Windows 10: An update on Unified Update Platform (UUP) for Windows 10

Discus and support An update on Unified Update Platform (UUP) for Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Back in November, we announced the next generation of our delivery technologies called the Unified Update Platform (UUP). Windows Insiders are the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

An update on Unified Update Platform (UUP) for Windows 10

Source: An update on our Unified Update Platform (UUP) - Windows Experience Blog

:)

Brink, Mar 1, 2017
  2. Martmcd Win User

how Big is the Creators Update?

As DaveM121 has pointed out, we won't know until its released.

the last two insider builds (professional, not release candidates) took 40 - 50 minutes to install after the download.

Microsoft have switched to UUP(Unified Update Platform) to deliver new builds, one of the biggest benefits UUP brings is a reduction in download size of build updates on PCs.

An update on our Unified Update Platform (UUP) - Windows Experience Blog

a (very) rough estimate based on what I can see on my pc, download is between 2.6 and 3GB.

Martmcd, Mar 1, 2017
  3. suat.cini Win User
    KB4025342 x64 refusing to install

Hi.

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

As I indicated in my first post, I already downloaded the full update package and installed it.

Therefore, I may refer to your solution for the next update.

But I believe the problem lies with the DELTA ( partial-incremental ) update. This partial update method is new and is being implemented for the Windows Fall Creators Update under the name UUP ( Unified Update Platform ).

This UUP update method is currently under testing for Fall Creators Update and it is creating more problems than it is solving.

It seems that a similar program is being run for the public release.

I may be wrong, though.

Thanks again for your kind help.

suat.cini, Mar 1, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

This is actually quite a good blog.

The interesting part (if I interpret it correctly) is not only does it download just files that have changed, it can also just download (in effect) part of a file that has changed (differential uup) and modify file accordingly.

Also, if I understand it correctly, it can only apply a differential uup if you are on a certain build (or beyond?). If on earlier build it will do a canonical build.

I must admit I am unclear if that means just files that have changed are downloaded in full (no by difference mods to individual files), or if it means all OS files are downloaded (like the install.esd). I think it means the former ie download is smaller than install.esd but larger than if a diff uup can be applied.

cereberus, Mar 2, 2017
  5. Ztruker Win User
    The problem with this method unless its done correctly is corrupted files on your PC. I'm guessing they are doing some kind of hash comparison of the files on your PC before deciding what needs to be downloaded. That may explain why it takes awhile before the downloads actually begin as it has a lot of hash generation and validation to do first.

Ztruker, Mar 2, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    It rebuilds files decompressing them from the well protected winsxs folders, not already deconpressed files that are more easily corrupted.

cereberus, Mar 2, 2017
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    That's the theory, except it does not work this way yet.

We know that component store corruption often defeats DISM servicing, so we may need to revert to clean SOURCE files so that DISM can complete restorehealth servicing.

All the files required to clean-install the most recent insider version can be found in the windows\softwaredistribution\downloads\6c48ae8725d8c636de23433f710fa13d\ folder, (or a similar same-length string name for a different version).

Except for those who experience bad Windows Update downloads on occasion - it has happened to most of us at some time or other - UUPtoISO ( la Kari) could not work otherwise.

Note that the versions of all the files in their properties post-build-update by this method belong to the new version, and not to the version in the previous winsxs files.

One thing that Microsoft is keen to avoid is the franken-dll-hell that happened with updates in Windows 7, requiring service packs to sort out the mess, hence the cumulative update model, which will hopefully correct any shortcomings of a delta-based build update by UUP, when it eventually arrives in its complete form.

Fafhrd, Mar 2, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Are you saying downloads all OS files anyway? If so where is the gain?

cereberus, Mar 2, 2017
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    I see no evidence of a, say, reduction to 70% size of the new windows download compared to earlier versions - it's still around 2GB(+/-10%) for x86 and about 2.5GB(+/-10%) for x64 - these are files and folders using LZX compression, so they can be decompressed by a factor of up to 9x. the setup files as found in the Isos produced from these are typically 3.5GB to just over 4 GB for x64.

So far there is no gain, but it will change, hopefully.
    However, if delta upgrades do start getting sent to us soon, there is no way to clean install, without an additional download of the full setup media, in the case of a screwed up update - so that's a double whammy.

I'd prefer to get the full compressed download from WU, and the choice to create install media or to upgrade instead of the obligatory upgrade from the update files.

Fafhrd, Mar 2, 2017
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    The EN-GB 15048 downloads folder \f898...etc., clocked in at 2.52 GB (2709047367 bytes) - pretty average for a full x64 download.

An update on Unified Update Platform (UUP) for Windows 10 [​IMG]

Fafhrd, Mar 2, 2017
  11. swarfega Win User
    Is UUP enables by default?

swarfega, Mar 2, 2017
  12. Fafhrd Win User
    Yes, it is default method.

Fafhrd, Mar 2, 2017
  13. swarfega Win User

Thanks. I have to say, apart from build 15042 I've never had a problem with updating.

swarfega, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. An update on Unified Update Platform (UUP) for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - update Unified Update

2. Delta Download giving timeout errors with April Unified Update Platform UUP update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delta Download giving timeout errors with April Unified Update Platform UUP update: Hi,We are facing issue while downloading April/May 2023 cummulative update UUP.Issue is not specific to a device, its same for all Win11 22H2 clients.Excerpts from Delta Download logs from different devices in different scenarios - Failed to send HTTP Response....
  3. Delta Download giving timeout errors with April Unified Update Platform UUP update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delta Download giving timeout errors with April Unified Update Platform UUP update: Hi,We are facing issue while downloading April/May 2023 cummulative update UUP.Issue is not specific to a device, its same for all Win11 22H2 clients.Excerpts from Delta Download logs from different devices in different scenarios - Failed to send HTTP Response....
  4. KB4529943 Unified Update Platform for Windows 10 version 1903 - Nov. 7 Win Update

in Windows 10 News
    KB4529943 Unified Update Platform for Windows 10 version 1903 - Nov. 7 Win Update: Update for Unified Update Platform for Windows 10, version 1903: November 7, 2019 Applies to: Windows 10 version 1903 Summary This update has been made available on a limited basis to customers participating in a preview of Unified Update Platform (UUP). It is currently...
  5. Microsoft rolls out Unified Update Platform preview update KB4529943

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft rolls out Unified Update Platform preview update KB4529943: Microsoft released KB4529943 yesterday to devices that participate in the Unified Update Platform preview. The update will be released later to devices that run Windows 10 and don't participate in the UUP preview program. The company revealed in November 2016 that it had...
  6. KB4512744 Unified Update Platform for Windows 10 version 1709 Sept. 19 Win Update

in Windows 10 News
    KB4512744 Unified Update Platform for Windows 10 version 1709 Sept. 19 Win Update: Update for Unified Update Platform for Windows 10 version 1709: September 19, 2019 Applies to: Windows 10 version 1709 Summary This update has been made available on a limited basis to customers participating in a preview of Unified Update Platform (UUP). It is currently...
  7. KB4512745 Unified Update Platform for Windows 10 version 1803 Sept. 19 Win Update

in Windows 10 News
    KB4512745 Unified Update Platform for Windows 10 version 1803 Sept. 19 Win Update: Update for Unified Update Platform for Windows 10 version 1803: September 19, 2019 Applies to: Windows 10 version 1803 Summary This update has been made available on a limited basis to customers participating in a preview of Unified Update Platform (UUP). It is currently...
  8. KB4514987 Unified Update Platform for Windows 10 version 1809 Sept. 19 Win Update

in Windows 10 News
    KB4514987 Unified Update Platform for Windows 10 version 1809 Sept. 19 Win Update: Update for Unified Update Platform for Windows 10 version 1809: September 19, 2019 Applies to: Windows 10 version 1809 Summary This update has been made available on a limited basis to customers participating in a preview of Unified Update Platform (UUP). It is currently...
  9. Introducing Unified Update Platform (UUP) for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing Unified Update Platform (UUP) for Windows 10: We’ve updated over 400 million devices running Windows 10 to date and release new builds to Windows Insiders nearly every week. That is pretty incredible if you think about where we were just 2 years ago. But we know we can do even better! Our customers have told us they...
  10. Introducing Unified Update Platform (UUP)

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing Unified Update Platform (UUP): We’ve updated over 400 million devices running Windows 10 to date and release new builds to Windows Insiders nearly every week. That is pretty incredible if you think about where we were just 2 years ago. But we know we can do even better! Our customers have told us they...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Unified Update Platform

2. unified update platform source code

3. update platform for windows 10

4. windows unified platform hack,
  5. problems with unified update platform,
  6. uup windows 10 download,
  7. Unified Update Platform (UUP),
  8. uup unified update platform,
  9. uup unified update platform release