Windows 10: AMD working on drivers for Windows 10 preview builds

Discus and support AMD working on drivers for Windows 10 preview builds in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Oh I fully understand that, but with so much extensive testing you'd have thought that drivers that are forced on you on release should at least not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Feb 3, 2015.

1. waltc Win User

AMD working on drivers for Windows 10 preview builds

No crashing here...mine are working very well with Win10x64 and I have a huge software library of games & other applications. In fact, the latest drivers, the 15.7.1's, are the best I've seen from AMD in awhile--both the 15.7's & the 15.7.1's...

As far as updates being forced on you with Win10...that has nothing to do with AMD...it's Microsoft forcing the updates...and unless you've been living under a rock for the last few days, you should have heard about the tool Microsoft released recently to allow you to hide the Win10 updates you don't want...

Also, if you own a laptop, chances are good you cannot use the AMD Mobility drivers with that laptop, because those drivers work with only a handful of products...and probably will not support vendor-specific laptop gpu features like dual GPUs that use Intel gpus to conserve power but "switch" to an AMD GPU to provide enough performance to play games. Support for laptop-specific features like that come *only* from the manufacturer of your particular laptop, and nowhere else. If you bought such a laptop with 8.1 installed and you decide to upgrade to Win10 and your laptop manufacturer doesn't provide Win10 drivers for that particular model--chances are very good that you are screwed, unfortunately, and you might even have to revert to 8.1 until your laptop maker releases Win10 hardware drivers for your model--if he ever does. Unfortunately, most laptop vendors would prefer it if you bought a new laptop with Win10 drivers and OS pre-installed...*Wink

People don't understand that buying a laptop is not at all like buying a desktop. Laptops are often custom-made and because of that require custom-made hardware drivers, whereas desktops are standardized around generic standards that everyone uses. When people buy the same GPUs for desktops off the shelf at Best Buy, for instance, everybody is buying the same card. The exact same card. The card will plug into the exact same PCIe bus slot in every machine, regardless of motherboard manufacturer--and the cards will all work like they should. That's the beauty and wonder of hardware standards--they've made life immeasurably simpler and easier for everyone--unless you buy a laptop. If you own a laptop it is literally potluck as to any expectation that generic AMD Mobility drivers will function as desired. Again, with laptops, best policy is always to get your hardware drivers from the manufacturer of your laptop.

With AMD mobility drivers, the rule is: if the drivers work as expected in your laptop then you are good to go. If the drivers don't work and continuously cause problems for you on a repetitive basis, then you *must* get your GPU drivers from the manufacturer of your laptop model if you want to enjoy any kind of stability. The fact that the particular laptop model that you have elected to purchase uses custom designs is not a "problem" that AMD (or nVidia) can do anything about.

waltc, Jul 29, 2015
  2. waltc Win User

My native resolution is 1920x1200, and I can use either VSRs of 2048x1536 or 2560x1600, but of course I'm going to use the latter...*Wink I've noticed that when you elect to run a game at a VSR that it's best to turn off all other FSAA settings you may have been using in the game when you weren't running a VSR, as the VSR itself is a form of supersampling FSAA--it takes an internal resolution of 2560x1600 in my case and displays it ("downsamples") @ 1920x1200. If you run a VSR & additional FSAA in a game it could well slow you down when you really don't need the extra FSAA settings beyond the VSR you are using. But it's strictly a matter of personal preference, imo.

waltc, Jul 29, 2015
  3. So no one else has had a problem connecting their PC to their TV or another monitor via HDMI with these 15.7.1 drivers?

BrownianMotion, Jul 29, 2015
  4. cognus Win User

I would be SO happy with just one good high performance SATA driver from those clowns...

cognus, Jul 29, 2015
  5. Wynona Win User
    I haven't tried it yet. I've had my Lappy 15.6 connected, but that was with Windows 8.1. Guess I need to check that out.

Wynona, Jul 29, 2015
  6. CountMike New Member
    Me too, I don't know if my MB is at fault or drivers. With old one that had exactly same south bridge, AHCI was working good but now I'm getting SATA2 speeds on new MB. I must have tried dozen drivers and only getting progressively lower speeds.

CountMike, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Yeah, it worked in 8.1 for me too.

That's really the only issue I've had since upgrading to W10. But it's kind of annoying because I watch a lot of movies on my laptop while connected to my TV.

BrownianMotion, Jul 29, 2015
  8. Wynona Win User

I'm not watching movies on my laptop or computer! I have a much nicer larger screen TV for that. *Smile

Before I got the DVD player with Netflix on it, I hooked the laptop to it, but now I don't need to. Still, it would be something to check out, because it's soooooooo much easier to use the keyboard to enter text with.

Wynona, Jul 29, 2015
  9. My problem is that my AMD card on my HTPC will no longer wake from sleep to the HDMI port. I have to do a hard reset every time I wake the computer. The nice thing is that I get a NVidia card from upgrading my niece's son tomorrow from the computer I built for him. This will officially end any AMD products left in the house after I recycle the AMD card (really old card).

John Pombrio, Jul 30, 2015
  10. So far so good. I've been using my laptop for a couple of hours now and no ccc has stopped messages. in CCC, Information, software, shows Driver Packaging version 15.20-150715a-184226E. It's what Windows 10 installed on first boot up after the upgrade. I haven't tried connecting anything via HDMI. It's not something I ever do with my laptop. I run dual displays but my second screen is a USB 3 portable screen. That was a second issue in the past. It uses DiplayLink software to work and wouldn't work in Windows 10, now it does. *Biggrin

alphanumeric, Jul 30, 2015
  11. cognus Win User
    sad as this is, I'm getting benchmark numbers with the generic Microsoft SATA driver that are double what I get with the reco'd [and auto-installed via win updates] AMD driver du jour.
    also watch your CPU util - some of them create traffic in the background. i do not know the mechanism but kill the AMD driver and it goes away.

cognus, Jul 30, 2015
  12. I think the problem I've been having with the 15.7.1 drivers is that they appear to not be HDCP compliant.

BrownianMotion, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. AMD working on drivers for Windows 10 preview builds - Similar Threads - AMD working drivers

2. AMD build in microphone does not work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AMD build in microphone does not work.: I have a new laptop. I installed Windows 11 on it. When I try to use my microphone apps say something like "We can't hear you." or "No audio input source available. The microphone is AMD Audio device. My friend has the same laptop but the microphone works for him....
  3. AMD build in microphone does not work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AMD build in microphone does not work.: I have a new laptop. I installed Windows 11 on it. When I try to use my microphone apps say something like "We can't hear you." or "No audio input source available. The microphone is AMD Audio device. My friend has the same laptop but the microphone works for him....
  4. Amd Radeon 6630m drivers not working on windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Amd Radeon 6630m drivers not working on windows 10: I have installed even Leahcat drivers but they are not working on windows 10 my laptop is Sony vpccb15fg https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amd-radeon-6630m-drivers-not-working-on-windows-10/b46c6666-048c-40bd-bd0f-f65230ecad84
  5. Amd Radeon 6630m drivers not working on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Amd Radeon 6630m drivers not working on windows 10: I have installed even Leahcat drivers but they are not working on windows 10 my laptop is Sony vpccb15fg https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amd-radeon-6630m-drivers-not-working-on-windows-10/b46c6666-048c-40bd-bd0f-f65230ecad84
  6. Amd Radeon 6630m drivers not working on windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. AMD Driver not working at all

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD Driver not working at all: My AMD driver has not been working for a long time and I have given up on all of it. I tried everything restarting PC installing new software and it all seems not to work. Every time I uninstall and install again it install the wrong driver before Giving me bluescreens of all...
  8. AMD GPU Driver Update for Build 10122

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    AMD GPU Driver Update for Build 10122: Updated driver availability for AMD GPU's for Build 10122 was announced about 24 hours ago by Gabe Aul and we are to get it through Windows Update. I have a laptop with 10122 and fast build selected. I have asked to "Check for Update" over a dozen times and it is not found....
  9. Amd Crimson Driver doesnt work on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Amd Crimson Driver doesnt work on Windows 10: Status: Unresolved Computer Type: Desktop PC GPU: Sapphire HD 7970 Dual-x 3gb GDDR5 (factory OC, using single GPU) CPU: Intel Ivy bridge i5 3570k Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA1155 RAM: Kingston Predator 8GB PSU: Corsair TX650M 650w 80Plus Bronze OS: Windows 10...
  10. AMD released new drivers which should work with Windows 10 build 10122

in Windows 10 News
    AMD released new drivers which should work with Windows 10 build 10122: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date 6284