Windows 10: Amazon Fire TV re-visited

Discus and support Amazon Fire TV re-visited in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there I've found the BOX (2nd Gen) absolutely fine Extra features with VLC I only discovered the other day 1) Will attempt to find and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Nov 6, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Amazon Fire TV re-visited

Hi there

I've found the BOX (2nd Gen) absolutely fine

Extra features with VLC I only discovered the other day

1) Will attempt to find and download subtitles wherever possible -- gives me a good success rate -- can download in a variety of languages.

2) Will play ISO directly if the ISO files are stored on HDD on your LAN.

Quad processor in the box (Gen 2 version) so transcoding if required is not a problem at all even on a not very powerful NAS.

Amazon have got this right IMO.

One tiny niggle -- No optical output --but with a decent HDMI splitter you can direct optical output to a Cinema amplifier / surround - or you can use the optical out on you TV if it has one. Personally A typical TV with a standard Soundbar works just fine -- I'm not turning my living room into Old Trafford Stadium !!!!!. (Man Utd's home ground).

Obviously VLC / Amazon Fire TV box is a single user application so things like PLEX are great for serving multiple locations / TV's etc but in a lot of cases if you have the fire TV box then VLC works better than PLEX which also can be run on the Fire TV box.

II would love PLEX users to petition PLEX to make DO NOT TRANSCODE an option in the settings -- it's not always obvious in PLEX to find ways of minimizing transcoding --even some AVI files can get transcoded at times (but in that case CPU load is fairly small--unlike larger HEVC X265 codecs). You shouldn't need an i7 to run a NAS server !!!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 6, 2016
  2. RabiHamsi Win User

how to mirror windows 10 tablet to amazon fire tv?

it does NOT find the Amazon Fire TV.

(have you try it yourself?)

As of now, no one on the Internet is able to mirror a Windows 10 machine to Amazon Fire TV .

if you do please let me know *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

RabiHamsi, Nov 6, 2016
  3. ScottUH1 Win User
    unknown network device

This happens on my network too. full_ford appears in network devices.

I believe this could be a smart TV with Amazon Video installed. Amazon Video emulates an Amazon Tablet, Fire TV/Stick apparently.

ScottUH1, Nov 6, 2016
  4. Amazon Fire TV re-visited

Not used the Android/Fire version of the App, but have used a few of the others

Look in the video settings for Direct Play, if you set this to forced it will never transcode, usually set to Auto, so the server decides what it thinks the device can play

paulsalter, Nov 6, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi @paulsalter

Unfortunately if you have ASS subtitles or AVI files it will transcode -- normally transcoding isn't a problem even with a low powered NAS -- However once you start using HEVC X265 then all bets are off !!! -- 720p works fine on HEVC X265 but once you start upping the resolution --then that's where problems start.

A much larger file of the same resolution (1080p) with same subtitles (ASS) with X264 MKV format works perfectly even on low powered NAS'es.

A lot of transcoding is done at times but often the user won't realize it's being done.

Direct play is of course fine but all sorts of other settings get into the mix which is why I'd really love to see an optional setting on PLEX - DON'T TRANSCODE and let the target device do the transcoding if required.

I like the idea of small file sizes with HEVC / X265 especially with 4K and 8K video around the corner --and if the transcoding can be done on the target device then why not let that do it instead of loading up the NAS server --these servers by design have lower power CPU's etc to minimize power consumption and allow them to run cheaply 7 days a week for months on end without any user intervention.

The Amazon fire TV box with PLEX is quite informative --if you enable the background text it will display the file you are streaming, whether it's direct play of audio / video and if transcoding the reason it's transcoding --very helpful info. !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Amazon Fire TV re-visited

1. Amazon Fire TV re-visited - Similar Threads - Amazon Fire visited

2. Amazon Fire TV

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Amazon Fire TV: Hi everybody, If I mirror from W10 to the TV to see a movie after a short time the video from the TV freezes, I specify that if I do the same mirroring with an iPhone the problem does not exist. I tried to disable the windows firewall and avast antivirus but without success,...
  3. Amazon Fire Stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Amazon Fire Stick: I had to disconnect and then re-connect my Amazon Firestick from my TV. Now, it cannot connect to the network no matter what I do. Has anyone had this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amazon-fire-stick/5ec8732e-2b85-4e47-a1f3-17fd1f2bed31
  4. Amazon Fire Stick

Amazon Fire Stick: Why is my amazon fire stick not connecting to my laptop when plugged in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/amazon-fire-stick/71adb501-c3ac-44e1-9638-1654c1fc66d2
  5. Restoring old apps / sideloading apps to Amazon fire TV / stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring old apps / sideloading apps to Amazon fire TV / stick: Hi there. I had a problem recently with an updated version of VLC on Amazon fire TV -- was really bad compared with previous version -- especially if you like / use subtitles as the feature to load the subtitle from an external file when playing your own media has GONE...
  6. Amazon Fire TV - KODI is TOPS, VLC is BROKEN (latest update)

Amazon Fire TV - KODI is TOPS, VLC is BROKEN (latest update): Hi there If you have the amazon fire stick or the TV box sideload KODI - simple to do it and can be done from your phone as the amazon devices are android. An advantage also is that KODI can play DVD iso files from HDD iso images directly - the handset also handles...
  7. Warning Amazon Fire TV / Fire stick users DO NOT UPDATE VLC

Warning Amazon Fire TV / Fire stick users DO NOT UPDATE VLC: Hi there I know Amazon fire stick / fire TV is popular -- but if you use VLC for playing media from a NAS server / PC on to your remote TV using the Amazon fire stick / TV app DO NOT UPDATE (on the amazon device) to the latest version. Nothing wrong of course with VLC on a...
  8. Amazon Fire TV USB stick - PLEX media server

Amazon Fire TV USB stick - PLEX media server: Hi there. Does anybody know if the Amazon Fire TV usb stick will allow the PLEX media server to stream movies from your computer to the TV. I was thinking of getting one of these to use in a "Non smart" but USB capable TV. I can have PLEX running on the computer so can...
  9. Amazon Fire TV - voice controller to be used for SKYPE possible

Amazon Fire TV - voice controller to be used for SKYPE possible: Hi there was wondering if it's possible to use the voice controller on the Amazon fire TV box / stick as a microphone to make / receive skype calls. As it's (the Amazon fire TV box) an android device installing SKYPE on it isn't a problem and you can use the controller to...
  10. VLC on Amazon Fire TV --No transcoding now at all !! Great

VLC on Amazon Fire TV --No transcoding now at all !! Great: Hi there Normally I use PLEX but if I'm streaming HEVC X265 with subtitles (ASS --other subtitles such as .SRT, PGS etc are OK) - Plex will transcode which sometimes can cause interruptions in playback ("Server not powerful enough to transcode ...."). Doesn't always happen...