Windows 10: Amazon Fire TV - KODI is TOPS, VLC is BROKEN (latest update)

Discus and support Amazon Fire TV - KODI is TOPS, VLC is BROKEN (latest update) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there If you have the amazon fire stick or the TV box sideload KODI - simple to do it and can be done from your phone as the amazon devices are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Mar 24, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Amazon Fire TV - KODI is TOPS, VLC is BROKEN (latest update)

Hi there

If you have the amazon fire stick or the TV box sideload KODI - simple to do it and can be done from your phone as the amazon devices are android.

An advantage also is that KODI can play DVD iso files from HDD iso images directly - the handset also handles menu's etc and nothing is mounted on the remote computer.

VLC was my favourite until the amazon update - it's BROKEN now - there's no method any more of browsing to choose external subtitles. Kodi works PERFECTLY and even plays things like .mts directly - stuff I've saved to HDD from a SKY Q box via video capture device) and also any sort of audio.

If you use VLC on your amazon device and you like subtitles DO NOT UPDATE !!!! or switch to Kodi.

If buying a new smart TV I'd suggest buying a model that uses Android so you can sideload apps without needing an amazon firestick -- SAMSUNG smart TV's have their own OS so it's not possible to install anything on those unfortunately.

SONY works fine as does any TV using Android.

The newer LG and Samsung models have their own OS unfortunately so you will have to use a device like Amazon fire TV / stick if you want to run Kodi.

Kodi BTW avoids all sorts of transcoding compared with say PLEX. Plex though is supported directly on a few Smart TV platforms.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 24, 2017

2. Wireless Continuum on Lumia 950XL does not find Amazon FireTv 2nd gen

I am trying to use Wireless screen display using Continuum feature (Miracast) between Lumia 950XL and Amazon Fire TV 2nd Gen, however it is not working for me.

I have bluetooth turned ON on my phone and Fire tv is in display mirroring page but the phone never lists my fire tv under bluetooth discovery page as well as continuum page so I can never initiate mirroring.

my phone has latest firmware MICROSOFTMDG update.

vaibhav_choudhari, Mar 24, 2017
  3. RabiHamsi Win User
    how to mirror windows 10 tablet to amazon fire tv?

it does NOT find the Amazon Fire TV.

(have you try it yourself?)

As of now, no one on the Internet is able to mirror a Windows 10 machine to Amazon Fire TV .

if you do please let me know *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

RabiHamsi, Mar 24, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

I had to uninstall Kodi after last update, it just don't work any more. I have misplaced or deleted earlier version that worked. This one is just forever looking for something but actually doing nothing, no disk, internet, RAM or CPU activity.

CountMike, Mar 24, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @CountMike

Install Kodi V17.1 (Krypton) on your PHONE first --then simply install to Amazon Fire TV / stick via Apps2Fire application on the phone -- it will install on the Firestick over the network.

I'm not sure what Kodi version you are running but mine works 100% beautifully on the Firestick. Picks up media from TWO remote servers I have with no probs whatsoever.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 24, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    I'm running Kodi on the PC. Desktop edition behaves like I described and APP fails to play anything. Haven't tried on the phone yet (Lumia 640)

CountMike, Mar 24, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@CountMike

I don't know anything about the PC app as I rarely watch multi-media on a PC but usually at a smart TV. So I was concerned only with the Android version.

For a PC VLC probably still is the best though.

A nice thing about the android app is that you don't need the remote PC's to start any servers so long as the file shares are available (I'm using SAMBA on the computers).

How to Sideload Android Apps onto Your Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Amazon Fire TV - KODI is TOPS, VLC is BROKEN (latest update) - Similar Threads - Amazon Fire KODI

2. Amazon Fire TV

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Amazon Fire TV: Hi everybody, If I mirror from W10 to the TV to see a movie after a short time the video from the TV freezes, I specify that if I do the same mirroring with an iPhone the problem does not exist. I tried to disable the windows firewall and avast antivirus but without success,...
  3. Amazon Fire Stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Amazon Fire Stick: I had to disconnect and then re-connect my Amazon Firestick from my TV. Now, it cannot connect to the network no matter what I do. Has anyone had this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amazon-fire-stick/5ec8732e-2b85-4e47-a1f3-17fd1f2bed31
  4. Amazon Fire Stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Amazon Fire Stick: Why is my amazon fire stick not connecting to my laptop when plugged in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/amazon-fire-stick/71adb501-c3ac-44e1-9638-1654c1fc66d2
  5. Andoid phone users - install KODI on Amazon Fire TV box / stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Andoid phone users - install KODI on Amazon Fire TV box / stick: Hi folks This method can install KODI on to an amazon fire TV stick / box simply by using an andoid phone or tablet. Kodi is a very useful application to have installed on an amazon fire tv box / stick as as well as being useful for all sorts of audio / video playback it...
  6. Kodi Client - Android / Amazon Fire TV/stick - Direct play of DVD ISO

Kodi Client - Android / Amazon Fire TV/stick - Direct play of DVD ISO: Hi folks If you have a Kodi client on an Android device or an Amazon Fire TV / stick device you can play DVD ISO's directly and the handset will control Menu selections etc from the DVD main Menu. This is great if you want to "retire" old physical DVD's without having...
  7. Warning Amazon Fire TV / Fire stick users DO NOT UPDATE VLC

Warning Amazon Fire TV / Fire stick users DO NOT UPDATE VLC: Hi there I know Amazon fire stick / fire TV is popular -- but if you use VLC for playing media from a NAS server / PC on to your remote TV using the Amazon fire stick / TV app DO NOT UPDATE (on the amazon device) to the latest version. Nothing wrong of course with VLC on a...
  8. VLC on Amazon Fire TV box or stick Subtitles stored where ?

VLC on Amazon Fire TV box or stick Subtitles stored where ?: Hi there I like the VLC app on the Amazon Fire TV box or stick -- When playing from your LAN (NAS etc accessed via Browse) there's a facility to Download subtitles - for quite a few ripped movies / TV series it manages to find the subtitles but I haven't a clue where it...
  9. Amazon Fire TV re-visited

Amazon Fire TV re-visited: Hi there I've found the BOX (2nd Gen) absolutely fine Extra features with VLC I only discovered the other day 1) Will attempt to find and download subtitles wherever possible -- gives me a good success rate -- can download in a variety of languages. 2) Will play...
  10. VLC on Amazon Fire TV --No transcoding now at all !! Great

VLC on Amazon Fire TV --No transcoding now at all !! Great: Hi there Normally I use PLEX but if I'm streaming HEVC X265 with subtitles (ASS --other subtitles such as .SRT, PGS etc are OK) - Plex will transcode which sometimes can cause interruptions in playback ("Server not powerful enough to transcode ...."). Doesn't always happen...