Windows 10: An Upgrade and a New Computer are not the same thing

Discus and support An Upgrade and a New Computer are not the same thing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Nothing really important here just a story about things that do and don't work. I have a Dell XPS 8100 (ex Win 7) upgraded to Win 10 and a new Dell XPS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CalBear37, Aug 8, 2015.

1. CalBear37 Win User

An Upgrade and a New Computer are not the same thing

Nothing really important here just a story about things that do and don't work. I have a Dell XPS 8100 (ex Win 7) upgraded to Win 10 and a new Dell XPS 8700 with Win 10 installed.

Problem with the XPS 8700...oops your Dell 1320c Color Laser printer doesn't have a Win 10 driver so it won't work. Interesting, it works fine on the XPS 8100 upgraded to Win 10. So an upgrade didn't replace the driver and the old driver won't install correctly on the XPS 8700. Work-around - the wife's Win 7 upgraded from XP will act as a print "server" so score one for an upgrade.

Problem with the XPS 8100 upgrade is some strange Intel disk related software was taking 23% of the CPU power for hours and hours. After a few experiments it turned out to be okay to uninstall the Intel stuff and the original Win 7 drivers made the system happy. The same Intel stuff is in the XPS 8700 but it is not taking any noticeable CPU power so it is happy. Score one for the new Win 10 computer.

:)

CalBear37, Aug 8, 2015

2. I just bought a new laptop and the first thing it did was download Windows 10

Thanks so much. I just turned the computer off for about five minutes and then back on and it booted right up. Thanks for all of your information.

Debbiedoo1110, Aug 8, 2015
  3. I just bought a new laptop and the first thing it did was download Windows 10

Hello Debbie,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with after upgrading to Windows 10, the welcome screen is just sitting there with the circle going round and round in the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Step 1:

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in
    “Safe Mode”
    , let’s reboot the computer in safe mode and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some
    third party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using.

Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

• Type settings in search and click on Settings.

• Click Update and recovery, and then tap or
      click Recovery.

• Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.

• Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click
      Troubleshoot.

• If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click
      advanced options.

• Tap or click Startup Settings.

• Tap or click Restart.

• On the Startup Settings screen, choose the
      Safe Mode.

• Sign in to your PC with a user account that has
      administrator rights.
    Step 2:

If the issue does not appear in safe mode, place the computer in clean boot state and check if the issue reappears.

Placing your system in “Clean Boot” state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135?wa=wsignin1.0

If the issue does not occur in “Clean Boot”, then you may determine which application/service on the computer is causing this issue. This can be done by following the instructions for
    “Windows 8.1 and Windows 8” given in the section “How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a Clean Boot” from the same given link.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

How to use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files, please follow the steps in the link provided below.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833?wa=wsignin1.0

Note: System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how
    to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)to
    scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.
    If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

For more information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

An Upgrade and a New Computer are not the same thing

1. An Upgrade and a New Computer are not the same thing - Similar Threads - Upgrade Computer are

2. Upgrading to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading to new computer: Current PC is 7 years old running Windows 10 at 20H0 lever. Not compatible with Windows 11 because of TPM missing. I'm thinking of buying a new PC. I think I read long ago that if I sign on to the new PC with my Microsoft Account my settings and desktop would be migrated to...
  3. New Outlook Account with Same Computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Outlook Account with Same Computer: I no longer want to have my current outlook email on my windows 10 computer. I have a new outlook account I would like to use instead but I don't want to lose any of my data on my computer. I have a ton of music and pictures that I can't lose. Will anything happen if I remove...
  4. Pro upgrade to new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pro upgrade to new computer: Hi all, Bought new Dell, upgraded to Win 10 Pro through the store, the Dell died young (motherboard, I guess). Bought new HP box, tried to transfer Pro package that has a digital license, but they want a key. Posted on Microsoft Answers how to do, they say can't transfer...
  5. the cloud and one drive the same thing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    the cloud and one drive the same thing?: Is the cloud and one drive the same thing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-cloud-and-one-drive-the-same-thing/1febb200-7441-4c52-bc95-1810bbadcc1a
  6. Is this a new thing in the settings?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is this a new thing in the settings?: [ATTACH] I only just saw this today, with it showing me to sign in and the attention to the update. Can I get rid of that stuff at the top? I never made an account and didn't plan to, plus it wasn't there before... I should also mention that I only started using Win 10 at...
  7. New computer same license.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New computer same license.: Hi, i just got my new computer and installed windows but it doesn't want to activate. I upgraded from win 7 or 8 a few years ago to win 10 (pro?) and haven't had any trouble with my license on the other computer. The harddrives from the old computer have been formatted and...
  8. My computer thinks the speakers and the headphones are the same thing.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My computer thinks the speakers and the headphones are the same thing.: Windows 10 home, 64-bit. Starting yesterday the sound on my desktop has been acting wierd. I always have my desktop with the speakers plugged in at the jack at the back and my headphones out the front. I can easily switch between the two by going to my sound options at the...
  9. Printer continually prints the same thing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer continually prints the same thing: I have an HP Officejet 4630 printer that my HP laptop uses. The laptop has Windows 10, Version 1803, OS 17134.345. As soon as I log into the computer, my printer will continually print the last job that I printed. I'll hit cancel and it will stop it, only to start again a...
  10. Will upgrade be in same language as computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Will upgrade be in same language as computer: I live in Spain,and bought my computer here and paid at the shop to have the language for w 8.1 to be in English. Will the upgrade be in English or Spanish. If Spanish what do i have to do to go to English. Thanks . 14467