Windows 10: Amsi.dll error and cannot open or run any program that requires admin access

Discus and support Amsi.dll error and cannot open or run any program that requires admin access in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi. Recently on startup I have received the error - "C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\amsi.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SarahEMGEE, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Amsi.dll error and cannot open or run any program that requires admin access

Hi.

Recently on startup I have received the error -

"C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\amsi.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc000012f

for AsusBridge.exe

I'm not sure if it's related but I also cannot open or run any file as administrator. All potential solutions I have seen have involved running command line as administrator or downloading Media Creation Tool but I cannot do this.

I am the system admin and there are no other users. Please help.

:)

SarahEMGEE, Jan 28, 2021

2. .dll Files open Windows Photo Viewer - Can I change this?

Hi Wyatt,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What exactly happens when you try to access the pictures on your computer?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Does this issue persists only with the .dll files?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system that might have resulted in this issue?

Try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run SFC scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a
    Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Step 2: Check if the .dll files are set as default under Default programs.

• Press Windows key, type default programs
      and select Default Programs.
    • Click on Set your default programs.
    • Under Programs in the left pane, click on the program you wish to access photos with and click on
      Choose defaults for this program.
    • Under Extensions check if .dll
      is check marked or not. If not, check the box for .dll files.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing photos on your computer for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 28, 2021
  3. Overmind Win User
    A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run

• Update Windows
    • Install latest Windows Installer for your Windows version
    • Update VisualARQ
    • Install the 32 and 64-bit versions of VC++ Redistributable
    • Clean your Appdata\Local\Temp and make sure you have correct access there

Then, run installer as admin (open cmd in admin mode and run msiexec /i PackName.msi) and if it still fails, check InstallLog.txt for details on the exact .dll that causes the error.

Overmind, Jan 28, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Amsi.dll error and cannot open or run any program that requires admin access

running DOS as ADMIN

I suggested that in post #4 but @bromberg doesn't seem to have tried it yet...

Thema:

Amsi.dll error and cannot open or run any program that requires admin access

1. Amsi.dll error and cannot open or run any program that requires admin access - Similar Threads - Amsi dll error

2. Error appearing when opening any program. DLL Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error appearing when opening any program. DLL Error: The error:"The code execution cannot proceed because PSAPI.DLL was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."System:64-bit operating systemWindow's 10I have searched for ton's of things to do and I stumbled on this...
  3. Error appearing when opening any program. DLL Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error appearing when opening any program. DLL Error: The error:"The code execution cannot proceed because PSAPI.DLL was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."System:64-bit operating systemWindow's 10I have searched for ton's of things to do and I stumbled on this...
  4. Error appearing when opening any program. DLL Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Getting a "The device is not ready" error when opening any program that requires admin...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting a "The device is not ready" error when opening any program that requires admin...: Firstly I would like to say, please don't tell me to "upgrade to Windows 10" or that "support for Windows 8.1 is ending", I'm very well aware of that and would upgrade if I could but my laptop doesn't have the specs for it.Now onto my issue, this all started about 2 weeks...
  6. Getting a "The device is not ready" error when opening any program that requires admin...

Getting a "The device is not ready" error when opening any program that requires admin...: Firstly I would like to say, please don't tell me to "upgrade to Windows 10" or that "support for Windows 8.1 is ending", I'm very well aware of that and would upgrade if I could but my laptop doesn't have the specs for it.Now onto my issue, this all started about 2 weeks...
  7. Cannot run any programs that require .Net Framework v4.0 or higher on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot run any programs that require .Net Framework v4.0 or higher on Windows 10: I just recently upgraded my computer and installed Windows 10. Aside from a few growing pains from switching from Windows 7 everything has gone relatively smoothly with the exception of this one issue. For some reason whenever I try to run any program that requires the .Net...
  8. File explorer not openning but cannot find admin password required to run repair programs

File explorer not openning but cannot find admin password required to run repair programs: File explorer no longer opens. Some suggestions from help for fixing the problem i.e. command prompt, require the admin password which I cannot locate - it's an old computer and I'm not even sure I created one. Is there a work around for this so I can run the repairs which...
  9. Cannot run any programs in admin mode and cannot open task manager

Cannot run any programs in admin mode and cannot open task manager: Hi. I have a PC with Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit installed. (Ver. 10.0.17134) Ever since a forceful shutdown due to a freeze, I have been experiencing the following issues: Any program that I try to run on admin mode gives the error:"Windows cannot find...
  10. Windows 10 Applications Error Cannot Open Any Program

Windows 10 Applications Error Cannot Open Any Program: Hey everyone. I left my computer on last night and my monitors OFF and when I went on the computer today as usual.. I then saw the windows 8+ version of Blue Screen of Death with the sad face. I decided to restart my computer and then windows started repairing my C drive...