Windows 10: AMD, How to choose the card on which to run a game & on/off Crossfire

Discus and support AMD, How to choose the card on which to run a game & on/off Crossfire in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I don't play often but lately I am making my nephew play. I have a Radeon R5 + a Radeon R6. On my pc I had installed the recommended... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by einstein1969, Aug 1, 2020.

1. AMD, How to choose the card on which to run a game & on/off Crossfire

Hi everyone, I don't play often but lately I am making my nephew play.

I have a Radeon R5 + a Radeon R6.

On my pc I had installed the recommended version of the AMD software: Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2.

But when I was launching a game I used 100% R6 and 5-15% R5.

So I tried to clean up and I put the windows drivers back but the problem persists.

Since the R5 seems more performing I would like to know how I can start the game on the R5 and even if possible to use the crossfire with R5 + R6 with R5 as the most used card.

Or if you recommend the best configuration to have FPS at its maximum.

:)

einstein1969, Aug 1, 2020

2. Windows Update Causing Crossfire Issues

The update Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3147458)
    is causing my AMD crossfire to stop working. I have tested on the games Planetside 2, Skyrim, and Devil May Cry. In all of these games the audio works but the screen is black. Disabling crossfire fixes the issue. All of these games are 32 bit and DX9
    (Planetside 2 current version is 64 bit but was originally 32 bit).

It appears that even being in the install queue breaks crossfire. The only way to fix the issue is to install the update, uninstall the update, and then reinstall AMD drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller.

I've tried reinstalling AMD drivers and resenting/reinstalling Windows but the above is the only way I've found to fix the issue.

Any suggestions for fixing this problem?

Computer Specs:

8Gbs RAM

Gigabyte 990FX Mobo

2x AMD 7870 OC

AMD 8350 OC 4.4Ghz

MichelConn, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Crossfire Video problem

My crossfire AMD Radeon R9-270's was running fine on Win 8.1 but now since update to Win 10 only one card shows and both was running fine on win 8. I plugged in to top card first pci-e on MB(win 8) now only 2nd pci-e bottom card(win10)works and have to plugin VGA or HDMI cords on it for it to show video on screen. Amd Catalyst Control Center doesn't show but one card and does not have crossfire check-box. I tried updating software and even tried beta drivers. Does anyone have suggestions for a fix...I searched here and google and have not found anyone with my type AMD R9 270 problems sure could use some help..... thx

pulled out video card reinstalled it its running and fans running still didn't solve problem

Howiewowie, Aug 1, 2020
  4. Xiltyn Win User

AMD, How to choose the card on which to run a game & on/off Crossfire

Latest Update causing Crossfire issues:

Thanks for the reply
    Billion Debbarma.

Yeah I already cleaned off the old driver, even restarted in safe mode first to do so. Then after restarted again and let the generic drivers run my monitor while installing a fresh newest drivers from amd. This has improved the situation a little but
    as I posted above I'm still seeing these issues in all the listed games.

Device Manager shows the video cards as having the most recent driver and operating properly.

The amd link you provided is exactly where I got the new driver from. The latest is the one I am running now after having cleaned off the old driver in safe mode, and as I said it has improved the situation (less stuttering, little better rendering, etc)
    but the issues are still there just not quite as bad as they were with the old driver. Mechwarrior for instance is actually playable now just not enjoyably with the stuttering that is still happening.

I've even turned off crossfire and tested each video card seperately to rule out that it was a hardware issue. Crossfire on or off doesn't allieviate the issues nor one or the other video cards. Less fps of course without crossfire but that's to be expected.

I don't currently have a freesync monitor or I'd be able to report if that had an effect on these issues or not. Looking at getting one hopefully in the next few days however.

Anyways any other ideas? Any way I can be of help to diagnose what's going on?

Xiltyn, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

AMD, How to choose the card on which to run a game & on/off Crossfire

1. AMD, How to choose the card on which to run a game & on/off Crossfire - Similar Threads - AMD choose card

2. Does Windows 11 support AMD crossfire?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Windows 11 support AMD crossfire?: Does Windows 11 support AMD crossfire? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-windows-11-support-amd-crossfire/73666148-3b6a-4269-8563-ed266899ce90
  3. Does Windows 11 support AMD crossfire?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows 11 support AMD crossfire?: Does Windows 11 support AMD crossfire? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-windows-11-support-amd-crossfire/73666148-3b6a-4269-8563-ed266899ce90
  4. Cannot choose nvidia graphics card instead of AMD for display view

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot choose nvidia graphics card instead of AMD for display view: Hi, i have this problem, i tried to reinstall nvidia graphics driver, i cannot access nvidia control panel when i start it, it only shows license agreement- if so, and then nothing, even in task manager it is not running- sometimes. When i want to manually choose which...
  5. Cannot choose nvidia graphics card instead of AMD for display view

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot choose nvidia graphics card instead of AMD for display view: Hi, i have this problem, i tried to reinstall nvidia graphics driver, i cannot access nvidia control panel when i start it, it only shows license agreement- if so, and then nothing, even in task manager it is not running- sometimes. When i want to manually choose which...
  6. Cannot choose nvidia graphics card instead of AMD for display view

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Running two graphics cards (NVDIA and AMD)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Running two graphics cards (NVDIA and AMD): Hello, I am currently using Windows 10 but I’m wanting to dual boot my pc to have both windows 10 and Linux distro so I can use it for virtualization. Basically, I currently have a 2070 graphics card but I’m wanting to get an AMD 5600 or something to pass through to my...
  8. crossfire issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    crossfire issue: Hello my english isnt the best so ill try to be as clear as i can i have a problem with my crossfire im trying to run two r9 390's it seems to be toggled on in the radeon settings but when i look at the performance monitor it clearly shows only one of the cards working at a...
  9. What Is The Best R9 390 AMD Card To Date For Crossfire ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    What Is The Best R9 390 AMD Card To Date For Crossfire ?: So far after lots of searching I found this one: Sapphire 11247-03-40G Sapphire NITRO R9 FURY graphics card Shop UK : Ballicom.co.uk : Buy Suggestion which match this or greater would be appreciated *Smile 72337
  10. Multiple BSOD, after installing second GPU AMD crossfire,

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Multiple BSOD, after installing second GPU AMD crossfire,: Can anyone walk me through how i should be getting rid of this BSOD..... After i installed my second AMD Radeon 7900 HD Series GPU , and hooked up the crossfire cable and whatnot , i started the PC , went into CCC and enable Crossfire. It went BSOD , so after that i took out...