Windows 10: An alternative to the left control key please!

Discus and support An alternative to the left control key please! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a new HP Pavilion laptop - which so far has one flaw: there is no right hand control key... I am left handed and so I want to use a R/H control... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tommyzulu, Feb 17, 2018.

1. tommyzulu Win User

An alternative to the left control key please!

I have a new HP Pavilion laptop - which so far has one flaw: there is no right hand control key...
    I am left handed and so I want to use a R/H control key when I want to select multiple non adjacent items from a list.
    I have tried to remap one of the keys to the right of my touchpad to facilitiate this but the remapping does not give the functionality of the control key being pressed while the touchpad is used...
    I have spoken to HP Support who were completely useless in this respect. The person I talked to said he only used his laptop on a desk with a mouse so could not help! And he told me that I should talk to Microsoft.
    If anyone has any ideas of workarounds for this I'd be most grateful.
    Thanks in advance...

:)

tommyzulu, Feb 17, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

missing icons

Hi Dave,

Click your Start Button, click the cog on the bottom left to open the new Settings App

Alternatively, press Windows Key + I

To open the old Control Panel, click your Start Button, type control and hit Enter

DaveM121, Feb 17, 2018
  3. Map control key to "left click"?

Why didn't *I* think of that? (yes, that's sarcasm.)

-> Lots of people do not realise that Google can answer countless questions. To avoid the referral, mention in your next post that you found nothing suitable with a Google search.

Found a couple of sites telling you to use "Mousekeys to remap the NumPad", but my tablet kb doesn't have a NumPad.

-> You could use an external mouse if one is required for the remapping process.

Another told me to install sophisticated scripting software. Just to remap one key? I think not.->
    I do a lot of scripting. Most of it is a very long way from sophisticated.

Frederik Long, Feb 17, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

Does Shift/Select work?

Edwin, Feb 17, 2018
  5. tommyzulu Win User
    Shift only works for adjacent items; control is normally help down for non-adjacent items.

tommyzulu, Feb 17, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I've just remapped my right ALT key to act like that to select a number of random items. You can choose any other key that's convenient.

Download and install Autohotkey, and this script - 1 line:
    RAlt::CTRL

Put that in a text file, rename it as .ahk, run it.

(You can create an exe file from an ahk in 1 click)

Examples here:
    Remapping Keys and Buttons

dalchina, Feb 17, 2018
  7. tommyzulu Win User
    Thanks for the idea... I will see if I casn do it!
    Cheers!

tommyzulu, Feb 17, 2018
  8. Edwin New Member

Hmmm..., works for me with mouse or trackpad;
    with trackpad I have to long press/drag select while holding Shift down until all selections are made.

Edwin, Feb 17, 2018
  9. *Thumbs
    AHK is great, so many ways to create a truly Personal Computer
    My Right Alt key is now a Mouse Middle Button, very handy since I never use a mouse.

FrillyBits, Feb 17, 2018
  10. tommyzulu Win User
    Many thanks Dalchina...
    I have managed to remap AltGr::CTRL which works as I wianted and the ahk file is now on my desktop. Can I move this to somewhere else? Will it autostart? Do I now need to make it an .exe file and how do I do this? with 1 click? This is all a little advanced for me! Thanks

tommyzulu, Feb 17, 2018
  11. dalchina New Member
    Rt click the ahk file- you should see an option to compile it.

Put the exe file where you want it, and create a shortcut to it.

Windows key + R, shell:startup
    opens the Startup folder (which is frustratingly not exposed in the Win 10 start menu- another reason for using an alternative as I do)

Move your shortcut there.

Your script should now run on logon.

dalchina, Feb 17, 2018
  12. tommyzulu Win User
    Thank you dalchina; that has done the trick.
    Best wishes

tommyzulu, Feb 17, 2018
  13. dalchina New Member

Thanks- glad it helped

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. An alternative to the left control key please! - Similar Threads - alternative left control

2. Left Control Key Stuck

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left Control Key Stuck: I've looked through several other articles about the same issue where the computer is reacting as if my control ket is being held down. I have tried various methods of shortcuts such as pressing left and right control simultaneously and making sure sticky keys are disabled....
  3. Left Control Key Stuck

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Left Control Key Stuck: I've looked through several other articles about the same issue where the computer is reacting as if my control ket is being held down. I have tried various methods of shortcuts such as pressing left and right control simultaneously and making sure sticky keys are disabled....
  4. tab and left control keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    tab and left control keys: My tab and left control keys on my keyboard aren't working. Many have suggested that Microsoft teams could be interfering but I don't have that on my computer. I have also run the test to see if it's a broken key and that is not the case either. Please help....
  5. tab and left control keys

tab and left control keys: My tab and left control keys on my keyboard aren't working. Many have suggested that Microsoft teams could be interfering but I don't have that on my computer. I have also run the test to see if it's a broken key and that is not the case either. Please help....
  6. tab and left control keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. pressing left control key opens start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pressing left control key opens start menu: As the title says, whenever I press the left control key, it acts like the windows button and opens the start menu. I know that the keyboard isn't the issue because the same problem happens on multiple keyboards on the same computer.I've tried uninstalling the drivers, and...
  8. pressing left control key opens start menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    pressing left control key opens start menu: As the title says, whenever I press the left control key, it acts like the windows button and opens the start menu. I know that the keyboard isn't the issue because the same problem happens on multiple keyboards on the same computer.I've tried uninstalling the drivers, and...
  9. My windows key is left control

My windows key is left control: so i was using my computer today Windows 11 and it was all runing normal but then my windows key stopped working i though maybe if i uninstall my keyboard drivers it would fix it it didnt. i installed my keyboards software and thought something might have been rebound it...
  10. My windows key is left control

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows key is left control: so i was using my computer today Windows 11 and it was all runing normal but then my windows key stopped working i though maybe if i uninstall my keyboard drivers it would fix it it didnt. i installed my keyboards software and thought something might have been rebound it...