Windows 10: An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app

Discus and support An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I did a clean install of Windows 10 and the first app I installed was Google Chrome, and I began experiencing this issue after every restart. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by monumental, Dec 27, 2018.

1. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app

I did a clean install of Windows 10 and the first app I installed was Google Chrome, and I began experiencing this issue after every restart. I've installed other apps since then, all the latest versions and my default apps keep getting reset to the generic Windows options. Any idea how to fix this? I'm using a local profile and have no intention of using a Microsoft account to log in to my computer. This is ridiculously annoying.

:)

monumental, Dec 27, 2018
  2. Molly53 Win User

An app default was reset

In our case,, when we logon to Windows (we have W 10), we see all this:

First, we see "Windows" Next, we see "Preparing Windows," which we did not see before last week.

Then, in the lower right side of the screen we see "An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .htm files, so it was reset to Microsoft Edge." After about 10 seconds, that message is replaced by: "An app default
    was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .html files, so it was reset to Microsoft Edge." After about 10 seconds, that message is replaced by "An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app setting for
    .pdf files, so it was reset to Microsoft Edge." After about 10 seconds, that message is replaced by: "You cannot access your files" with another message about a temporary password (which appears so briefly that I couldn't write it all.

I've read some of the other suggestions for fixing this, but they don't seem to apply in our case.

I'd appreciate a simple solution for this problem.

I have had this problem for two days now and can't find a solution. It's really annoying to have to sign into Firefox & verify my email everytime i swith on. Has anybody found a solution to this?

Molly53, Dec 27, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Default programs repeatedly reset to "MS" programs/apps

I had the same problem.
    Possible causes:
    1. Acrobat preference does not work and if you click on it, it will reset to Windows default acrobat reader with the message:

An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app [​IMG]
    2. If Windows has update for Acrobat reader App, it will reset it to default.

Just set it from Control Panel->Default Programs->Set Your default programs
    High lite Acrobat then click on: Set this program as default.

An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app [​IMG]

topgundcp, Dec 27, 2018
  4. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app

1. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app - Similar Threads - app default was

2. App default was reset

in Windows 10 Customization
    App default was reset: Windows is showing App default was reset again and again , even though no changes were done by me then also it is showing notification as App default was reset https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-default-was-reset/8235d04e-8ce2-4eaa-88d4-d5012b6c5d14
  3. An app default was reset

An app default was reset: A few days ago this message appeared in my notification. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .raw so it was reset to Photos Now start up and sign in are sometime slow/sluggish and sometimes before sign in i get a momentary...
  4. "An App Default was Reset"

"An App Default was Reset": I would like to prevent Win10 from resetting my default apps for a given file extension. Either the chance to approve any changes to my default apps, such as we had in previous Windows versions, or to find the app reset "feature" and break it beyond repair disable it...
  5. default apps problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    default apps problem: After latest upgrade I can not change any default application. Could you help, please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-apps-problem/b2adf23d-9b82-47d2-91f6-8ab67c816dfb
  6. Problem with default apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with default apps: When I change settings of my default apps to preferred one and then restart the system, the preferred disappear and they come to the default settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-with-default-apps/ec2e27b3-3480-4e8a-bcdf-02bd28ecc4a3
  7. App caused a problem with the default app settings.

App caused a problem with the default app settings.: After the latest Windows Home update, Windows is giving the message 'An app caused a problem with the default app setting files, so it was reset to Photos. A similar messsage appears for .cr2 files and .NEF files. All of my 'photo' and 'image editing programs are...
  8. App defaults resetting

App defaults resetting: How can I lock my defaults and prohibit Windows 10 from resetting them? Why isn't there a simple checkbox to lock defaults? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/app-defaults-resetting/77707996-8b34-444a-9c68-678d2dfebe69
  9. Default Apps Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Apps Problem: I go into settings and change my default app for photo viewing and Windows keeps changing it back to the windows photo app. I prefer my software for photos. What can I do? Thanks 35371
  10. Problem with Default apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Default apps: Hello again everyone, This is something else I found happening to my PC since the installation of the windows 10 pro (service pack) update. I change all the default apps to apps I prefer to use by selecting them as you would in the defaults app area. I have been using these...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. an app caused a problem with default app

2. an app caused a problem with the default app

3. an app caused a problem with the default

4. an app caused a problem with tge d,
  5. an app caused a problem with the default setting,
  6. an app default was reset windows 10