Windows 10: An unannounced update or upgrade changed my defaults and won't let me change them back

Discus and support An unannounced update or upgrade changed my defaults and won't let me change them back in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I came home from work the other day and my laptop had rebooted after an apparent update or upgrade - not sure which, but usually it asks first - this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SWulf54, Feb 12, 2021.

1. SWulf54 Win User

An unannounced update or upgrade changed my defaults and won't let me change them back

I came home from work the other day and my laptop had rebooted after an apparent update or upgrade - not sure which, but usually it asks first - this time it just did it while I wasn't watching. Now my laptop is like a war zone to me. I use Chrome, and thankfully that default stayed, but now Bing keeps hijacking my searches, even though I have Google as my default, and any map links now go to Map instead of Google Maps, and nothing I have been able to try, including downloading Google Earth, has restored that functionality.

I want my default of Google Maps back! I use it across my devices, and I am very upset at this high handed bully tactic! If I was using Edge I could understand the defaults being different, but MS has no right to alter my defaults within Chrome!

Now, how do I get Google Maps back as my default?

:)

SWulf54, Feb 12, 2021
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Feb 12, 2021
  3. Volume Mute Light won´t change color

Before I follow your suggestions, a quick update: as the updating didn´t seem to work I stopped trying and just left it alone for awhile. About a half hour later I looked over and saw that the mute light was now blue. I tried the button but it and the volume buttons did not work at all. On the screen I was told that I needed to reboot, which I did and now the system has returned back to the way it was before: everything works except that the mute light does not change to blue as it should when the speakers are not muted. WTF?

mrsnakeman, Feb 12, 2021
  4. An unannounced update or upgrade changed my defaults and won't let me change them back

Volume Mute Light won´t change color

I can´t find anything that addresses my actual problem.I have seen that others have also experienced this problem but I have not found a solution that works. My ProBook was originally Win 7 pro, updated to Win 10 pro but HP won´t update because of its age (for me, brand new-just bought it a few days ago) so I don´t really know what to do. Sure, just a minor glitch but a very irritating one (that orange is just way too bright!) that should be a snap to fix (or not-I don´t know, I think my 4 year old granddaughter has better computer skills than I do!) English is not the default language so many of the commands must be translated-just another hassel to deal with. I finally found the systemconfig. box. Selective start and discovered that ALL the service boxes are checked. Good, bad, doesn´t make a difference: I just don´t know.

mrsnakeman, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

An unannounced update or upgrade changed my defaults and won't let me change them back

1. An unannounced update or upgrade changed my defaults and won't let me change them back - Similar Threads - unannounced update upgrade

2. it won't let me change pin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    it won't let me change pin: the power went out and when I turned on the pc again I got met with the bit key screen so I got the bit key. Then it said that my pin had to change for security changes on this device which is **** retarded but whatever, then when I press the "set up key" button literally...
  3. it won't let me change pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    it won't let me change pin: the power went out and when I turned on the pc again I got met with the bit key screen so I got the bit key. Then it said that my pin had to change for security changes on this device which is **** retarded but whatever, then when I press the "set up key" button literally...
  4. It won't let me change the time zone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It won't let me change the time zone: Yesterday I reinstalled windows and everything is perfect, except for the fact that it does not allow me to change the time zone in the settings or in the control panel. In the settings I see the option in gray as disabled and I can not change it to have my time zone. I hope...
  5. recent big update this week changed my default settings and keeps changing them back after...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recent big update this week changed my default settings and keeps changing them back after...: I go to the settings page and go back to my original default settings, but after a reboot it keeps going back to making Edge my default browser, and docs on one drive and adobe edge... getting very annoying...looks like you are pushing your other products as defaults... I...
  6. Windows 10 changed my webcam drivers and won't let me change back

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 changed my webcam drivers and won't let me change back: I got a Logitech c920 webcam two years ago. Everything was fine. Then a while back, I started having issues with the camera. It would just suddenly go off during a Zoom meeting, or worse, it would switch to my laptop computer and show my crotch instead of my face. When I...
  7. S-Mode & Won't Let Me Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    S-Mode & Won't Let Me Change: I have a valid Windows 10 program, purchased a couple of years ago, not shared with anyone. My computer froze multiple times yesterday while trying to reboot. I tried re-setting to the previous day's reset point when it was working just fine, but nothing. The only way to get...
  8. Windows won't let me change the language

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't let me change the language: So i added romanian as a language bc i needed the keyboard layout and windows changed the system language to romanian despite it being at the bottom and won't let me change it back to english and it says "will be the display language after the next connection" (translated...
  9. Won't let me change my product key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Won't let me change my product key: My computer previously had an illegitimate version of windows 10 but it caused to many problems, so I purchased an actual version, but when I go to activate windows with my new product key, it won't work and gives me the error code 0xc004f050. Idk what to do....
  10. windows won't let me change default format audio for my mic

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows won't let me change default format audio for my mic: My new microphone's default format is set to 16 bit 44100. I need to change it to studio quality, but as soon as I close the window of the sound options is changes back. any way to fix this?...