Windows 10: An experience of upgrading to 20H2 - comments/advice appreciated

Discus and support An experience of upgrading to 20H2 - comments/advice appreciated in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, having just upgraded from 1903 to 20H2, I've quickly noted a few oddities, so any helpful comments from those who've trodden this path will be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by dalchina, May 4, 2021.

1. dalchina Win User

An experience of upgrading to 20H2 - comments/advice appreciated

Hi, having just upgraded from 1903 to 20H2, I've quickly noted a few oddities, so any helpful comments from those who've trodden this path will be appreciated- thanks! I stayed with 1903 for ages, deftly avoiding all the caffufle about Windows search in early 1909 builds. Updating to 20H2 on my Thinkpad T440S was relatively painless, however: a. No driver for my PCI port. Tried Drivermax, Snappy Driver too. Resolved via MS Catalog via hardware id. Ref. Try3's useful post. b. All my reminders which had been set using Cortana and Calendar have been lost. How do you set reminders in 20H2? Used to be by voice via Cortana, but I understand that's different in 20H2. 3rd party solution needed? c. Cortana reports: Sorry, but Cortana is not available in English (United Kingdom) at this time. All UK language packs checked. Resolved: downloaded and updated Cortana from Store; once done and notification received that it had been updated, I was prompted to sign in to Cortana. Here is how you can fix the "Cortana is not available" issue in Windows 10 May 2020 Update(version 2004) - MSPoweruser As expected, Cortana is more useless than previously: 'Remind me to buy bananas tomorrow' 'Sorry, I can't help you with that'. Goodbye, Cortana. d. Settings has a banner Resolved ... not to be taken up! Hide using Vivetool (not mach2) Don't activate the "Let's Go" button in the Windows 10 Settings application - gHacks Tech News e. Search in file explorer now no longer highlights correct syntax in blue.. a feature lost when MS changed search. I expected this, but it's a disadvantage. Minor things: a. The screen glared at me most unpleasantly as I recall some years ago- integrated graphics settings had been reset to default, and took time to readjust. b. Looks like an installation of O&O Disk Image has some sort of driver issue - I don't need it, so can uninstall. - fixed- when I ran the program and was prompted to restart for necessary reconfiguration.

:)

dalchina, May 4, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Talk about confusing updates... see first vs last..

An experience of upgrading to 20H2 - comments/advice appreciated [​IMG]

dalchina, May 4, 2021
  3. Ghot Win User

Yeah LOL. They seem to cancel each other out. With the Adobe Flash removal... being the winner.

Side note: Some of these 2021 updates seem to take longer to install, than they should.
    They've started mixing the SSU in with the CU.
    So the computer has to think for a while, about which to install first. :/

But they DO work, without outside assistance.

During the installs, I can just hear the computer thinking...

Ok, install the CU. Oh wait, I need the SSU first. Ok, reverse the install of the CU, install the SSU, then go back to installing the CU.
    About as smooth as 16 grit sandpaper. *Biggrin

Ghot, May 4, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Hi, having just upgraded from 1903 to 20H2, I've quickly noted a few oddities, so any helpful comments from those who've trodden this path will be appreciated- thanks!

I stayed with 1903 for ages, deftly avoiding all the caffufle about Windows search in early 1909 builds. Updating to 20H2 on my Thinkpad T440S was relatively painless, however:

a. No driver for my PCI port. Tried Drivermax, Snappy Driver too.
    Resolved via MS Catalog via hardware id. Ref. Try3's useful post.

b. All my reminders which had been set using Cortana and Calendar have been lost.
    How do you set reminders in 20H2? Used to be by voice via Cortana, but I understand that's different in 20H2.
    3rd party solution needed?

c. Cortana reports: Sorry, but Cortana is not available in English (United Kingdom) at this time.
    All UK language packs checked.
    Resolved: downloaded and updated Cortana from Store; once done and notification received that it had been updated, I was prompted to sign in to Cortana.
    Here is how you can fix the "Cortana is not available" issue in Windows 10 May 2020 Update(version 2004) - MSPoweruser
    As expected, Cortana is more useless than previously:
    'Remind me to buy bananas tomorrow'
    'Sorry, I can't help you with that'.
    Goodbye, Cortana.

d. Settings has a banner

Resolved ... not to be taken up! Hide using Vivetool (not mach2)
    Don't activate the "Let's Go" button in the Windows 10 Settings application - gHacks Tech News

e. Search in file explorer now no longer highlights correct syntax in blue.. a feature lost when MS changed search.
    I expected this, but it's a disadvantage.

Minor things:
    a. The screen glared at me most unpleasantly as I recall some years ago- integrated graphics settings had been reset to default, and took time to readjust.

b. Looks like an installation of O&O Disk Image has some sort of driver issue - I don't need it, so can uninstall.
    - fixed- when I ran the program and was prompted to restart for necessary reconfiguration.

dalchina, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. An experience of upgrading to 20H2 - comments/advice appreciated - Similar Threads - experience upgrading 20H2

2. Windows Upgrade advice

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Upgrade advice: Hello to all windows community members,This is Kushal from Republic of India, and willing to upgrade to latest windows version 20H2 or 21H1 and if possible to Windows 11I have dell latitude e7440 which is having following specifications.Processor :- Intel core i7 4600U 4th...
  3. Constant BSOD, any help or advice would be appreciated

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Constant BSOD, any help or advice would be appreciated: Recently, I've encountered multiple blue screen crashes on my PC as well as random all of a sudden freezes that usually occur when I play a game like Warzone or Valorant. Some of the blue screen error codes I've had included unexpected kernal mode trap, cdd.ll, dxgmms2.sys,...
  4. Updating to 20H2 - my experience

Updating to 20H2 - my experience: I waited until now for the Windows Update to 20H2. Since nothing appeared so far, I decided to do it anyway. I chose to use the Windows 10 Update Assistant. I took the precaution of having made in image backup and also disabling all my third party antivirus and malware...
  5. New-build gaming PC blue screens BSOD - Advice appreciated.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New-build gaming PC blue screens BSOD - Advice appreciated.: Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I recently built a new gaming PC but unfortunately it has suffered from blue screen problems while gaming since day one. The most frequent error codes I get are IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with the...
  6. I'd appreciate advice on where to find recommendations for a laptop. Windows 10

I'd appreciate advice on where to find recommendations for a laptop. Windows 10: I have many issues with my Lenovo Legion Y520. Their Community has been giving me conflicting advice for weeks and now the site is a total shambles. I and many other users are unable to get through - I couldn't even post a private message to a Moderator - the Send/Reply...
  7. Considering going back to Zonealarm - would appreciate your comments

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Considering going back to Zonealarm - would appreciate your comments: Years back and up to the demise of my Vista machine I always used ZoneAlarm as a firewall product. The thing I liked about it most was that you could set it to prompt you every time a new program or function wanted to access the Internet or use another process. It was then up...
  8. Advice Re. B/up Strategies Using OneDrive for Business Appreciated...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Advice Re. B/up Strategies Using OneDrive for Business Appreciated...: Hi all. I'm running Win 10 on a good spec laptop. Also Office 365 Business Premium, single seat. This latter may (?) have some implications for the approach adopted - the OneDrive for Business application it includes is different to the desktop version (it stores the...
  9. Build 14366 BSODs and Reset - Advice Appreciated

Build 14366 BSODs and Reset - Advice Appreciated: Slow Ring member updated to Build 14366 yesterday with no issues (initially) Tested apps, etc, all ran normally. Post-Install ran complete scans with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and Defender, both scans reported clean Post_Install ran sfc /scannow, clean report...
  10. Upgrade Advice

Upgrade Advice: I am thinking of upgrading my system and would like any advice regarding if I would see a performance enhancement. I play most of the latest games (constant gamer) and some video/photo editing. I am only upgrading motherboard, memory and CPU. Already have a video card and...