Windows 10: AMD bugs and glitches break OS

Discus and support AMD bugs and glitches break OS in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I swear my computers have both just decided to completely fall apart in the past two weeks, and I'm getting tired of it. So I started getting that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by 5thman, Feb 3, 2017.

1. 5thman Win User

AMD bugs and glitches break OS

I swear my computers have both just decided to completely fall apart in the past two weeks, and I'm getting tired of it.

So I started getting that wonderful "hardware settings have changed, restart for changes to take effect" popup message for no reason, which I read has to do with AMD graphics software being utter crap all of a sudden. I read that the fix was to uninstall all AMD software and install an older version of the driver, which I did. The message persisted, as did the random graphical glitches such as my windows 10 display randomly blinking, or the fun event of today, the os simply freezing and refusing to refresh, where I had to hard reset. I don't know how to fix this so it doesn't happen again.

It's the same laptop as this thread. Do I need to post the usual info in the OP of this thread? Will it make a difference?

:)

5thman, Feb 3, 2017
  2. LanEvoIX Win User

WINDOWS UPGRADE

Hi, I'm thinking of reserving the free upgrade of Windows 10. However, I'm still hesitant cos' of some questions:

1.) What will happen on July 29? Will the upgrade be automatically initiated, or after downloading stuff, we still have the option to upgrade the OS whenever we want to?

2.) We all know that bugs and glitches are inevitable especially on newly-unveiled software. (Considering that I had not installed the OS)What if the software had bugs and glitches(let's say from technology website reviews, etc.), what will happen? Will we
    automatically receive windows 10 updates for bug fixes even though we still hadn't installed the OS, but we had the software for installation?

LanEvoIX, Feb 3, 2017
  3. Nokia N91

The bugs are all over the place not just with the network specific apps. The s60 OS is riddled with problems and glitches. Would say the problems which cause severe phone failure are the network specific ones, the general s60 bugs are less dramatic but
    still very annoying.

Dan

danielwest---01, Feb 3, 2017
  4. AMD bugs and glitches break OS

Yikes !!

First please confirm you have your data backed up, created a restore point and a recent Image of your system. I would also recommend you have bootable media should you get in trouble. I don't expect you will need any of this but better safe than sorry.

Next, I think you have to take control of driver updates if you haven't already. Very few if any need the latest and greatest drivers. So....

Windows + R keys
    Enter Sysdm.cpl
    Click on Hardware tab
    Click on Device Installation Settings
    Click on No
    A menu appears (first time) click Never Install driver software.
    You may get a warning. Click the option that says I’ll take care of it (not exact words)

The next step may not solve much but I'm beginning to believe it is also a periodic requirement, a complete shutdown of Windows by holding down the shift key and clicking shutdown. This starts a fresh copy of Windows.

Once up lets check your Update history and see if any updates are failing and if any drivers have been delivered in past three weeks. If updates are failing then

Type troubleshooting in the Cortana search bar, troubleshooting appears at top. Click it, window opens, lower right side "Fix problems with Windows Update", click. Window opens, click on “advance”, click on Run as administrator, click “Next”. Should run clean. If not run again.

Check your video driver again. It may be necessary to completely remove all traces of driver and then re-install. You will need tool.

Download Display Driver Uninstaller - MajorGeeks

Post back.

Caledon Ken, Feb 3, 2017
  5. For the record, did you install APU Driver? Windows updates have tendency to install a problematic desktop driver .

TairikuOkami, Feb 3, 2017
  6. Interesting. Just another reason to take control of drivers. Thanks for that information. Will be interesting to see what OP finds.

Caledon Ken, Feb 3, 2017
  7. @ 5thman,

Did you get the video drivers direct from ASUS? As this is a laptop, and OEM drivers are provided by the manufacturer, this would be the preferred place to get your drivers from. OEM laptop manufacturers often modify the hardware used in their machines to optimize things like heat dissipation and performance. It often makes the AMD/ATI drivers (as well as Nvidia) behave erratically.

Gurn Blanston, Feb 3, 2017
  8. 5thman Win User

This is the only failed update since january, which failed twice:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194798)

And yes, the laptop came with the AMD driver. I tried uninstalling it manually and replacing with an older build like another forum suggested, but I still get the glitches and error message sometimes. I currently dont have any AMD software installed according to control panel, but i'll try using the tool you linked and see if that makes a difference.

I also ran the troubleshooter and it found and fixed four problems. We'll see how that affects it now.

5thman, Feb 4, 2017
  9. 5thman Win User
    I cannot BELIEVE this. The display just went black. The screen only displays the mouse cursor; the rest of the screen is black and I can't see or interact with anything, and it doesn't change no matter how many times I hard reboot. This is days after trying the removal tool linked in the thread, and after still getting that same hardware error message.

What the hell is going on with this laptop? I have to use it for my work!

5thman, Feb 7, 2017
  10. TairikuOkami, Feb 7, 2017
  11. Question, I'm not OP.
    @TairikuOkami for my education I've been using the process I posted to Disable driver updates as it is quite reversible should someone have a change of mind and no downloads. (I used the downloads from forum and they are good, so not question that.)

The process in the tutorial actually alters the Registry, Is it doing something the GUI process I posted is not doing?

Caledon Ken, Feb 7, 2017
  12. It is a different one, but it should be doing the same, but some people say it works, some it does not. maybe it depends, if it is Home/Pro. April update will give users the ability to actually change it via Windows Updates, finally.

TairikuOkami, Feb 7, 2017
  13. AMD bugs and glitches break OS

- will the laptop boot into Safe Mode?

BugMeister, Feb 7, 2017
  14. 5thman Win User
    I can't do system restore. I don't have a restore point cos I guess I figured it's a display model, it might already be set up. And anyway all I see is black, so I can't do anything with it, nor can I go into safe mode, like I said.

I'm gonna try to hook it up to another monitor at school and see if it thinks there are two monitors. Maybe then I can just reset windows.

5thman, Feb 8, 2017
  15. CountMike New Member
    Does Ctrl-Alt-Del work ?

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. AMD bugs and glitches break OS - Similar Threads - AMD bugs glitches

2. User Interface glitch/bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Interface glitch/bug: Hi there,I've had a few issues since the Windows 11 update that affect my UI. Sometimes when I close a window it will visually stay open on top of my other windows until I restart my computer or close the program using task manager. Even if it's a pop up from an application I...
  3. KB5030310 and AMD bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5030310 and AMD bug: Since the KB5030310 from Microsoft the AMD software has been completely bugged. Annoyingly, I cannot seem to uninstall any of this mess I didn't want nor needed in the first place. Any AMD driver software glitches, and whenever I try to override it, the system freezes. I'm...
  4. KB5030310 and AMD bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5030310 and AMD bug: Since the KB5030310 from Microsoft the AMD software has been completely bugged. Annoyingly, I cannot seem to uninstall any of this mess I didn't want nor needed in the first place. Any AMD driver software glitches, and whenever I try to override it, the system freezes. I'm...
  5. Start and Taskbar glitch/bug

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start and Taskbar glitch/bug: When I start my laptop this is what I see.. Its not that big of a problem for me but my mother has online classes to teach so it will be hard for her. Can you please help me.. [ATTACH]...
  6. Issues with taskbar bug/glitch

Issues with taskbar bug/glitch: Hello, Within the past month, month and a half, a friend helped me build my first PC. Everything I bought was either brand new or maybe a year or so old in terms of when it was released, but regardless, all of the components are fairly new. After we built it, he installed...
  7. unknown keyboard bug/glitch

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    unknown keyboard bug/glitch: Suddenly certain keyboard keys glitched out.. my "s" and "q" to be exact.. when pressed they either type repeated times or just dont work each press example: hello my name iss nowy...
  8. Strange visual bugs/glitches

Strange visual bugs/glitches: I've been getting really annoying visual bugs/glitches since the 1909 update. The strange thing is, it's not across all programs, it's a select few that have this issue. All of Microsoft Office 2019 has this issue for example, but so does Waves Central and Game Loop. It's a...
  9. Microsoft Store Bug/Glitch

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store Bug/Glitch: Ive been experiencing this glitch for some time now, ive been trying to download the game Forza Horizon 4. I first downloaded the demo to see if the game would be good, the download said that it would be 29GB. I closed my PC went to sleep and woke up again to find that from...
  10. Video Bug/Glitch

in Windows 10 Support
    Video Bug/Glitch: Ever since I've updated to Windows 10, I've had the weird problem with video in some places. Before it was only in the Edge Browser and on Windows Media Player but now it's happening in Chrome as well.. I uploaded screenshots of it because it's kinda hard to explain. When it...