Windows 10: AMD memory speed issues

Discus and support AMD memory speed issues in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; thanks for looking at passmark. It confirms the AMD lower than the test Intel. But now why are the two AMD's the same even though one is higher... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Roe5685, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Roe5685 Win User

AMD memory speed issues

thanks for looking at passmark. It confirms the AMD lower than the test Intel.

But now why are the two AMD's the same even though one is higher speed than the other?

Roe5685, Jan 16, 2016

2. I am puzzled about the difference on the results...

I was referring to AMD's next CPU platform, coming this fall.

Coram Daes, Jan 16, 2016
  3. Doverboy Win User
    I agree, yours should be faster... No, I'm not OCing. I'm using my base configuration (stock settings with appropriated boot orders, butup configs, but nothing changed in Tweaker.) Everything is at default except DDR3 1866/2133 set manually.

Maybe it's because my GSkill is 1866 and by increasing to 2133 the voltages are slightly elevated? Just a guess...

I'll see if I can get this RAM up to 2400 and post the MaxMEM results.

Doverboy, Jan 17, 2016
  4. Doverboy Win User

AMD memory speed issues

Setting my 1866 RAM to 2400 would not boot. 2133 is stable and has passed 24 hours of P95 previously with no CPU OC.

I'm thinking your lower MaxMEMM speeds are more to do with other programs and services running while you're performing the test. Before opening any other programs after rebooting, I re-ran MaxMEM at 2133 and the scores were even faster than before. I don't have a whole lot of extras load automatically at startup, but I wouldn't say it's stripped, either.

Also, I have my OS and programs on Samsung 850 EVO, but I don't see how that should impact a RAM test...

Here's the latest test screenshot of MaxMEMM along with the CPUID-reported timings:

AMD memory speed issues [​IMG]

AMD memory speed issues [​IMG]

Getting back to Roe5685, it appears your AMD MaxMEMM scores are right in line with mine. If you're concerned that it isn't hitting as high of a score as you think it should, I'd say it's what you get with AMD DDR3

It looks like Roe's Kingston/Gskill scores are pretty similar as tested. But you're running the Gskill at 1866 and the Kingston at 2133. Try bumping them up individually and test for stability.

While it might be "dated" hardware, I built my system in October (better bang for buck, great system for my needs) and I read that the Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 might have some issues beyond 1866 memory. I did a lot of research before purchasing my RAM and I knew that folks were running up to 2400, I ultimately decided on 1866 for stability concerns. (A decision I now question as it's running fine at 2133.)

We can see that there are definite improvements moving up from 1866 to 2133, but Coram's score at 2400 is irksome.

Coram - I suggest you run the tests at both 2133 and 2400 immediately after a restart and even shut down extra programs/services to see if the scores at 2400 are significantly better. If so, that's great and I might be purchasing different RAM in the future, otherwise it might be a shortcoming of the Mobo hardware...

Doverboy, Jan 17, 2016
  5. Roe5685 Win User
    It would appear that:

AMD memory speed is half that of Intel memory speed i.e. around 15000 versus 30000
    It would appear that while the MB's allow you to set the speed over a wide range up to 2400 that in fact after about 1800 it does not matter. Speed does not meaningfully increase.
    Hence if you have say 1600 memory you are wasting your money purchasing say 2400 memory. It will not increase your memory speed in a meaningful way.
    I know this as I stupidly bought new faster memory which I will return.
    However I am going to do one last test: I am going to using the same memory try different MB settings.
    I want to see how low I can make the setting with out the memory speed decreasing.
    Give me a day or so to find the time to put the working machine through that process.

Roe5685, Jan 18, 2016
  6. Actually, I felt an impact on the comp switching from 1600mhz, to 2400Mhz. Pretty big one at that, I reboot in 32 seconds or less and the response time for many applications has decreased.

Having said that, I have no measurements from 1600Mhz era. So nothing to compare with. I could remedy that, got the old modules, but not sure I think it is worth the trouble.

Coram Daes, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

AMD memory speed issues

1. AMD memory speed issues - Similar Threads - AMD memory speed

2. An issue with speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An issue with speed: Hello,After a short period of working with the laptop, the speed of executing commands becomes very slow. In this situation, when I want to restart the laptop, it takes almost an hour I have an SSD !. I tried many solutions, including changing Windows, but the problem still...
  3. An issue with speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An issue with speed: Hello,After a short period of working with the laptop, the speed of executing commands becomes very slow. In this situation, when I want to restart the laptop, it takes almost an hour I have an SSD !. I tried many solutions, including changing Windows, but the problem still...
  4. AMD driver issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AMD driver issue: So if any other users have had this issue but windows 11 and 10 do this i went back to windows 10 to see if it fixed it but nope but it just started for a month ago and now its sticking around so if you install AMD drivers new windows will roll back to a older one no matter...
  5. CPU speed and memory speed match?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU speed and memory speed match?: Would upgrading to a faster DDR4 increase the speed of processing? CPU: Intel(R) Coffee Lake Pentium(R) Gold G5600 CPU @ 3.90GHz Motherboard: ASRock B360 Pro4 Socket 1151 Memory: 16GB DDR4 KHX2400C 171798
  6. Can’t Hit Memory XMP Speeds On AMD AM4? Try Hard Resetting The EFI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can’t Hit Memory XMP Speeds On AMD AM4? Try Hard Resetting The EFI: I've seen a few posts on AMD boards and XMP memory issues posted here so I thought I'd post this article I ran into while visiting another tech forum. Below is the actual article from TechGage.... Can’t Hit Memory XMP Speeds On AMD AM4? Try Hard Resetting The EFI The...
  7. AMD Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    AMD Issue: AMD will not let me adjust the settings. In further words I just want to get custom resuloutions since my computer is 1366x766 but I really want 1920x1080. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amd-issue/562cb659-ec31-4dd2-a573-7a5072dca9c6
  8. Speed issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Speed issue: I recently updated my Surface Laptop to the latest version of Windows 10 Pro OS 1903 and since that time my computer has stopped working as usual. Both Edge and Outlook take an inordinate amount of time to populate the screens. I'm told this has been reported, but not for the...
  9. speed issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    speed issue: support for speed issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speed-issue/f3c7c8f4-f8cf-49aa-aa31-1c658359cc2f"
  10. Memory Speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Memory Speed: Hi All, Since carrying out a clean install on my Asus G750 laptop the Kingston HyperX 2133mhz memory I have is showing as running at 1600mhz in the task manager. I'm a member on te ROG forum and know that the motherboard can support 2133mhz. I have asked the guys...