Windows 10: An important question before clean install

Discus and support An important question before clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm planning on doing clean install of Windows 10 for my PC this weekend. Currently I'm also using W10. I am going to install onto the same hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by zablablukas, Jul 5, 2016.

1. An important question before clean install

I'm planning on doing clean install of Windows 10 for my PC this weekend. Currently I'm also using W10. I am going to install onto the same hard drive (SSD) as it is currently installed. It will put the older version of W10 into a Windows.old folder which I'm going to back it up to an external hard drive if I ever going to need files from it. Now after that I'll launch a Disk Clean-up to remove previous Windows installations (aka Windows.old) and then I'll remove the older version of W10 from dual boot (if it will be there ofcourse). My question is: are my previously mentioned steps enough to uninstall my older version of W10 and replace it with the new one or will I still have to do something?

:)

zablablukas, Jul 5, 2016

2. Important question before buying N9

Important thing I missed to mention:

Disconnect from internet when you are installing the old version 3.0.0.290
    [/i]

Otherwise you will not be able to install this version.

I did it in this way and I am syncing now calendar and contacts with outlook using 3.2.98 which I have installed afterwards without deinstaling the old version.

vision

winny---01, Jul 5, 2016
  3. Important question before buying N9

Trying to install old Ovi Suite -- it sayd mandatory updates shall be downloaded to continue installation process -- I guess this will bering Ovi Suite to latest version and no support of N9, How did you handle this?

wdexplorer, Jul 5, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

An important question before clean install

Windows will not "uninstall" itself. A clean install will wipe everything from the HDD so be sure to have copied anything you don't want to lose to a different drive. You may also need to save the drivers for devices if you installed any hardware after the initial install of Win10, may have them in the Downloads Folder, that's where mine are.

Berton, Jul 5, 2016
  5. Ok I'll make sure to back those up aswell. So if a clean install wipes everything I will not need to do any other actions to make sure the old version of W10 is out of my PC after I get rid of the Windows.old folder?

zablablukas, Jul 5, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    Right. That's the way I do it.

Berton, Jul 5, 2016
  7. Gotcha. Thank You for Your time!

zablablukas, Jul 5, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Just to be clear - there won't be a Windows.old folder to get rid of. To do a clean install you erase the entire hard drive before you install Windows 10 to it.

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2016
  9. Ok got it. But just out of curiosity. I've already had experience with this back when I was using Windows 7. Does overwritting the current version of Windows and later on deletting the Windows.old folder remove the the previous installation of Windows which you had?

zablablukas, Jul 5, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, on that partition, yes. But there will likely be remnants of the old OS in other partitions, such as recovery partitions.

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2016
  11. Can these leftovers damage a PC in any way?

zablablukas, Jul 5, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, just take up space on the hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2016
  13. An important question before clean install

Ok got it. Thanks!

zablablukas, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. An important question before clean install - Similar Threads - important question before

2. Last minute questions before i start clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Last minute questions before i start clean install: Thanks to this great forum I have been gathering a heap of information for a new W10 Install to replace my existing W7 Pro – which I am about to start. I shall be going for W10 Home edition. I now have a Bootable USB version of W10 Home via MCT, purchased an OEM ‘unused’ W10...
  3. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: Hi All Do i just stick in a Ei.cfg or a PID into my flash drive sources folder prior to a clean install of 1809 or 1903 in the future? i know if i do a system clean install of 1809, then later upgrade to 1903, then i'll avoid i think the Reserved storage coming with it....
  4. Clean install question

Clean install question: About to do a clean install on a PC that has 10 on it and activated. It was a windows 7 machine that had the free 10 offer installed. Will it activate when the clean install is complete? I thought the key was embedded but not sure. When I get to where to install it, can I...
  5. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: I have a slight twist on the clean install question. Could not find a clear answer on the forum or the internets. Win 7 pro computer (homebuilt) 1. Get current win 7 installation up to date and cleaned up. 2. Remove Win 7 OS SSD 3. Put in clean formatted SSD 4. Clean...
  6. Clean install questions

Clean install questions: I just upgraded my computer from 7 to 10 from the free upgrade using windows update. I now want to do my clean install but have a couple questions before i do it. The first is about activating i read somewhere that you can use your windows 7 key with the new build. So do i...
  7. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: I read that a clean install rebuilds partitions and makes a recovery partition. My question is does it allow you to pick the size of the partition that Windows 10 is installed to ? I have a 1 terabyte drive but like to install in a 100gig partition. I think I will...
  8. Question before performing a clean installation

Question before performing a clean installation: I will be clean installing Windows 10 and was looking to make sure that my Personal synced settings are backed up and reinstalled during the installation process. I'm just looking for some feedback from the rest of the guys on the forum. Are there other users who have PC or...
  9. Clean install question

Clean install question: I am about to do a clean install windows 10. The hard drive has 3 partitions and all on it is wacked. Should I pull the drive and make a single partition or will the install do it? 100595
  10. Clean install question.

Clean install question.: It's been stated that after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10. Does anyone know yet how this will happen? Will Microsoft provide a link to download the .iso or will it be a case of converting the esd to iso. I've...