It's almost like a live tile with personalized live tile information.

Cortana doesn't require local processing power like speech recognition does, it's all internet backend stuff. Also, the speech recognition Cortana has is rather impressive, LOADS better than ios or android.

Coke Robot, Jan 23, 2015
  6. Cortana does require a Microsoft account for login which I like others don't want that type of connection,
    Feedback already asked why I didn't use a Microsoft account,
    Simply stated My world and that's my preferance to save a little bit of resources and popup messages.... *Wink
    I'm more interested in My Programs not Microsoft's apps.

I was never a fan of Messengers they are unneeded for me on a computer the ones I want go to my cell so anything else is erelevent.
    Same can be said for two stage verification = first stage also goes to cell so why would I need another going to cell *Confused
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Jan 23, 2015
  7. jssc Win User
    Jimbo, I agree with you on the subject of noise. Also, I detest talking to machines (despite having been a techie for my entire working life). And Win10 is already too intrusive. If this integrative search system were capable of running in private, maybe. But deliberately share my data with MS? I don't think so. I have been hunting down snoopy parts and shutting them off. I want a processing engine and web portal, not an integrated piece of MSs data world.

8. Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana

Thus far, I've been able to resist setting up a Microsoft account. I've read that when you set one up, you need to use it to log into your P.C.. I don't log into my P.C.. I just start it up..or wake it up...and it's ready to go in a minute or two. Would hate to have to log in using a M.Soft or any other Username/Password. Lord knows we have enough of those on a daily basis.

That being said, I'm also reading good reviews on Cortana. I use Google Search on my Android. Speaking to it, instead of pecking keys, is a wonderful time saver. I'd like to do the same here on this home P.C., but having to login to my P.C. using a Microsoft account for that privilege is a deal breaker. I hope Microsoft will change this policy, or some smart person will come up with, and post a hack to get around this.
    ac

AllenChicago, Sep 21, 2015
  9. Dch48 Win User
    I think it's useless on a desktop PC but I can see the convenience of it on Windows phones. My tablet has Google voice but I've only used it a couple of times. Cortana is disabled on this PC. I wouldn't go so far to say I hate it and hate the idea of it since I can see where it could be useful.

Dch48, Sep 21, 2015
  10. Dch48 Win User
    You can set Windows to automatically log in with your MS account. That how I do it. The account does have it's advantages such as synching with other devices on the network and some apps need the account to work properly. When set up right, it's no hassle at all. I would never even consider logging in any other way.

Dch48, Sep 21, 2015
  11. Apparently in the next major Windows 10 update, you will be able to use Cortana with a local account.

Cornishman, Sep 21, 2015
  12. tinmar49 Win User
    Like I said on another thread, I don't have a microphone and I shan't be getting one.

tinmar49, Sep 22, 2015
  13. DHolm Win User

I tried it a few times to see what it is all about. I do not play any games like halo and I just type and use my mouse. If I could open and run my programs then maybe.

DHolm, Sep 23, 2015
  14. DRFP Win User
    I don't use SIRI on my Iphone so I am not using this one either

15. Berton Win User
    Don't know yet about Cortana, haven't had time to 'play' with it. Same with Edge [Firefox is great on Win10]. I'm doing the 12th and 13th Upgrade now, love it when clients get infections and I can clean them up and Upgrade afterward for them.

Berton, Sep 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Am I the only one who HATES the idea of Cortana - Similar Threads - HATES idea Cortana

2. who had the bright idea to make everyone hate windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    who had the bright idea to make everyone hate windows?: This is an extremely old discussion and it is apparent that Microsoft does not care about user experience. Otherwise this would not be complained about constantly on your own forums lmao. It is unfortunate for a paid software to make me angry on a daily basis. STEAM OS is...
  3. who had the bright idea to make everyone hate windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    who had the bright idea to make everyone hate windows?: This is an extremely old discussion and it is apparent that Microsoft does not care about user experience. Otherwise this would not be complained about constantly on your own forums lmao. It is unfortunate for a paid software to make me angry on a daily basis. STEAM OS is...
  4. I hate Cortana

in Cortana
    I hate Cortana: It always searches everything on edge and why must cortana only be for kids https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-hate-cortana/7f4187e2-e6d9-4b50-b6b4-c937ef589384
  5. I hate Cortana

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I hate Cortana: It always searches everything on edge and why must cortana only be for kids https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-hate-cortana/7f4187e2-e6d9-4b50-b6b4-c937ef589384
  6. I hate Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I **** hate cortana

in Cortana
    I **** hate cortana: Cortana is the biggest piece of **** i've ever seen and is not the quality I expect from microsoft. But the biggest kicker is not being able to disable it. I need to **** disable it. Tell me how to disable. I'm **** fed up with all that software gore....
  8. I HATE CORTANA

in Cortana
    I HATE CORTANA: Trust me, I find google's assistant much much better, in fact, every AI is better than this. Everything I say, it searches on Edge. I think, speaking to Cortana is equivalent to performing a voice search in a web browser. "Play some music" - searches on Edge, "What's the...
  9. I hate CORTANA

in Cortana
    I hate CORTANA: Trust me, I find google's assistant much much better, in fact, every AI is better than this. Everything I say, it searches on Edge. I think, speaking to Cortana is equivalent to performing a voice search in a web browser. "Play some music" - searches on Edge, "What's the...
  10. Am I the only one who does not like Microsoft Edge or Bing?

in Browsers and Email
    Am I the only one who does not like Microsoft Edge or Bing?: My new laptop came with Edge. If I uninstall Edge, can I get normal IE back? Also, just how do you sort your favorites alphabetically? Nothing is obvious about this program at all. Much like Bing, I think Edge totally misses the mark (whatever that is). And I never use Bing....