Windows 10: AMD driver timeout/random colour screen crashes and flickering

Discus and support AMD driver timeout/random colour screen crashes and flickering in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello, Recently I have been having this problem where whenever I load up a slightly graphically demanding software such as any game or in some cases... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by AdamTopham22, Jan 10, 2021.

1. AMD driver timeout/random colour screen crashes and flickering

Hello,

Recently I have been having this problem where whenever I load up a slightly graphically demanding software such as any game or in some cases YouTube I have been met with flickering on my screen of any colour which causes my game to crash with this random colour screen displayed.

After this comes a random one of three options:

- I get a BSOD, this sometimes has various details. Most common is 'THREAD DEVICE STUCK IN DRIVER' or something like that.

-It will take me back to my windows screen however I will get a message from AMD which says 'driver timeout' which then asks me to report thiswhich does nothing. However sometimes when on the windows screen my monitor in which it has crashed on is frozen, however my other monitor is not.

- My screen will just go black after this random colour screen, which then turns my monitor off however my computer is on. I am then forced to use the shutdown or reset buttons on my computer.

I have tried to uninstall and re-install many different versions of drivers including most recent many times, uninstalling msi afterburner and tried taking through many steps on YouTube videos and through the internet in which none have worked.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

:)

AdamTopham22, Jan 10, 2021

2. Screen Flickering and Screen Colour Distortion!!!!!!!!1

Hi,

When in normal screen, only desktop wallpaper colour will distorts and has screen flickering. But when i plug in my PC to charge all problem will stop automatically.

Pls suggest any possible solution.

NithinBhat999, Jan 10, 2021
  3. AlanR246 Win User
    Screen flicker and hangup on desktop screen

The short term fix for me was to roll back to Windows 7. I did not have the time to work through the issues but will try again in a week or so. I had a call in to the Microsoft Answer Desk and got a call back after I rolled back. Pasted below are the suggestions
    to attempt find the problem. In my case, I suspect Norton was the culprit since that was the common product on both my desktops and I was not seeing a flicker in Task Manager window.

From the Microsoft Answer Desk:

Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

To start, press this key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If this opens Task Manager and that window is NOT flickering:The likely cause is Software Compatibility issue causing Explorer.exe to crash repeatedly.

• Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to open additional tools as-needed. Be sure to check the box to run tools as Administrator. These could include:

appwiz.cpl: Opens Programs and Features

compmgmt.msc: Opens Computer Management

cmd.exe
    • You can search for crash events in the Event Logs and find if any third party DLLs are the faulting module in the Explorer,.exe crashes Or uninstall software that is likely to include shell extensions.
    • If removing software does not resolve the issue, use these commands to repair Windows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow
    We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    • IDT Audio (faulting module IDTNC64.cpl)
    If Task Manager is flickering, or it didn't open, proceed with display driver troubleshooting:
    The likely cause is a display driver or display hardware issue.

• Boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Use the same steps here as for Black Screen issues - if dual chipset, disable built-in graphics, if still flickers, try with only the other chipset enabled.
    • If this does not work, or there is only a single chipset, uninstall the device and remove the driver software.
    • Then boot into Windows and update the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer.
    Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

AlanR246, Jan 10, 2021
  4. AMD driver timeout/random colour screen crashes and flickering

Nvidia 361.43 screen flicker

Been having some random driver crashes and screen flickers on 361.43. Just wondering if anyone else is having these as a cursory search here on tpu returned nothing.

moproblems99, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

AMD driver timeout/random colour screen crashes and flickering

1. AMD driver timeout/random colour screen crashes and flickering - Similar Threads - AMD driver timeout

2. Weird colour display and flickering screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird colour display and flickering screen: Hello! I’ve been playing a new game recently but the colours look extremely pinkish and bright on my screen. I’ve streamed the game once and it looks normal to my friends but on my end it looks weird so I figured it might be my PC settings. On top of that, my screen keeps...
  3. Weird colour display and flickering screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird colour display and flickering screen: Hello! I’ve been playing a new game recently but the colours look extremely pinkish and bright on my screen. I’ve streamed the game once and it looks normal to my friends but on my end it looks weird so I figured it might be my PC settings. On top of that, my screen keeps...
  4. AMD Driver Timeout Error With a Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AMD Driver Timeout Error With a Second Monitor: Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YxvFNcI just got a driver timeout error message from AMD which doesn't seem good. I tried using a second monitor for the first time on my brand-new 6950XT I got a week ago, so I guess it's an issue with the 2nd monitor or my 6950XT. That...
  5. AMD Driver Timeout Error With a Second Monitor

AMD Driver Timeout Error With a Second Monitor: Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YxvFNcI just got a driver timeout error message from AMD which doesn't seem good. I tried using a second monitor for the first time on my brand-new 6950XT I got a week ago, so I guess it's an issue with the 2nd monitor or my 6950XT. That...
  6. AMD Driver Timeout Error With a Second Monitor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. AMD driver timeout

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD driver timeout: Since driver version 21.5.1 onwards, i have been experiencing driver timeouts , much more frequently with modern or latest drivers Recommended or Optional. Been encountering this with different games like Valorant, fallout, Gta V and Resident evil village. I even used DDU but...
  8. Random Screen Flickering

Random Screen Flickering: Sometimes, my screen will flicker/flash white or black for a split second. This concerns me, and if anyone knows whether this is a bad thing or not, please, let me know. My screen sometimes will flicker: often, when my pc is powering on after a restart or shut down after...
  9. Screen Flickering/Coloured bars

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen Flickering/Coloured bars: I recently purchased and installed an MSI AMD Radeon RX580 8gb Graphics card, and for the past 20 days it has been working fine. However today, when in fullscreen games, random screen glitches have been coming up across all three of my monitors. What is causing this and how...
  10. Random crashing to every kind of colour screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random crashing to every kind of colour screen: Hi guys I'm in desperate need of help! I recently got a new GPU and after I installed it everything was fine for a few days and then my system stability went down the loo when gaming. Now when I launch a game it is only a matter of time until I soft crash to a random block...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rx580 crashing on load screen color