Windows 10: An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

Discus and support An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; For the past couple of days, I am getting an error message every time I switch on my Laptop. It says: "you are attempting to open a file of type... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kunal16, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Kunal16 Win User

An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

For the past couple of days, I am getting an error message every time I switch on my Laptop. It says: "you are attempting to open a file of type 'system file' .dll".I looked up the solution on Google and I came across this answer by Barb Bowman.I did what she said but it didn't solve my issue. How do I diagnose and fix this problem? I have not seen any other problems, but I want to make sure this is not symptomatic of a deeper problem.

:)

Kunal16, Jan 21, 2022
  2. Robert11 Win User

Opening A .dll file ?

Hello,

I have a file that the installation process for a new program says to open and verify if some
    box is checked.

Whenever i click on it, i get:

"You are attempting to open a file of type "System File (.dll)" etc.

There is a greyed out box at the bottom that says "OK", but it is greyed out.

How can i open it, to verify that the box is checked.
    Tried most everything i could think of.

Thanks,
    Bob

Robert11, Jan 21, 2022
  3. .dll Files open Windows Photo Viewer - Can I change this?

Hi Wyatt,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What exactly happens when you try to access the pictures on your computer?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Does this issue persists only with the .dll files?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system that might have resulted in this issue?

Try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run SFC scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a
    Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Step 2: Check if the .dll files are set as default under Default programs.

• Press Windows key, type default programs
      and select Default Programs.
    • Click on Set your default programs.
    • Under Programs in the left pane, click on the program you wish to access photos with and click on
      Choose defaults for this program.
    • Under Extensions check if .dll
      is check marked or not. If not, check the box for .dll files.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing photos on your computer for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 21, 2022
  4. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Jan 21, 2022
Thema:

An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

1. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll - Similar Threads - error message attempting

2. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll: I wrote a Visual studio solution and then made an installed copy of it when I run the application this error appears every time. How can I fix it?...
  3. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll: I wrote a Visual studio solution and then made an installed copy of it when I run the application this error appears every time. How can I fix it?...
  4. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll: For the past couple of days, I am getting an error message every time I switch on my Laptop. It says: "you are attempting to open a file of type 'system file' .dll".I looked up the solution on Google and I came across this answer by Barb Bowman.I did what she said but it...
  5. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll: For the past couple of days, I am getting an error message every time I switch on my Laptop. It says: "you are attempting to open a file of type 'system file' .dll".I looked up the solution on Google and I came across this answer by Barb Bowman.I did what she said but it...
  6. About missing dll files error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About missing dll files error.: So I was doing some edits on premiere pro and wanted to install the topaz ai video enhancer for my video. I used the free trial of the software and before importing my video I closed premiere pro and all other apps. After using that I was not satisfied with the video. So I...
  7. About missing dll files error.

About missing dll files error.: So I was doing some edits on premiere pro and wanted to install the topaz ai video enhancer for my video. I used the free trial of the software and before importing my video I closed premiere pro and all other apps. After using that I was not satisfied with the video. So I...
  8. Gsdll32.dll error message opening .AI files

Gsdll32.dll error message opening .AI files: I'm a long time user of the excellent IrfanView for image files viewing and some basic editing. As most of you probably know, it supports a wide range of image file formats, .AI files included. The problem is that it can open some but not all .AI files. When it fails to open...
  9. Attempting to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Attempting to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll): A couple weeks ago, my computer crashed while running MS Excel. After rebooting, I wasn't able to save the recovered files. A window would pop up saying it's trying to connect with "C:\Users\satchitbanada" but, for some reason it wasn't connecting. When I opened file...
  10. You are attempting to open a file of type Application extension .dll

in Windows 10 Customization
    You are attempting to open a file of type Application extension .dll: Each time I log on to my PC a message pops up that says "You are attempting to open a file of type Application extension .dll". It then asks me to choose a program to launch the file, but then doesn't attempt to open anything, and only opens "Settings" saying one of my...