Windows 10: An illegal state change was requested

Discus and support An illegal state change was requested in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I was trying to install Your Phone app and set it up, but was stuck at 60% progress. After some time trying to make it work, I ended up in Settings>My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MihaiCservenecz, Apr 14, 2020.

1. An illegal state change was requested

I was trying to install Your Phone app and set it up, but was stuck at 60% progress. After some time trying to make it work, I ended up in Settings>My Account, and under Your Info it said "You need to update some info for your Microsoft account. When I click to "Update info", it prompts me to enter my password, then a small window appears just like an error message, saying "An illegal state change was requested".

What is this ? And how can I solve this issue ??

Any help will be appreciated, Thank you !

:)

MihaiCservenecz, Apr 14, 2020

2. Illegal state change request???

When I tried to sign in I was told, We are unable to sign you in. An illegal state change was requested? What does that mean? I did not ask for any change!

ArthurFox1, Apr 14, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Illegal state change request???

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have a better clarity on this issue and guide you accordingly, kindly help us with the following information:

• What is the version of Windows installed on the machine?
    • When exactly do you see this error message?
    • Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to which this issue started?
    • Are you trying to sign into the PC or some application that requires your credentials?

You may also refer to
    How to ask an effective question?
    , and revert to us with as much information as possible.

We await your response.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Apr 14, 2020
  4. An illegal state change was requested

Illegal state change request???

What is the version of Windows installed on the machine?

I have the latest edition of Windows 10.

When exactly do you see this error message?

I was informed by Windows that I need to fix something (nothing specific) about my account. I gave my password and got that error.

Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to which this issue started?

The only changes I have seen have been an endless loop of asking my password. That happened yesterday when I got that error and it happened each time I tried to sign in. I even tried restarting the computer. Same result. (this has happened for a while but
    not for about a week or so). I am just tired of it and cannot find a coherent explanation anywhere online.

Are you trying to sign into the PC or some application that requires your credentials?

Yes. I am trying to sign into my Windows live account.

ArthurFox1, Apr 14, 2020
Thema:

An illegal state change was requested

1. An illegal state change was requested - Similar Threads - illegal state change

2. Illegal State Change Requested?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Illegal State Change Requested?: I've been trying to sign in to my Microsoft account so I could update my computer to Windows 11 for what's felt like a year. I recently tried signing in to recover some information but got an "Illegal State Change Requested" notification when I did. I never requested any...
  3. Illegal State Change Requested?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Illegal State Change Requested?: I've been trying to sign in to my Microsoft account so I could update my computer to Windows 11 for what's felt like a year. I recently tried signing in to recover some information but got an "Illegal State Change Requested" notification when I did. I never requested any...
  4. Illegal State Change Requested?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. illegal state change requested error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    illegal state change requested error.: i just got the new forza 5 horizon and noticed when i try to make a convoy/party on pc it asked me to login and i did and it prompted me that there was a illegal state change requested and it can't sign me in. however i can login to my account fine on google or any browser...
  6. illegal state change requested error.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    illegal state change requested error.: i just got the new forza 5 horizon and noticed when i try to make a convoy/party on pc it asked me to login and i did and it prompted me that there was a illegal state change requested and it can't sign me in. however i can login to my account fine on google or any browser...
  7. illegal state change requested error.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  8. An illegal state change was requested.

An illegal state change was requested.: I am encountering this error again and again when I am trying to sign in into my laptop. I didn't request for any kind of state change. I just changed my password as I was unable to download apps from Microsoft Store. My laptop has windows 10. And there were no changes that...
  9. Illegal State was requested

Illegal State was requested: I basically have the same question as here. I have reset the password. Added information to my Microsoft account. I receive the "Illegal State was requested" when verifying my account in "your info"....
  10. Illegal state change request???

Illegal state change request???: When I tried to sign in I was told, We are unable to sign you in. An illegal state change was requested? What does that mean? I did not ask for any change! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/illegal-state-change-request/cc853370-7c39-428c-9a32-b49b7c535e9b

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is an illegal state change was requested means

2. an illegal state change was requested windows

3. an illegal state change was requested