Windows 10: an odd situation has developed with windows defender updates

Discus and support an odd situation has developed with windows defender updates in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi! When I first got this computer, Windows Defender Updates were automatically installed. Then, in recent months, they weren't. When I realized... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by gravitonz, Apr 15, 2019.

1. gravitonz Win User

an odd situation has developed with windows defender updates

Hi! When I first got this computer, Windows Defender Updates were automatically installed. Then, in recent months, they weren't. When I realized this, I clicked Check For Updates in Windows Defender, but it just kept checking and never stopped, but no updates were installed. So then I went to the Windows Defender portal to manually download updates, and downloaded the latest update (this was on April 10th). I opened the downloaded file-- well, I right-clicked and selected Open, anyway-- but I wasn't sure if it was installed. However, I later saw that my Windows Defender's latest updating took place at 5:51 PM on April 10th, so I felt satisfied.

However, that satisfaction was short-lived. Why? Because today, April 15th, after turning on the computer and waiting an hour, first, I saw that no automatic updating had taken place. But what's worse, I went to the Windows Defender portal just as before to manually download, did so, right-clicked the downloaded material (new definition, as of Apr 15th), selected Open, and waited. But now, about two hours later, Windows Defender is still showing the last update was at 5:51 PM on Apr 10th! So, this time, the manual download has failed! What's going on-- and more relevantly, what should I do now-- first to install the newest update, and second, to restore the automatic updating process.

Incidentally, I'm writing this on my other computer, which runs Windows 8.1. The computer experiencing the Windows Defender Updating problems is a Dell running Windows 10.

:)

gravitonz, Apr 15, 2019

2. Windows update and windows defender issues

We suggest you to avoid installing any cleaner or anti-virus software that may interrupt the function of Windows Defender. Make sure that Windows Defender is always on. To do this follow these steps:

• On the Start menu, type Windows Defender and hit enter.
    • Click Settings.
    • Turn Real-time protection on.
    We also recommend you to install the latest update for Windows Defender.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Apr 15, 2019
  3. P4-630 Win User
    SEtting up automatic updates for windows defender on windows 8

I have found this on the internet en have set up a task for automatic definitions update for Windows Defender but a window pops up when this starts to run.
    Is there a way to set this without any window popping up so that it just runs in the background?

Now I'm using
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

I'm currrently using it as described here:
    https://forum.raymond.cc/threads/let-your-windows-8-defender-update-itself-automatically.34359/

P4-630, Apr 15, 2019
  4. an odd situation has developed with windows defender updates

Defender updates no longer shown

Sorry but I just want to see Defender updates listed in my update history. Updates for office 2010 etc are shown so why not Windows Defender?

ThomasLangford, Apr 15, 2019
Thema:

an odd situation has developed with windows defender updates

1. an odd situation has developed with windows defender updates - Similar Threads - odd situation has

2. Possible Virus/Malware - Odd Situation - Please look out for this.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible Virus/Malware - Odd Situation - Please look out for this.: Hi everyone,I could really use some help here.Not sure if this is a possible false alarm or anything but I would rather be safe than sorry, plus this could help the next person if they have a similar problem.I left my laptop on while I was out for about an hour because I was...
  3. Possible Virus/Malware - Odd Situation - Please look out for this.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Possible Virus/Malware - Odd Situation - Please look out for this.: Hi everyone,I could really use some help here.Not sure if this is a possible false alarm or anything but I would rather be safe than sorry, plus this could help the next person if they have a similar problem.I left my laptop on while I was out for about an hour because I was...
  4. Very odd Acer battery situation

in Windows 10 Support
    Very odd Acer battery situation: The Acer netbook originally had a battery of model number AC14B8K. I bought one that looked identical and was lower priced, with a model number of AC14B3K (Notice the 3 instead of 8). I plugged it in, it didn't charge. There is a battery reset button on the motherboard and...
  5. Odd Defender Scan Report

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Odd Defender Scan Report: After a quick scan, Defender reports the correct scan time. After a while it nags me to perform another scan but reports the last scan was done in 2013 (see below). Why does Defender keep losing track of its scans and is there a fix for this odd behaviour? [img] 141135
  6. Windows Defender behaving oddly...

Windows Defender behaving oddly...: Hi. Several manual attempts to run Defender in Windows 10 Pro on a Dell 7280 (RAM 16g and SSD at 65% capacity) resulted in only 15 files being scanned using both Quick and Full scan modes. Windows, Defender and all updates appear to be current. Defender was set for...
  7. Windows 10 19H2 update development has reportedly started

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 19H2 update development has reportedly started: As the release of Windows 10’s Spring 2019 update (19H1) approaches, Microsoft has been gearing up to prepare the first build for the second major update of the year. Windows 10 19H1 update appears to be in the final stage of development and Bug Bash for the update will kick...
  8. Odd exclusions in Windows Defender

Odd exclusions in Windows Defender: Hi all. I just ran a quick scan as I frequently do and discovered a bunch of exclusions that I did not add with the exception of the one for Malwarebytes. Did Windows do this itself? Can these be safely removed? Lastly since I mentioned it, is the Malwarebytes exclusion...
  9. Odd issue developed - boot option screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd issue developed - boot option screen: Any idea why on the odd occasion when I start my notebook the menu appears to select the boot option, the last being to start windows? I just go to this and hit enter and all is OK It has done it twice now in the last couple of weeks.. Stuart 69631
  10. Odd Windows 10 Reinstallation(?) Situation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Odd Windows 10 Reinstallation(?) Situation: So I needed to take the SSD out of my laptop running the most recent build of Windows 10 and edit some data on that SSD on a different computer using an external connector. When I put the SSD back in, I wasn't having any problems with the drive of the OS, but a few days later...