Windows 10: AMD memory speed issues

Discus and support AMD memory speed issues in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an intel skylark and a simple tester PC Pitstop: Free PC Scans and Tune-up Utilities shows ram speed top 1%. I have an older AMD fx-8350 on an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Roe5685, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Roe5685 Win User

AMD memory speed issues

I have an intel skylark and a simple tester PC Pitstop: Free PC Scans and Tune-up Utilities shows ram speed top 1%.
    I have an older AMD fx-8350 on an Asus Sabertooth R2 board. It runs fine but the ram speed is only top 30%.
    So seeing that the memory was ordinary I purchased brand new memory "2133" . The manual says the board will take up to "2400" so we are fine there. In bios I choose the "2133" profile and booted up. ( I knew to do this from the manual and from this forum. ).
    the machine still works fine but the top ram speed is still only top 30%. In other words the machine recognizes the faster ram but chooses to run it at a lower speed about the same as the lower rated ram I replaced.

And it not any fault the new memory it top end and I tried another batch lower ram speed with same result.

Any advice to get the ram speed up to the recognized "2133" would be appreciated.

Details are: windows 10 new installation on AMD machine fx-8350. MB is Asus Sabertooth FX-8350 R2. The faster ram I just bought is Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM XMP (HX321C11SRK2/16)

the fastest per the pcpitstop test the new "2133" DDR3 ram will run is: 23,032 which equals top 30%. In contrast my Skylake computer runs its DDR4 ram at "48,563".

I need specific intstructions not something vague like "try overclocking."

:)

Roe5685, Jan 14, 2016

2. Memory Clock Speed incorrect in Windows 10

I'm currently having this issue as well. Both Windows 10 Task Manager and AMD Overdrive show 677MHz, however my memory in BIOS is set to 1854MHz. Was Windows 10 only programmed to report the base DRAM speed, rather than the effective/current speed?

AricCanady, Jan 14, 2016
  3. How to increase dedicated video memory

Okay. Your P7-1534 has an MSI MS-7778 motherboard, HP name 'Jasmine'. It has an AMD A75 chipset for socket FM2 processors. Right now it has a factory installed A8-5500 AMD with the Radeon HD-7560D graphics embedded in the CPU. We already established
    512MB of shared main memory is how it is limited. The motherboard can take up to an AMD A10-5800K processor with Radeon HD-7660D graphics built in. It still pulls from the main memory, and the highest memory you can take is 1866 Mhz, up to 16GB and 1600
    Mhz up to 32GB.

For video purposes the graphics processor sees it as 933 Mhz memory. Pretty good for 2013. A tad slow today, and bottlenecked at 512 MB of usable memory and DirectX 11 capable. W10 is capable of DX 12.. To upgrade the processot to get a better onboard
    graphics processor built in is the least bang for the buck and bigger money.

To make that machine shine better would require a total of 16MB of DDR3 memory and pulling the video duties off it by adding a discreet video card with it's own memory. The PCIe card bus on that motherboard is PCIe 2.0 x 16. You'll need a card with 4GB
    of it's own graphics memory, preferably GDDR5, so you'd have more and faster memory than the motherboard has. It will still use some motherboard memory, but for menial tasks, like a shader cache, etc. Since you're using AMD now, for simplicity we'll stay
    with AMD. A good Radeon RX-560 video card with 4GB of GDDR5 graphics memory running at 1176 Mhz and double the bandwidth of 128 bits instead of the 64 bits the motherboard memory runs at will easily handle DirectX 12 and game. The monitor will need to have
    a DVI-D or HMDI port to plug into and a cable to match. It'd run about $129.00 these days.

For the main memory you have four DDR3 slots. HP doesn't say how they configured the memory or the speed of the memory they installed...it could be 4 2GB sticks or 2 4GB sticks of DDR3. In the first case you'd replace the sticks in slots 2 & 4 with 4GB
    of identical speed memory. They all need to be DDR3-1333, 1600, or 1866 Mhz to match. Speed here isn't as big an issue as it would be if it still had to handle video. The good news is that would add up to 12GB of memory. Quite doable. The second option
    is that if HP used 2 4GB sticks, you'd add 2 more, again identical speed and end up with 16GB. Respectable and quite doable. It won't be Alienware, but it'll work mainstream.

Almost forgot, 2 4GB sticks of DDR3 in matching speed will run about $80.00. Any of the major memory makers will help you match them.

fe688fed-fbbc-42a8-9265-19da5cf59a66, Jan 14, 2016
  4. Archie123 Win User

AMD memory speed issues

get this

DOWNLOADING CPU-Z_1.74-EN.EXE | CPUID

click the memory tab and spd tab take two screenshots and post them here

if there is nothing in the spd tab select a differant slot from the drop down menu

Archie123, Jan 14, 2016
  5. Archie123 Win User
    Archie123, Jan 14, 2016
  6. Roe5685 Win User
    thanks hopefully I sent the two pictures but not if you want let me know!

Roe5685, Jan 15, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Nothing showing up. The Skylake CPU's adjust the core speed, based on load. PC Pitstop is nothing but garbage. Really if you are having severe lag with games, that is where you really need to be concerned with a good quality GPU.

bro67, Jan 15, 2016
  8. Archie123 Win User

AMD memory speed issues

nothing there mate use the insert image option at the top of your text input box *Smile
    AMD memory speed issues [​IMG]
    *Wink

Archie123, Jan 15, 2016
  9. Roe5685 Win User
    will try sending again. I agree that PC Pitstop is garbage but we get same scores using other testers.
    the issue is that the PC 2133 not get a better score than lower PC grade.

Roe5685, Jan 15, 2016
  10. Roe5685 Win User
    here is yet another try to get you the info.

Roe5685, Jan 15, 2016
  11. Doverboy Win User
    FWIW, I find it easier to use Alt-PrtScr to capture the screenshots of only the window I want. This will copy the image to your clipboard and then you can simply paste the image(s) into your post...

Doverboy, Jan 15, 2016
  12. bobkn Win User
    CPUz is reporting the memory running at a clock speed of 1070 MHz. It's DDR, so the data rate doubled.

You could try using Sisoft Sandra as a benchmark. (The free version includes the RAM test.)

SiSoft Sandra 2016 download RTM (build 2215)

The video in post #3 is infantile, but the basic fact is that many applications aren't highly sensitive to RAM performance.

bobkn, Jan 15, 2016
  13. Roe5685 Win User

AMD memory speed issues

here is the best I could do using your alt print screen method.
    thank you for teaching it to me.

To repeat everything works well but the memory is no faster as reported from tests with the new 2133 mem than with the old 1600 mem. maybe I should just return the new memory?
    If you look at two screen shots the one on right shows the profile xmp 1.3 but yet maximum bandwidth of pc3-12800. why does It not show pc3-2133? Can you explain some of the other numbers? I do not have a clue.
    the object of this exercise is to increase the reported speed in the tests and nothing else as everything works fine.
    Your thoughts please.
    and yes I do not know how to shrink down the font!

Roe5685, Jan 16, 2016
  14. Roe5685 Win User

note that this computer CORRECTLY shows the correct ddr4 2133 not a marked down one like the AMD computer.
    That is the issue. Why does the AMD computer mark it down. The manual says it handles to 2400 and you can see the XMP is mentioned?

Roe5685, Jan 16, 2016
  15. bobkn Win User

The RAM in my machine is DDR4 2666. Notice what CPU-Z reports for it.

The actual operating frequency is:

I don't know why CPU-Z reports the way it does, but the maximum frequency listed appears to be for the highest non-XMP frequency.

I suggest that you stop obsessing over CPU-Z.

bobkn, Jan 16, 2016
Thema:

AMD memory speed issues

1. AMD memory speed issues - Similar Threads - AMD memory speed

2. An issue with speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An issue with speed: Hello,After a short period of working with the laptop, the speed of executing commands becomes very slow. In this situation, when I want to restart the laptop, it takes almost an hour I have an SSD !. I tried many solutions, including changing Windows, but the problem still...
  3. An issue with speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An issue with speed: Hello,After a short period of working with the laptop, the speed of executing commands becomes very slow. In this situation, when I want to restart the laptop, it takes almost an hour I have an SSD !. I tried many solutions, including changing Windows, but the problem still...
  4. AMD driver issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AMD driver issue: So if any other users have had this issue but windows 11 and 10 do this i went back to windows 10 to see if it fixed it but nope but it just started for a month ago and now its sticking around so if you install AMD drivers new windows will roll back to a older one no matter...
  5. CPU speed and memory speed match?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU speed and memory speed match?: Would upgrading to a faster DDR4 increase the speed of processing? CPU: Intel(R) Coffee Lake Pentium(R) Gold G5600 CPU @ 3.90GHz Motherboard: ASRock B360 Pro4 Socket 1151 Memory: 16GB DDR4 KHX2400C 171798
  6. Can’t Hit Memory XMP Speeds On AMD AM4? Try Hard Resetting The EFI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can’t Hit Memory XMP Speeds On AMD AM4? Try Hard Resetting The EFI: I've seen a few posts on AMD boards and XMP memory issues posted here so I thought I'd post this article I ran into while visiting another tech forum. Below is the actual article from TechGage.... Can’t Hit Memory XMP Speeds On AMD AM4? Try Hard Resetting The EFI The...
  7. AMD Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    AMD Issue: AMD will not let me adjust the settings. In further words I just want to get custom resuloutions since my computer is 1366x766 but I really want 1920x1080. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amd-issue/562cb659-ec31-4dd2-a573-7a5072dca9c6
  8. Speed issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Speed issue: I recently updated my Surface Laptop to the latest version of Windows 10 Pro OS 1903 and since that time my computer has stopped working as usual. Both Edge and Outlook take an inordinate amount of time to populate the screens. I'm told this has been reported, but not for the...
  9. speed issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    speed issue: support for speed issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speed-issue/f3c7c8f4-f8cf-49aa-aa31-1c658359cc2f"
  10. Memory Speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Memory Speed: Hi All, Since carrying out a clean install on my Asus G750 laptop the Kingston HyperX 2133mhz memory I have is showing as running at 1600mhz in the task manager. I'm a member on te ROG forum and know that the motherboard can support 2133mhz. I have asked the guys...