Windows 10: AMD X370 Chipset - NVMe boot device - Driver issue

Discus and support AMD X370 Chipset - NVMe boot device - Driver issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Mostly posting this in case others run into this issue. I have an AMD Ryzen system with an Asus X370 motherboard and two SATA drives in a RAID 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cnenzel, Jun 1, 2019.

1. cnenzel Win User

AMD X370 Chipset - NVMe boot device - Driver issue

Mostly posting this in case others run into this issue.

I have an AMD Ryzen system with an Asus X370 motherboard and two SATA drives in a RAID 1 array booting from a Western Digital NVMe stick

Last night at some point the system - Newly upgraded to Windows 1903 with all available post upgrade patches - that the Standard NVM Express Controller driver wasn't sufficient for the NVMe stick not running RAID mode (disabled in BIOS) and installed the AMD-RAID Bottom Device and AMD-RAID Controller [Storport] drivers for it.

It did this silently. I rebooted to cure a different issue and Windows 10 ended up in a boot loop.

I only realized what actually happened after I restored a Macrium Reflect (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) image of the C: drive (NVMe) from the night before the reboot, opened device manager and saw what it had done.

I don't know of an easy way to figure out which AMD-RAID Bottom Device and AMD-RAID-Controller [Storport] are assigned to which device so I temporarily put the NMVe stick into RAID mode so it would boot and disabled RAID for the remainder of the SATA devices. This let me boot, change the driver back to the Standard NVM Express Controller Driver (because now there is only one AMD-RAID Bottom Device and AMD-RAID-Controller [Storport] listed in device manager) , disable NVMe RAID, enable SATA RAID and resolve the issue.

Whew. Now, if it boot loops again, my first troubleshooting step will be to turn on RAID mode for the NVMe stick and see if that fixes the boot issue... Instead of spending an hour trying to get the system to see the F8 key being spammed so I could select the Reflect recovery USB stick and reimage the NMVe stick...

:)

cnenzel, Jun 1, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Latest AMD Chipset Drivers Released

Latest AMD Crimson Chipset Drivers Released

AMD X370 Chipset - NVMe boot device - Driver issue [​IMG]
    Information WHQL version: 18.10.0830
    Release Date: September 4, 2018

Supports:

Windows® 7/10 for
    • 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
    • 7th-Gen AMD A-Series Processors
    • AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
    • AMD X470 Chipset
    • AMD X370 Chipset
    • AMD B450 Chipset
    • AMD B350 Chipset
    • AMD A320 Chipset
    Windows® 10 only for
    • 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor
    • AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor
    • AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor with Radeon™ Vega Graphics
    • AMD X399 Chipset
    Package Includes:
    • AMD Chipset Drivers
    • AMD Ryzen™ Balanced Power Plan

AMD Chipsets Driver Download

Brink, Jun 1, 2019
  3. Latest AMD Chipset Drivers Released

New AMD X370 Chipset driver: Chipset

Where can i find the release notes btw? Was unable to find them.

hurricane28, Jun 1, 2019
  4. denali Win User

AMD Chipset Drivers and Windows 10

Driver listed is "Standard SATA AHCI Controller".

denali, Jun 1, 2019
Thema:

1. AMD X370 Chipset - NVMe boot device - Driver issue - Similar Threads - AMD X370 Chipset

2. Chipset drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chipset drivers: should i install the last 3 drivers which it contains different names or installing the last one would be enough? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chipset-drivers/940eedf3-3457-40f3-8363-f85be36385a7
  3. AMD driver issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AMD driver issue: So if any other users have had this issue but windows 11 and 10 do this i went back to windows 10 to see if it fixed it but nope but it just started for a month ago and now its sticking around so if you install AMD drivers new windows will roll back to a older one no matter...
  4. I need help with the AMD Chipset Driver.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I need help with the AMD Chipset Driver.: I downloaded AMD Chipset Driver Version 19.30.28 from Asus. Now that it's installed, when I start up my PC I get: [ATTACH] If I click the button then it says Scanning for drive information and then disappears. Here's a list of the drivers: [ATTACH] I want to get rid...
  5. AMD chipset driver

AMD chipset driver: I was wondering what would happen if I installed wrong amd chipset driver an older version then reinstalled to a newer one from the manufacturer’s site? Could it cause problems with drivers and Windows? Thank you...
  6. Amd chipset question

Amd chipset question: So I've got a question about the amd b450 chipset drivers; Should I install it directly from amd? Should I install it directly from MSI (the motherboard I have)? Or should I grab it & install it from both sources when a update is available? 148398
  7. X370 Professional Gaming Audio Driver Issue (Realtek)

X370 Professional Gaming Audio Driver Issue (Realtek): Hello, I am having an issue with audio on my motherboard. I can only hear system sounds play. I have tried uninstalling the Realtek drivers and that has helped and audio does work with the default windows audio driver. But when I try reinstalling Realtek high definition audio...
  8. Drivers for AMD "Hudson" chipset, Zacate

Drivers for AMD "Hudson" chipset, Zacate: anyone here running Win10 on AMD notebook, Zacate family [earlier E series] ? just wondering how many drivers I'll be missing and how to find. I'm wanting to try this on Lenovo Thinkpad X120e 10 is running swell on my A4-3300m based HP G4-1117dx except for onboard...
  9. AMD Chipset Drivers and Windows 10

AMD Chipset Drivers and Windows 10: Recently, due to some hardware failures, I had to replace my motherboard. I also decided to reinstall Windows 10. When I went to install the chipset drivers (16.4.2 Crimson, 64-bit), the only things it wanted to install were graphics related. I can install these...
  10. Latest AMD Chipset Drivers Released

Latest AMD Chipset Drivers Released: Latest AMD Crimson Chipset Drivers Released [img] Information WHQL version: 18.10 Release Date: February 12th 2018 Description: Supports Windows 7/10 for 7th-Gen AMD A-Series Processors AMD Ryzen Desktop Processor AMD X370 Chipset AMD B350 Chipset AMD A320...